What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Scrapyard Ape

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Kyle76 wrote:No spoilers, but I'm nearly up to the climactic scene of the third season .
Stop there. Wait for season 4 and watch that first. HEAPS of stuff happens after the wedding in book 3 that will be in season 4.
~Greg
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:
Kyle76 wrote:No spoilers, but I'm nearly up to the climactic scene of the third season .
Stop there. Wait for season 4 and watch that first. HEAPS of stuff happens after the wedding in book 3 that will be in season 4.
Yeah, I can't decide how to play this, but after nearly 3,000 pages, I might take a break and work on the final installment of William Manchester's Churchill trilogy that I got last Christmas.
Jim
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Kyle76 wrote:
Scrapyard Ape wrote:
Yeah, I can't decide how to play this, but after nearly 3,000 pages, I might take a break and work on the final installment of William Manchester's Churchill trilogy that I got last Christmas.
That's a good move. Season 4 of GoT is going to be a bit frustrating for people who have already read the books. It is going to include parts of books 3, 4, AND 5... and the timeline of events is going to be altered a bit to fit in with the show's format. I think "viewers only" are going to have an easier time of it than book readers.
~Greg
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

As an FYI, there's a site called Bookseer that offers reading suggestions - you put in a book you enjoyed, it spits out a few similar titles that might be of interest. Googling 'what should I read next' should yield other, similar tools that do the same thing.
Regards,
Mike
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I have to confess that I am rotting my mind with one of the post-apocalyptic zombie war novels by Jonathan Maberry. Brains!
_______
John
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

churchilllafemme wrote:I have to confess that I am rotting my mind with one of the post-apocalyptic zombie war novels by Jonathan Maberry. Brains!
As soon as I get a chance, I'd love to read _Canticle for Leibowitz_. Not zombies, but post-apocalyptic all the same.
Regards,
Mike
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

maskaggs wrote:
churchilllafemme wrote:I have to confess that I am rotting my mind with one of the post-apocalyptic zombie war novels by Jonathan Maberry. Brains!
As soon as I get a chance, I'd love to read _Canticle for Leibowitz_. Not zombies, but post-apocalyptic all the same.
I haven't read that book in over 40 years, but I remember it as being quite good. One summer I taught a college summer school course in science fiction, and Walt Miller was one of the guest authors who came to speak to the students. Nice guy, and very knowledgeable about the science behind the story.
_______
John
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

churchilllafemme wrote:
maskaggs wrote:
I haven't read that book in over 40 years, but I remember it as being quite good. One summer I taught a college summer school course in science fiction, and Walt Miller was one of the guest authors who came to speak to the students. Nice guy, and very knowledgeable about the science behind the story.
Where's the emoticon for green-eyed envy?!?!
Regards,
Mike
Barry

Post by Barry »

The Sake Handbook by John Gauntner

And

Good Without God by Greg Epstein
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Annual read of Rosamunde Pilcher's Winter Solstice is done --- or rather in the books, one might say. I know I go on and on about how good this story is - but this is one book that I never cease to enjoy each and every time I read it. The more I read it, the more I enjoy it. Don't be fooled by her moniker as being a women's novelist or this book being romantic fiction. If it's romantic fiction it's about a love affair with Sutherland in northern Scotland .... tough not to fall in love with the place as she describes it -- you feel like you are right there walking the streets and experiencing the story and surroundings right alongside the characters.

Not sure of my next read --- waiting to see whether I get a Kobo gift card in my stocking in the morning.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

"Doctor Who, The Vault, Treasurers from the First 50 Years". My homage to my one of my favourite TV series. My daughter gave it to me for my birthday, 22 Nov., just the day before the first airing of Dr Who, 23 Nov. 1963. Unfortunately, I couldn't start watching Dr Who until late 1966, when I moved to a country that had television.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote:a fort of nine towers.....q a omar

btw and as an aside. our very own bargepole's book; Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is on sale at amzn today :D
This confuses me. I read where Michael B. collaborated with his close friend Doug Adams, the author, in the writing of a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I believe it was said that Adams used Michael as his inspiration for the character Dirk Gently. I also read where Mr. Adams passed away in 2001. Regardless, Michael B. is the reason I bought the book for my Kindle, and I look forward to reading it, and being entertained.
Last edited by brothers on Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

it was said that Adams used Michael as his inspiration for the character Dirk Gently
sorry gary.......you are correct and that is what i was meaning when i said bargepoles book. inspiration, author, publisher, etc etc; all the same to me for whenever i see that book on my shelf i think of bargepole :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

"No Logo" by Naomi Klein. Just finished "Life in a Railway Factory" by Alfred Williams - a wonderful description of unpleasant work, and not exciting if you love GWR locos, nor even if you were born in his locale. Rather, it was like the raw material for "The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists".

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Started 1913 by Charles Emmerson today. I can tell it's going to be a page-turner.
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Started it today, it'll be my inaugural Kindle read.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm reading an account of the bombardment of Ft. St. Phillip during the attack on New Orleans in January, 1814.
Regards,
Squire
Dexterous

Post by Dexterous »

Foundation by Peter Akroyd. The history of England from the beginning to the Tudors.
Detroit - You wouldn't last a week here.
My Blog - shaving product reviews and more
brothers

Post by brothers »

Flood Tide by Cussler.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Nothing at the moment. Just can't get my head around anything since I finished Winter Solstice a few days before Christmas.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?