[Poll] What brought you here originally?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.

What brought you here in the first plance: pain or pleasure?

I always hated shaving and wanted to find a better way.
53%
I always enjoyed shaving and wanted to up my game.
30%
Stumbled upon SMF while bored
16%

Total votes: 105

GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

In March the Raleigh News & Observer posted a lengthy article on men's shaving. It mentioned a half-dozen websites including this one.

I have always been interested in shaving, but never used a DE until now.

I started in the mid-60s. I started with the Gillette Techmatic with the band razor. Boy, was that bad! But I didn't know any better. For some unknown reason, my parents bought me a Remington electric shaver for Christmas my junior year of high school, and insisted that I use it. Never happy with it.

In 1974 I found a nice badger brush in Washington, DC, I think at Woodward & Lothrop's department store, and for many years used hard soap - usually Surrey, but sometimes something special was given to me as a gift like (I think) C&E sandlewood.

I think that I used a Trac II for the next four years.

In 1978 I was given a boatload of Bic single blade disposables in a business deal, and used them until I moved to North Carolina six years ago.

The water here is very hard. North and South Carolina lead the nation in kidney stones. I couldn't get the soap to lather. I bought a Norelco which I was never really happy with. A year ago I bought a large pack of disposable Schick Xtreme 3's and a can of Barbasol. Again, never happy.

So now I find shaving a pleasure, not a chore. Thanks guys!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Like a few others, I started with a visit to enchanteonline and found the early forum. I was looking for an online source for shaving products and enchante was one of the first I found. I liked the forum, and the subsequent forums, because there are not that many people in my immediate vicinity who still wetshave, and it was fun to actually discuss shaving matters with people who were knowledgeable and interested in the process. Participating in the forum has turned shaving into as much a hobby as a daily necessity, and made the ritual enjoyable.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

I always hated shaving but wanted to find something better. It was Shaveblog that introduced me to SMF. Actually I didn't shave more then once a month until I found Shaveblog.
Regards,
Jani
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yep, there's Bob checking in....another of the remaining Ents ( chuckle ). He memory also stretches back to when John V. was 'Duffy'.
Gordon
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

I made the transition from B&B. Otherwise I wanted to be posh.
Chuckster

Post by Chuckster »

I hated shaving, & hated the results. I thought to myself, I was never told how to shave correctly. So I thought I would google shaving properly. I expected to pick up a few tips on how to shave using my gel and mach 3 the proper way.

Well once I read posts here, I ordered a Merkur DE, a badger brush, and a mug with soap. My gel and Mach 3 now reside in the landfill. Now I enjoy something that I used to dread. As previously mentioned by someone, I enjoy slowing down in a world that is too rushed these days.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I see your post #1, Chuck(ster?). Welcome to the board! Swing by often!
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Chuck, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Chuck

ditto on what steve and squire said :D

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

I hated shaving. I used Sensors, Mock 3's and canned gel. I learned a few tricks to improve things, but only incrementally. My face hurt most of the day every day and I avoided shaving any time I could. Since I have to be clean for work, than meant that weekends, holidays, vacations, I went without shaving for as many days as possible.

I had pretty much resigned myself to that but then I happened across Corey's article on MSNBC. That led me to ClassicShaving, which led me here. Suddenly a mundane, despicable and more-or-less necessary daily chore turned into an interesting hobby.

Now I can't get away. And it's unusual for me not to shave every day.

Mike.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yeah, it makes a world of difference to be able to shave comfortably every day.
Regards,
Squire
Panhandle88

Post by Panhandle88 »

This article is what led me to here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/
Russell
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

GA Russell wrote:In March the Raleigh News & Observer posted a lengthy article on men's shaving. It mentioned a half-dozen websites including this one.

I have always been interested in shaving, but never used a DE until now.

I started in the mid-60s. I started with the Gillette Techmatic with the band razor. Boy, was that bad! But I didn't know any better. For some unknown reason, my parents bought me a Remington electric shaver for Christmas my junior year of high school, and insisted that I use it. Never happy with it.

In 1974 I found a nice badger brush in Washington, DC, I think at Woodward & Lothrop's department store, and for many years used hard soap - usually Surrey, but sometimes something special was given to me as a gift like (I think) C&E sandlewood.

I think that I used a Trac II for the next four years.

In 1978 I was given a boatload of Bic single blade disposables in a business deal, and used them until I moved to North Carolina six years ago.
The water here is very hard. North and South Carolina lead the nation in kidney stones. I couldn't get the soap to lather. I bought a Norelco which I was never really happy with. A year ago I bought a large pack of disposable Schick Xtreme 3's and a can of Barbasol. Again, never happy.

So now I find shaving a pleasure, not a chore. Thanks guys!
Enough to last 24 years? That's a big boat.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
iron maiden

Post by iron maiden »

I came to SMF in an attempt to find Wars shaving cream...and I did find it, so hopefully I can visit here more often.
-David, but everybody calls me Dave.
Jukkie

Post by Jukkie »

I used to shave with disposables. I liked shaving itself, but I hated the fact that there were parts of my face which the disposable simply wouldn't touch and these would get red and cut up as I'd end up going over them 10-15 times. Decided a straight edge would be a good solution for following the contours of my face better, and came here to learn about them.

I primarily shave DE now, but still use the straight, and no longer have beard after a pass.
JimR

Post by JimR »

I got here because of a strange alignment of events. I read a comment on a post on John Scalzi's blog "Whatever" about Liesureguy's guide to gourmet shaving, and that same day my Braun electric started giving me fits. I had a beard for more than ten years just because I hated shaving so much; then, I shaved it off for some unknown reason and now I have to deal with the daily slice.
I like the idea of developing a routine I hated into something actually pleasurable. I hope I can develop the skills to do so--I'm still "in training" with my fixed head disposables.
Today was not the best face day. . .
Torch

Post by Torch »

My venture into this wet shaving universe (that I didn’t even know existed until recently) began about six weeks ago when my girlfriend bought some skin care products for herself and in the process also bought some for me. I began doing some research on the internet about the stuff she gave me because I had never used anything but soap and water before. One website led to another and I somehow ended up here. Been addicted to it ever since (now I even know about OCM and stuff, hehe… who knew).
dannymac

Post by dannymac »

I remember very clearly what it was for me.

One day maybe in May or so I was just on youtube watching something and I saw a little clip on the side which was one of Mantic59's videos and watched one. Prior to that I didn't even know how old fashioned wet shaving worked. I remember seeing the DE blades at the drug store and wondering what they were for or how you would use them.

So anyways, I just watched a video thought it look fairly interesting then watched a few more and in one of them he put up a link to this forum for people with questions or who were looking for more information on wet shaving.

Eventually I found a really good retailer and bought a starter set and now four or so months later I've enjoyed the experience greatly and am glad I found a forum in which anything you ever wanted to know about wet shaving is readily available.
jr60

Post by jr60 »

About six months ago I purchased a Wilkinson Sword classic from Boots, and was pleased with the results.The cartridge systems from Gillette I used previously didn't seem great to me unless the blade was used for only a few shaves. I am improving my gear now and am using a superspeed(1957)....I love this razor! I got to this site via Mantic's videos on Youtube..
John