DE vs. Hydro

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

It took months for me to work up the courage to try the H3, after having had previous bad experiences with anything over two blades. The Mach 3 killed me; the original Fusion killed me twice. So I was surprised that the Hydro was more benign. The thought of trying the Fusion ProGlide fills me with more dread than when I first approached the DE, but I suppose I'll have to try it, just because.

As for what Paul said about injectors, I'll add that I love the experience of using them, from working the dispenser and its positive click and pop of the blade going home, to the smooth shave experience itself. Next step up would be, I guess, the Cobra Classic -- but I can't afford any more costly mistakes if it doesn't pan out, so those plans have stalled.
Ron
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

rsp1202 wrote:The thought of trying the Fusion ProGlide fills me with more dread than when I first approached the DE, but I suppose I'll have to try it, just because.
Using the ProGlide is a completely different experience to using the original Fusion. Chalk and cheese.

I could only use the 'old' Fusion on my head, but I happily off-loaded all my DE razors after using the ProGlide for a while.

I would continue to use it at twice the price.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

As long as a few guys have said they use proglides, how many shaves are you getting on a new blade. I get about 7-10. Still use DEs in rotation. 3DEs, Schick Injector, Proglide. Getting good shaves from cheap US made Personna Stainless and also carefully used Feathers in one razor.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

A year ago I got coupons for a free Hydro 3 and carts. It's still in the plastic. Trac II always gives me a super smooth shave, and it also always gives me ingrown hairs, and I really hate that. I seldom if ever use the Trac II. So, am I understanding that the 3 blade Hydro won't cause the ingrowns as often as the Trac II? I'm really enjoying my conventional razors every day. I'm tempted to open this one up and give it a try.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

The Trac II leaves me with bumps lots of times, the Sensor once in a while. The H3, never.
Ron
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Currently trying to see how long a fusion cart lasts - only problem it it takes too long! :lol:
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

alcx77 wrote:Currently trying to see how long a fusion cart lasts - only problem it it takes too long! :lol:
Yep.

I change mine once a month and that covers daily face shaves and twice-a-week head shaves ... but I reckon it'd still keep going for longer than that.

Fair dues, I only ever do one pass ATG.
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

A year ago I got coupons for a free Hydro 3 and carts. It's still in the plastic. Trac II always gives me a super smooth shave, and it also always gives me ingrown hairs, and I really hate that. I seldom if ever use the Trac II. So, am I understanding that the 3 blade Hydro won't cause the ingrowns as often as the Trac II? I'm really enjoying my conventional razors every day. I'm tempted to open this one up and give it a try.
To answer your specific question: (As always, for ME, YMMV, etc.)

I always found the Trac II to be Lucifer's razor. HATED it. ALWAYS gave me ingrowns. Every last time.

Hydro 3 . . . not one single ingrown EVER. None. Actually slightly better than DE in that category. The DE is totally fine and rarely causes me ingrowns . . . but with Hydro 3 . . . problem solved.

I would certainly encourage you to give it, say, a 2 week trial without interruption. If it is going to cause problems with ingrown hairs, it'll do it by then. However, if my personal experience is any guide, you may very well be pleasantly surprised.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I should use it. I might like it. 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Every time I am tempted to use a cartridge ( mach 3, Fusion, proglide, bic sensitive etc..) ends bad for me. Rash, swollen skin ( for 2-3 days after), ingrowns and above all 30 min straight after shaving I have feeling my skin is on fire....

I prefer my Gillette Rocket or SS, Personna Preps or SI, MWF , Proraso and musgo. Seven heaven

Dont forget the ritual of shaving, when you resign from wet shaving. It is worth to shave just for experience:)

Thats all in this matter.
Jack
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

brothers wrote:I should use it. I might like it. 8)
It's a slippery slope.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's out of the plastic and it feels good in my hand.
Gary

BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Bear in mind: It's a RAZOR. It's not heroin. I mean, it is not likely that you are making any kind of irrevocable, life altering decision here. Try it! If you like it, cool. If not, very little ventured, and nothing lost.

Enjoy!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hahahaaa. :lol: It was free! On the other hand, I paid $2 for my Gillette Guard razor, and I think $.50 apiece for 10 cartridges. I get no ingrowns from the Guard, but the quality of the shaves is not as good as the Trac II and far from comparable to what I get from the Cobra, Barbasol, and R41. If the Hydro 3 can match those shaves, it'll probably find itself in a rotation, and definitely in my traveling shave kit instead of the Guard. Now that would be nice!
Gary

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

brothers wrote:It's out of the plastic and it feels good in my hand.
Gary, if it starts talking to you, drop the razor and move slowly away from the sink.

I'm actually using the H5 handle since I think it looks slicker than the blue H3, along with the H3 blades and travel (head) case. Now, I can understand modding a Gillette DE collectible, but a cartridge razor? I have issues I hope you avoid.

:)
Ron
harper

Post by harper »

I feel sorry for people who have rash and other skin problems using cartridge razors because a cartridge razor (I use a Power Fusion) has a place for most of us. It enables me to get a very close and fast shave on those days when I don't have time to take my time. I have found I get my best shaves when I do my first pass with a Futura at 2.5 using a Feather or a Super Iridium and then the second pass with a Power Fusion. As for blade longevity, I use a cartridge for five or six shaves and then say the hell with it. I usually stop using a Feather or Super Iridium after about the same number of shaves. I have enough of both blades to last for about four years and I am 82 now so I am not skimping but I remember the days when I did!
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Nice to hear from another 82er. I use the same razors in a different mode. If I start with a Fusion ProGlide, and I want bbs, I polish with my Futur but I never set it any more aggressive than 2 (really 1.5). If i don't need bbs, I just stop with the fusion. It is never bbs for me no matter how many strokes I use.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Used the H3 today. Not bad.
Gary

harper

Post by harper »

Ouchmychin, we are not 82ers, we are octogenarians with all the dignity that polysyllabic word implies. I will try reversing the Futura/Fusion order and see if it works better for me than the order I use. The only problem I have with cartridge razors is that the cartridges tend to be overly expensive ... but, then, corporations are out to make profits or else they go broke: they are not charities!!! One of the things I have found that holds true for me as I age is that there are increasingly a number of things I don't give a damn about. I spent a fair amount of time in the Middle East and it is today in a worse mess than it was when I was going there and there is nothing I can do about it so I don't really worry about how it comes out. I don't worry about the so-called fiscal clift because I am not very sympathetic to Congress these days and in the end it will work itself out. And I don't worry that I have too many containers and tubes of shaving creams, razors, blades, cartridges and shaving brushes because I have a son in law who is into shaving so he will inherit them. Age, like the old ad about membership, has its priviliges!
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

The Hydro 3 is an OK razor. Sometimes I use it for difficult clean up on the neck and under the jaw.

Once accustomed to the feel of a DE, though, the H3 feels weird on the face. There's no sensation like that of a DE with a very sharp blade, IMO.

Fatboy, Stahly live blade head on an EJ handle, and my FaTip on a Tradere handle get me through my shave every day of the week, and I enjoy the process so much more than shaving with an H3.

But that's just me. If it suits you, by all means go for it.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."