I need coffee

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
95%

Post by 95% »

Some new commercial on-demand coffee machines now exist which actually do a good job. My Toyota dealer has one provided by Starbucks. At the press of two buttons, it grinds enough beans for one cup, brews the coffee for about two minutes, and dispenses it into a paper cup. The coffee is fresh, hot, and tasty.
Porter
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Porter

Now you know where you can grab a free cup!!! .....sort of equivelent to george from Seinfeld knowing where all the good public bathrooms are :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Yikes! Cannot believe the bodum grinder arrived already. I paid $16 including shipping via amazon.

Also, anyone here from NYC interested in the coffee and tea festival feb 20-21 at madison square gardens. Included with my order was free entry ($40, value) and a bunch of other free stuff. I'll mail the coupon to anyone that wants it

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

wrong price....$14.75 total. Thanks again to all

clive
95%

Post by 95% »

That's quite a deal, Clive. Here are a couple of tips for using a blade grinder. Grind in short bursts, not one continuous action. This prevents you from "burning" the beans. Shake the grinder once or twice between bursts to help even out the grind.
Porter
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks Porter. It will have to wait until next week as I still have a bag of ground to get through. I never thought it would get here so fast :lol:

clive
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Squire wrote:Field rations, Vietnam, 1970.
I always mixed the C-Rat Coffee, Cocoa Mix, Creamer, and Sugar together. Talk about a buzz in the morning. Oh yeah, remember the Kool Aide (sp ?). Always liked the John Wayne Cookie and the Fruit Cocktail. And if you could tolerate how hard and dry it was, the cracker and cheese (in the tube) was mighty filling....

Ah the memories...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I hope your Toyota dealer's coffee maker doesn't get stuck.
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

95% wrote:Here's a question for you, gents. What's the worst coffee in the world? ...Next would be coffee at a McDonald's at 10 in the evening. Chances are it has been sitting there, cooking, for several hours. But in the morning, McDonald's coffee is fine.
I can't believe I'm defending McDonalds, but in New England they serve Newman's Own organic, provided by Green Mountain Roasters of VT. It is their only coffee. And it is excellent.

Regarding grinders, I have been very happy with my Capresso Infinity for several years now. I can grind for moka stovetop near-espresso or for coarse French press. I found blade grinders to be such a mess to clean.

I order my coffee beans from a local roaster (he's in RI, I'm in MA) recommended by a fellow SMFer. A Peets staffer once told me that all their coffee is roasted in California. My guy is here
Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

fallingwickets wrote:I forgot about vending machine coffee too.....now that stuff is b-a-d bad with a capital b and d!
That little light that goes on next to the word "Brewing" -- one of the Great American Lies.

I'm to the point I'd rather go without coffee than drink the bad stuff.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

After a few tries with the bodum I'm going back to having starbucks chop up the beans for me. One, I make way to much mess doing it myself and secondly/most importantly the coffee tastes worse then vending machine fare.

clive
95%

Post by 95% »

Clive, suit yourself, but if you were a true coffee snob you'd never make more than you can drink within 30 minutes or so. Brewed coffee, like the ground roasted seeds from which it is made, gives its flavor up to the air as it sits.
Porter
Needashave

Post by Needashave »

Good coffee = 1) Grind whole beans yourself. 2) Roast green beans yourself. :D
Hodari D.

Post by Hodari D. »

i always use my french press for the ultimate texture and taste. i picked up another pound of casi cielo from starbucks this morning. i was going to get the verona, just to try something different but they told me that there will be no more casi cielo until next February (the horror!), so i went with the casi cielo instead and will try the verona next time.

something in me hates buying coffee from starbucks but it's just really really good and readily accessable. if i had a roaster near by, i'd go there, but starbucks is right around the corner and has great coffee beans.

next time (assuming the cielo is really gone) i'll try the verona, which they said is very similar to the casi cielo.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Hodari D. wrote:next time (assuming the cielo is really gone) i'll try the verona, which they said is very similar to the casi cielo.
I think Verona is what I buy from time to time at the grocery store. Whole bean, and grind it there for my french press. I'll have to verify that, but I really enjoy it.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Hodari D.

Post by Hodari D. »

fallingwickets wrote:After a few tries with the bodum I'm going back to having starbucks chop up the beans for me. One, I make way to much mess doing it myself and secondly/most importantly the coffee tastes worse then vending machine fare.

clive
clive,

don't give up yet! one day, you will brew the best tasting coffee that you've ever had and then you will never want to go back. like wetshaving, there is a bit of a learning curve involved with getting the right grind for your taste, right water temperature for brewing and the correct steeping time. keep it up and, like wetshaving, you will be rewarded!

Scott
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Home roasting is only worth it if it's worth it to you. I am as much a wannabe snob as anyone here. I brew my own beer, make spaghetti sauce from home-grown tomatoes, etc. I've considered taking up home-roasting, and may at some point. But I'm satisfied with what I buy from our local roaster. I do insist on grinding my own beans. And of course the truly fanatical perpetually find ways to up the ante for street cred. I was growing my own hops a couple of years back and talking to a homebrewing friend about the prospect of malting my own barley, and he reminded me of something Carl Sagan once said:

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

I decided against malting my own barley, and at some point, even those who do malt their own have decided not to plant a crop in their yards. Everybody draws the line somewhere. If you're happy with your coffee, then it's good enough.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

TBoner wrote:..... I was growing my own hops a couple of years back and talking to a homebrewing friend about the prospect of malting my own barley, and he reminded me of something Carl Sagan once said:

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Have you seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc
John
95%

Post by 95% »

TBoner wrote:...I've considered taking up home-roasting, and may at some point. But I'm satisfied with what I buy from our local roaster. I do insist on grinding my own beans. And of course the truly fanatical perpetually find ways to up the ante for street cred. I was growing my own hops a couple of years back and talking to a homebrewing friend about the prospect of malting my own barley, and he reminded me of something Carl Sagan once said:

...Everybody draws the line somewhere. If you're happy with your coffee, then it's good enough.

Regards,
Exactly. Indeed, why start in the middle of the process by roasting the beans at home? To be truly authentic, one would need to obtain the very highest quality seeds, plant an orchard in a greenhouse with precisely the right soil, temperature, and humidity, pick the fruit at the point of perfect ripeness, remove the pulp, dry the seeds - and only then consider roasting them.
Porter
DEF

Post by DEF »

The direction of this thread dovetails with my coffee activities of the past 24 hours. There's a Tulsa retailer called Topeca Coffee, and they follow a "seed to cup" philosophy. The family owns coffee farms in El Salvador, but about 10 years ago, collapsing margins led them to bypass the commercial distribution system and market their brew directly through their coffee shop here in Tulsa. They grow in El Salvador, and roast both in El Salvador and here in Tulsa. Their "single source" model is to coffee what single-malt is to scotch (I guess).

I got a bag of their Ayutepeque variety last night, and it's good -- though different. It's relatively bright, smooth, and fairly nutty. To my novice palate, there's even some slight buttery cereal quality to it that contributes to the flavor. It's not a heavy roast, but a more gentle take on upscale coffee. http://www.topecacoffee.com/

Also, for no-nonsense grocery store coffee, I like some of the Folgers blends, especially the "Black Silk."
Doug