best chain restaraunts

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

At the risk of sounding like a snob, I think that a chain restaurant by definition is a BAD restaurant. The growth of these mediocre cookie-cutter chains are driving our locally owned restaurants out of business, and are taking all sense of originality with them. I simply refuse to eat at a chain restaurant, even though the company that I work for sells a lot of our products here.

Cheers,
Craig
Cheers,

Craig
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Not Much of a Chain Restaurant Fan

Post by guenron »

But, for Italian Cuisine (Cuisine not just food) I have found Johnny Carinos to be enjoyable. B to A- consistently.
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Years ago, down in Texas, we used to frequent El Chico. I understand they have really gone downhill. I miss good Tex-Mex!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

rtaylor61 wrote:Years ago, down in Texas, we used to frequent El Chico. I understand they have really gone downhill. I miss good Tex-Mex!

Randy
I remember this restaurant in Lubbock. It's been many years since I have eaten at one. They also have them in Round Rock and Waco. I do remember their margaritas though. They were pretty tasty!
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I was 4 when we lived in Lubbock (just for one year). I remember we went to Furr's Cafeteria.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

I just stumbled upon a Morton's in Miami. Never been before. Any reviews?
guenron

Post by guenron »

rtaylor61 wrote:I was 4 when we lived in Lubbock (just for one year). I remember we went to Furr's Cafeteria.

Randy
I haven't eaten at Furrs in close to 20 years. Can't handle the salt any longer. Sure did enjoy the green beans.
Regards,
Ron

ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

How about Morrisons? or Picadilly? I think I'd have to go with Morrison's although I don't think they're around any more. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a Picadilly in a long time either.
guenron

Post by guenron »

clarkkent333 wrote:How about Morrisons? or Picadilly? I think I'd have to go with Morrison's although I don't think they're around any more. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a Picadilly in a long time either.
THink you are correct. Many years ago in Montgomery AL, Morrisons was a kuncheon spot. Luby's cafeterias were/are? decent for a quick meal. Good veggies and salads. One in Albuquerque used to have a piano player at a baby grand during dinner..
Regards,
Ron

rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

One in Albuquerque used to have a piano player at a baby grand during dinner...
A piano player at a cafeteria...that's...just...wrong!

Randy
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:At the risk of sounding like a snob, I think that a chain restaurant by definition is a BAD restaurant. The growth of these mediocre cookie-cutter chains are driving our locally owned restaurants out of business, and are taking all sense of originality with them. I simply refuse to eat at a chain restaurant, even though the company that I work for sells a lot of our products here.

Cheers,
Craig

I pretty much agree. Why don't we post a thread about the good local places where we live? That way, we have a fighting chance of finding decent food when we travel.
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

rtaylor61 wrote:Years ago, down in Texas, we used to frequent El Chico. I understand they have really gone downhill. I miss good Tex-Mex!

Randy
When I lived in Houston, ANY of the Pappas restaurants were the best. They are a chain, but a local chain.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
bebosky

Post by bebosky »

Cheeseburgers in Paradise!
Steven Hamric
hamrics@usa.redcross.org

KEEP IT WET!
ponytails

Post by ponytails »

good chain restaurant is an oxymoron. Not only have I worked for many years in the industry but I also own my own catering business. Things you should know: Olive Garden, most of their meals are pre-made frozen and "cooked" for you when you order them, of course the salad is fresh. Pappasito's in Texas used to be good, but once they went chain what happens is minus the original locations those are merely franchises. You won't find the same consistent quality from one restaurant to the next because they are all in some respect independent of each other. Good food is best found in restaurants that are unique and solitary in and of themselves; the drive behind serving the food is still caused by passion and not capitalism.
designwise1

Post by designwise1 »

The best place to eat in Harrison, Arkansas is The Benton House Restaurant (look for an upcoming review by Southern Living Magazine). Also very good is DeVito's. They have the best trout.... Wow!

By the way, any of you guys season your steaks with Cavender's Seasoning? That's made here in Harrison. Nice people. Fantastic product (they even have a no-salt version) can be purchased at Wal-Mart.

Now you can get a taste of Harrison in your own backyard.

:lol:

-Gerald
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

We like to go to Chevy's "fresh Mex" restaurants. I like the Olive Garden for salad, which is excellent, but the main courses are only so-so.

Dave
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

well, i usually like local places, but some chains, such as bravo's, are ok. when you go to a new city, you dont always know which local restaraunt is gonna be good and you also may not have time to search it out. but id rather get some local flavor than say a hard rock cafe.

that said, i heard that a cheesecake factory was opening up in greenhills area of nashville. anyone know if this is true?

sam
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

ponytails wrote:good chain restaurant is an oxymoron. Not only have I worked for many years in the industry but I also own my own catering business. Things you should know: Olive Garden, most of their meals are pre-made frozen and "cooked" for you when you order them, of course the salad is fresh. Pappasito's in Texas used to be good, but once they went chain what happens is minus the original locations those are merely franchises. You won't find the same consistent quality from one restaurant to the next because they are all in some respect independent of each other. Good food is best found in restaurants that are unique and solitary in and of themselves; the drive behind serving the food is still caused by passion and not capitalism.
Ponytails, where in Houston do you work? I used to work for a pizza products supply company in Texas, Houston specifically and we may know the same people, if not each other.

Thanks for re-energizing this post.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

By the way, any of you guys season your steaks with Cavender's Seasoning?
Is that the James Cavender Seasoning? Famous for all of the Cavender's Boot City stores? It's a great seasoning...he's a good friend of mine!

Randy
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

rtaylor61 wrote:
By the way, any of you guys season your steaks with Cavender's Seasoning?
Is that the James Cavender Seasoning? Famous for all of the Cavender's Boot City stores? It's a great seasoning...he's a good friend of mine!

Randy
Cool, I have bought a few boots and a beaver hat from his stores when I lived in Houston.....
Art