Best Schick injector?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Kalypso
Poster of Easy Virtue

Best Schick injector?

Post by Kalypso »

Tried to do a search, but........1200 threads is a lot of reading! Anyway, if you use a non-adjustable Schick Injector, what's your favorite model & why?
"I want my money back for this suit. You're nancy-boy cream leaked all over the pockets -- Suits ruined.".....Kenny Banya

Some call me Doug.....

http://www.modelplace.com/?op=member&id=3448
Ben

Post by Ben »

Type F, because it's all metal and a rare model as well.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

I like the E3 razor with the butterscotch bakelite handles.
Kalypso
Poster of Easy Virtue

I have one.....

Post by Kalypso »

I have an E2 with the butterscotch handle (shaves fairly harshly to me). I just picked up a J1 & it appears to have less blade exposure...hopefully I have found my perfect buffing razor (I'll test drive it in the morning).
"I want my money back for this suit. You're nancy-boy cream leaked all over the pockets -- Suits ruined.".....Kenny Banya

Some call me Doug.....

http://www.modelplace.com/?op=member&id=3448
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

For me it's my Type 'M' Adjustable.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
c white

Post by c white »

lol, as you can see with Schicks there is no consensus

I like the "cracked ice" 66, bonus that the nickel doesn't corrode like the gold ones
-Chris
TakeTheCann0lis

Post by TakeTheCann0lis »

I like my 66 & my type J

I just got in the mail today a type C travel. I really dig the built in injector feature!
c white

Post by c white »

TakeTheCann0lis wrote:I like my 66 & my type J

I just got in the mail today a type C travel. I really dig the built in injector feature!
Can you use the type C? I thought the modern blades wouldn't fit in it.
-Chris
TakeTheCann0lis

Post by TakeTheCann0lis »

Doesn't seem to be a problem. I haven't used it, however the blade looks like it's aligned properly.
phin

J3 Golden 500

Post by phin »

Golden 500- it has the widest opening between the bar and blade. Almost as wide as the adjustable at full throttle. If you compare side by side with the other Schick's you can easily see the difference. All of the other models are too safe and clog too quickly.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Have you tried the Golden 500 with a Feather blade?
phin

not yet

Post by phin »

as I have a load of the Plus Platinum blades in storage I have not.
Do those blades last long or burn out quickly?
Regards,
phin
Mike_gman

Re: Best Schick injector?

Post by Mike_gman »

Kalypso wrote:Tried to do a search, but........1200 threads is a lot of reading! Anyway, if you use a non-adjustable Schick Injector, what's your favorite model & why?
Gentlemen:
It has been a very long time since I shaved with an old Shick injector style razor.
For those out there that regularly shave with them, can you tell me if the blades are easy to buy?
Also... how long do they last compared to DE?
I have seen quite a few Schicks on Ebay... and looking to purchase one.
Sounds like there is plenty of models to choose.

Thanks
Mikey
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I'll throw my vote in for the Golden 500. Nice blade exposure, long handle, and hydromagic cleaning lever.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Mike_gman wrote:For those out there that regularly shave with them, can you tell me if the blades are easy to buy?
Yes, you can buy them on Amazon and several other reputable online stores. The Walgreens in my neck of the woods also carry the Schick blades. But, whatever you do, stay away from the ones which come in a plastic injector, they can be a pain to use and yield imperfect alignment. I recommend the original Schick blades that come in the metallic injector.

I just started shaving with one, but was told (http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14136) they should last about a week or so.

John
Mike_gman

Post by Mike_gman »

John 5 wrote:
Mike_gman wrote:For those out there that regularly shave with them, can you tell me if the blades are easy to buy?
Yes, you can buy them on Amazon and several other reputable online stores. The Walgreens in my neck of the woods also carry the Schick blades. But, whatever you do, stay away from the ones which come in a plastic injector, they can be a pain to use and yield imperfect alignment. I recommend the original Schick blades that come in the metallic injector.

I just started shaving with one, but was told (http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14136) they should last about a week or so.

John
Thanks John!
I saw a razor like yours today on ebay. Looks like a very nice razor.
I am so used to the DE's, I am not sure I can go back to injector??
Mikey
collinarose

Post by collinarose »

Another vote for the adjustable. Although I didn't like it as much as I do until I put in the Ted Pella blade and dialed down the exposure a bit. For me, the Ted Pella blade cuts a lot better than the Schick blade.
-Collin
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I think the Pella blade is made by American Safety Razor (Personna). The blade holder is part plastic, isn't it?
LostInCincy

Post by LostInCincy »

For almost the entire year that I've been doing this wetshaving thing, I've had some DEs and a couple bakelite injectors. It wasn't until yesterday that I tried any of thr later injectors and I was really taken aback at how different it was this morning. I've gotten some really close shaves with the old bakelites, but it was often hit or miss on whether I'd get some irritation and/or cuts. On the first pass with this Type L1 injector, long, plastic handle with metal head, I could tell it was more forgiving and I got a quick, incredible shave this morning.

Without a doubt, this is my new quickie shave razor. I can fling it around almost as easily as a cartridge now. And in truth, the shave itself is just about as good as it gets for me and a DE.

I wonder if the Type N from the 1980s is even milder and/or more effective.

Dan
collinarose

Post by collinarose »

Pauldog wrote:I think the Pella blade is made by American Safety Razor (Personna). The blade holder is part plastic, isn't it?
From a little reading and some of my own searching, I'm pretty sure the blade is made by the American Safety Razor folks. Whether it's the same as the Personna blade I'm not sure but they do come in a very similar white plastic holder. ASR does some custom work though so even though it's in the same/similar holder, it might be a different blade.
-Collin