New razor for Newbie to safety razors?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
gottsbett

New razor for Newbie to safety razors?

Post by gottsbett »

I have been wanting a safety razor for a long time. The reason is because I hate shaving! I have yet to find a razor that I like that constantly gives me a good shave. My face seams to get use to a razor then It no longer wants to get close, yes I am changing the blade! When this happens I change razors. I am getting tired of buying expensive blades when they do not work any better then a cheap plastic disposable you can buy by the dozens for a dollar at a "Dollar Store".

I also have a thick beard, that according to my girlfriend feels like a Brillo pad even at long lengths. I believe her due to the amount of razors I can go through.

I decided that I will just be stubbly and bring back the Miami Vice look until I can find info on a good razor.

At first I wanted the Merkur Vision, thinking it was the best, but now that I am ready to hit the buy button I decided to read reviews and found myself here.

I no longer feel the Vision should be my first razor after reading some posts. I am thinking about buying the Merkur "Hefty Classic" Open-Comb
due to that fact at http://www.classicshaving.com in the description it states "An especially good choice for tough, heavy beards." and most think the Mekur HD it a good choice for beginners.

So what do you think? I will be buying today or tomorrow.

Just as a note, I do not want an eBay used razor. I want new and i intend on getting some good shaving cream.
Where is the band-aids?
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

First off, Welcome!

The HD is a good choice. The Vision is a very big razor and is hit or miss in terms of quality. The nice thing about DE razors is you can try many different blades that will suit your beard. I recommend trying one of letterk's blade kits that have different types of blades.
Richard
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Welcome to the Club. We are glad you joined. I know you said that you did not want a used eBay razor, well, you don't have get a used razor from eBay. Post a WTB on our (now yours :D ) Selling/Trading Forum. There is a lot to be said for new Merkur razors and a lot of the gentlemen on this board use them and love 'em. However, I would also recommend you checking out a vintage 50's Gillette SuperSpeed or Gillette Adjustable. You can probably get a swell deal from one of our members. Don't let the "used" aspect sway you. But, then again, you need to get what you are comfortable with also. Again, welcome. We look forward to hearing about your wetshaving adventure :D

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
TakeTheCann0lis

Post by TakeTheCann0lis »

IMHO....

The HD is a a great razor to get started with. I feel it's best to start with a fixed head razor, meaning no adjustments. This way you get a sense of baseline. After a few weeks you may consider an adjustable, but I think the HD is the way to go.

I have never used an open comb razor, so I can't comment on that. I do have a thick wirey beard, however I'm under the assumption that the comb was meant for reducing heavy growth, and not necessarily thick heavy stubble (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

What are you considering for a brush. My vote for the under $35 range is the tweezerman. It's a great "I'm not sure how much I want to spend yet" razor. I feel it has the best quality for value, and the $20 more that you'll spend on anything else only buys you a label.

Good luck, and welcome to the club!
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Welcome aboard. Let me offer a different suggestion.. Why don't you go straight? A nice heavy grind will just wipe those tire-spikes off your face without a second thought. The initial investment is a bit more than a DE but you'll never need to buy blades so you'll save money in the long run (*)

(*) Unless you develop various acquisition disorders, but in that case both a DE user and a straight user will spend a fortune of the same magnitude on their toys :twisted:
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
gottsbett

Post by gottsbett »

Thanks for the welcomes and the advise. I think I'll go with the Normal HD, A couple reads about open-comb has me thinking it isn't what I would want.

On of these days I want to try straight myself, but for now I'll leave that shave to barber.

I'll take a look at the suggested brush.

I also went looking for a Gillette SuperSpeed. I might just get one to see the mechanics of it.

Thanks again
Where is the band-aids?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I also went looking for a Gillette SuperSpeed.
That is a great razor to start with. You should post a wanted ad on the trading forum. All the gents here get the ten thumbs up.

Clive
rucker3

Post by rucker3 »

I would point you to this one at cotton blossom crafts.
http://www.cottonblossomcrafts.com/shave_page_9.htm The two I received had excellent fit and finish and the head design holds the entire blade tightly, this reduces the vibration in the blade and makes it a very gentle razor despite the slightly larger exosphere of the blade. This thing shaves me as close as my slant. At $12 it is a new stainless steal razor for less than the price you will pay for a used one on E-Bay. The perfect cheap and good beginners razor!

Mason
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

It looks better than their new monstrosities. I'm almost inspired to get one but I've got too many straights coming in soon and very little time to play with the on DE that I do own.
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

rucker3 wrote:[ . . . ]t a very gentle razor despite the slightly larger exosphere of the blade.
Mason
Exosphere? Wow. Do all razors have an exosphere? What is an exosphere? Do MY razors have one? Is this something new to get obsessed with? I HAVE TO KNOW.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

It will be important for you to find the right blade for your beard. By all means order LetterK's sampler packet of blades. And after your technique is solid, check out the Slant Bar. It sounds ideal for your beard.

More at the link below my signature, and also see Mantic's video series.
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Leisureguy wrote:It will be important for you to find the right blade for your beard. By all means order LetterK's sampler packet of blades. And after your technique is solid, check out the Slant Bar. It sounds ideal for your beard.

More at the link below my signature, and also see Mantic's video series.
Welcome to SMF. I agree with Michael 100%. You NEED to checkout his blog, Mantic's videos and get LetterK's sampler pack. The blog and video series are great resources for info the sampler pack will help you determine what is the right blade for you. If you are considering the above mentioned Feather portable DE than I would send a PM to PaulDog. He can get you one for $7.50 shipped. Here is the link telling about the Feather portable DE.

Many here on SMF would also recommend the vintage Gilettes such as a Superspeed or Adjustable. The Merkur HD, you are considering, is another one recommended alot on here.

Again welcome to SMF and wet shaving. Be sure to update us on how you are doing.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
gottsbett

Post by gottsbett »

I have a Gillette Super-Speed coming....
I watched the videos very informative, thank you.

I am heading out to town today. There is a Target and a Health and Beauty Shop right near each other. I think I have also seen some The Kiss My Face and other items in the videos at my local Wegmans. I go there often for my son's gluten free food sources.

As for my next razor, well that depends on my first one and if it works or I can get a technique down.
Where is the band-aids?