Merkur Futur -1st Impression

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

1.5 to 2, rarely above that.
Regards,
Squire
OmegaEdge

Post by OmegaEdge »

marsos52 wrote:omegaedge

as you have found out already the futur set at 3 is the point where the razor becomes aggressive

even heavy bearded experienced shavers generally keep there setting below 3

i have been using the futur for ten yrs and my beard is on the heavy side
and i keep mine at the 2 1/2 area except when using feathers (which isnt often) then i use 3

i believe squire keeps his at setting 2

marc
I agree, when I had a Slim Adj. I had it set on 5 but Futur is another animal.
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I am now nine shaves in on the Futur and I am still very impressed. I have received a BBS shave every time although the Super Iridium combo produced a little irritation on the neck. Of the blades I have used so far, the Gillette Sharp Edge (Yellow) is the clear cut leader.

In the next week I will try Feathers and Shark blades in the Futur.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

BG both Feathers and Sharks worked well in my Futur at about the same setting.
Regards,
Squire
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

futurs dont need no stinkin blades
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was wondering what was so good about the Futur.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I used to use the Futur set at 3 but eventually settled on 2.5 now. I can crank up the Gillette Fatboy to any number and it doesn't come close to the Futur in terms of closeness.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

gary asks
I was wondering what was so good about the Futur.
i think i can answer .... with ten years of use .......

the futur can use just about any blade you give it and will shave to the max (if you want to test and try blades dont use the futur)

the futur is balance and weighted to perfection. the weight is the just perfect again your face makes for a no pressure shave

it shaves so well no touch up is needed

it adjusts anywhere between 1 to 6 (ex. 2 3/4 is possible) most never get past the 3 setting unless you need to graph skin haha

it doesnt feel like any other razor expect maybe the vision

it is truely a shaving machine

these are the pro's here is the cons

heavy. heavy to hold, i had to stop using it for a while because i got really sick and had to wait to get my strengh back (for real)

the head of the razor is big and can feel awkward especially in tight spots
until you get used to it

some feel it is slippery when wet

at setting 1 and 2 its not real aggressive but after 2 1/2 your own your own i will never forget my first shave at the 3 setting but i would like too

so if you want the best shave period this is the hold grail
if you want a real good shave with less things to have on your mind
a merkur fixed head will do just fine or a edwin jagger to step things up

the futur most be respected always

i have a pretty good beard and it grows in many directions
i get great shaves with many razors and i look for more than just the shave. i always get a bbs shave. i look more for how long my shave lasts and how is grows back

with my good razors i had hold off stubble and 5 o'clock shadow for 8 to 10 hours with the futur 12 hours and i have had many times even longer thats how close the futur can get

try one on for size

marc
brothers

Post by brothers »

Marc, thanks a million for that detailed and informative response.

I do agree with you that I should get one and find out for myself, just what I've been missing. I think I know of 1 or 2 stores locally that sell Merkurs, and I just might drop in and see if they have any Futurs. There isn't any down side, because if I like it, I keep it, but if I don't, then I can sell it anytime. Thanks again, for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it very much!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Slippery handle when wet is is the only downside but that's true with any razor.
Regards,
Squire
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Wow, Marc!
Great post!

If I hadn´t already decided on getting a Futur, I shure wouldn´t be in any doubt about getting one now :D

I read some time back that one could use alum on the hands if one had trouble with slippery handles.
Eric
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

eric to be truthful about my time with a futur

the only time it gets slippery is when it gets soap on it. even if its wet
with water no problem

as with any razor i put in my hands, before it gets to my face if its wet or if my hands are wet they get towel dried first

marc
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was fortunate to purchase a beautiful Futur from David (desertbadger) this week, and it arrived today. The weight was unexpected, and I do like the heft and the feel of it. Tomorrow morning will be the first shave. I've set it on 2 to start, and we'll go from there.

I agree with Marc, I have always wanted my hands to be dry before holding any razor, so I don't foresee any problem with the Futur being slippery. I think any razor would be difficult to hold onto and control with wet hands. Or any other instrument or tool for that matter, not just razors.
Gary

gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

one thing this thread proves,,,,guys are very passionate about the futur compared to other razors. there may be a lot of gillette fanatics but i don't think there's as much excitement about one model in particular.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi gil

i think the passion for the futur is because once you get comfortable with it oddities. size and weight and different design thats unlike any other razor. and one sees and feels how amazing it shaves with just about any blade you feed it

its basically all over. nothing else compares. and nothing else gives a shave like it

i have also used slants, barberpoles and edwin jagger. all great razors and great shavers. but the futur out peforms them these others may leave you feeling that shave is equal, but let the hours pass and then the truth comes out. the futur shave will at least keep the stubble growth away several hours more than the others at a minuim

i still love my edwin jaggers and use them every other day
my favorite rotation is futur today ej tomorrow

marc
King-D

Post by King-D »

Well, I pulled the trigger. I'll post after I've had a few shaves with it.

BTW, you may use the following excuse when contemplating the purchase of a spendy razor: "It'll be a family heirloom"
David

Shave in the shower!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Darn! The way this is going, I'll ultimately yield to getting one of these, myself! :?

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Just walk toward the light Murray.
Regards,
Squire
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

Wow, this Futur love-in is dangerous to read...
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

There are those who know and those who have yet to learn.
Regards,
Squire