Cobra Classic rising

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Bob H

Post by Bob H »

Thanks. Seems like a better shave is had without the guard. I have no complaints at all about the professional.

I am not familiar with Kai blades but will check them out at some point
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think both the Feather and the Kai are reported to last somewhere around 7 to 10 good shaves before they have to be replaced.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Is there more consistency in Feather blade sharpness now, or still hit and miss? Same question as to the Cobra's finish since there was talk about a run of them having some handle-groove problems.

For me, probably best to start with a Kai or at least the guard. I gotta try this weapon, even if I don't have Squire-skin. :)
Ron
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Ron, I've always used the Feather blades in mine and no problems whatsoever. I bought the second Cobra they ever sold and the fit and finish is excellent.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

david always way ahead of the times :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have been asleep at the wheel. Been thinking of maybe getting a SE razor. Prices coming down on the Cobra?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam, good news and bad news: Yes they're still in stock. and No, not much chance of prices going down on these razors.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
never2close

Post by never2close »

I have used the Cobra exclusively since the end of August until this morning. I decided to give one of my neglected de razors an opportunity to earn its' way back into my good graces. No such luck, it was not even a close call. The Rocket was a dud. Long live the Cobra. The Cobra shaves closer and with less irritation. Go figure..........
Ken
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I'd once again banished the Cobra from my thoughts, but reading this post reminds me that if the Chick blades don't work out for my Schick injectors, there's an (albeit expensive) alternative. Always good to have an option. Thanks.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

It looks like they're unavailable at the present time. My advice is to do what I did when I got mine. Check the website often or call Classic to find out when they'll be back in stock, and then don't hesitate for a moment, buy the razor and don't worry about it.
Gary

never2close

Post by never2close »

I'm not one for hyperbole, but the Cobra is that good.
Ken
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

brothers wrote:. . . don't hesitate for a moment, buy the razor and don't worry about it.
never2close wrote:. . . the Cobra is that good.
This is just so soothing, I can't tell you. :lol:
Ron
never2close

Post by never2close »

rsp1202 wrote:
brothers wrote:. . . don't hesitate for a moment, buy the razor and don't worry about it.
never2close wrote:. . . the Cobra is that good.
This is just so soothing, I can't tell you. :lol:
Ron,
I, too, fought the purchase of the Cobra. I have 20+ beautiful double edge razors and over 3,600 premium de razor blades sitting unused. I knew after the first shave with the Cobra that everything was different. People were singing, work was more enjoyable, there was peace in the world....back to reality, the Cobra gives a very nice shave.
Ken
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Ken, my move down from the mountain has been delayed once again and I'm hesitant in spending the dough right now on anything that's not home/move related -- but if this goes on for much longer I wash my hands of any common sense and will be springing for a new Savile Row and Cobra. Furniture will have to wait.

A man has to have priorities.
Ron
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

rsp1202 wrote: A man has to have priorities.
Well said Ron, buddy! Also a good supply of blades for your favorite razor!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

brothers wrote:It looks like they're unavailable at the present time. My advice is to do what I did when I got mine. Check the website often or call Classic to find out when they'll be back in stock, and then don't hesitate for a moment, buy the razor and don't worry about it.
so they jack up the price and still can't keep them in stock!!! this is all your fault gary!! :lol:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

desertbadger wrote:. . . Also a good supply of blades for your favorite razor!
David, if only.
Ron
oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

The Cobra provides me with the closest irritation free shaves with the fewest passes. It is the most efficient razor in my den.

If the Cobra was made from higher quality material and the fit and finish better (like the ATT and Tradere brands for instance), it would be the finest (for me) razor made today.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

oldtrout wrote:The Cobra provides me with the closest irritation free shaves with the fewest passes. It is the most efficient razor in my den.

If the Cobra was made from higher quality material and the fit and finish better (like the ATT and Tradere brands for instance), it would be the finest (for me) razor made today.
That's odd. I got one of the early, more or less, prototypes (didn't pay near what their selling for now) and the fit and finish is excellent. That was a while back though, as I bought the second one ever sold and before anyone on the forum discovered them. (See some of my old posts regarding the Cobra.)

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
brothers

Post by brothers »

I got mine new last May, and as far as I know, the fit and finish are perfect. I have no idea what materials it's made of. I couldn't imagine any improvements it should have.
Gary