OK cooks, I think I'm looking at a new Stand Mixer need inpu

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
ShadowsDad

Re: OK cooks, I think I'm looking at a new Stand Mixer need

Post by ShadowsDad »

Thanks Gary, I'm of the opinion that if someone buys something to do a certain job, well then, it had better be up to that job. I find it amazing that KA can sell attachments for their mixers that destroy the mixers. I see that they now have a meat grinder with a metal housing (or at least it was in the Chefs catalog I received the other day- it might not be KA brand), and there's a grain mill of a different design available for it as well in the same catalog. Again, it might not be KA brand. The Family Grain Mill will also adapt to the KA mixer.

I've bought more junk than I care to divulge and that simply rubs me the wrong way. That's a waste of hard earned $, and who can afford that? So I make sure that what I buy from now on is up to the job at hand. Or at least I try to make sure of that. I love google, it divulges everything, and websites such as this have huge numbers of folks with diverse interests. Just hang up a shingle and folks come forward to help. We all shave, but we all eat food too, so asking an international audience about the Ankarsrum turned up folks who knew.

----------------

I'm incredibly glad I bought my Ankarsrum when I did! They retail for $150 more than I bought mine for! OUCH! I haven't had mine for more than a few months. I wonder if that's a result of a falling dollar or a real price increase by the Swedish factory? I do know that the importer/wholesaler has changed, and they also retail them. The importer has them for the same price (pennies different).

"Old" models in stock can still be had for less money than the latest and greatest though (Google works here). What's the difference? The name emblazoned on the bowl - that's it. The innards, and that's what counts, are precisely the same. The color choices might be fewer; big deal unless it's a truly ugly color. One might also need to pay shipping. Where I got mine shipping was free, but they no longer have any old models.

My brother needs a house warming gift for his son and new wife, so he's getting them an old model Ankarsrum before they're sold out.

I have no idea if the attachments have increased in price. Some haven't; others I simply don't remember, others I got as a package deal and I definitely don't remember that price. I'm still happy that my friend in Nova Scotia turned me on to Ankarsrum when she did. I give her a virtual huge kiss of thanks. Her husband would disapprove of anything more as would my wife and myself.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square