Razor Cleaning?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
sbacher

Razor Cleaning?

Post by sbacher »

I have been wet shaving for a little more than a month now and my Merkur Futur has quite a bit of soap scum built up on it. Also, I just acquired a very nice 55 Super Speed and would like to keep it looking nice. I have searched the forums for cleaning instructions but have been unable to find anything. Maybe I am using the search feature incorrectly. Can one of you guys point me in the right direction or give me some instruction?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Steve
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

Start here:
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13522

If you have further questions, add them to that thread.
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
ZenBrayn

Post by ZenBrayn »

Hi Steve,

The key for me is to boil my razor every week (not supposed to do this with gold razors) for ~10 minutes. I just use water and a little bit of liquid soap. I've been doing this consistently since I got my razor, and it is squeaky clean after every boil. I also do a little bit of pre-cleaning with a small tooth brush. I think consistent cleaning is the key.

All the best,
Ryan
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

Anybody tried soaking in bicarbonate of soda solution? it tends to clean most things.

Tony
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
sbacher

Post by sbacher »

ZenBrayn wrote:Hi Steve,

The key for me is to boil my razor every week (not supposed to do this with gold razors) for ~10 minutes. I just use water and a little bit of liquid soap. I've been doing this consistently since I got my razor, and it is squeaky clean after every boil. I also do a little bit of pre-cleaning with a small tooth brush. I think consistent cleaning is the key.

All the best,
Ryan
Ryan,

That sounds like a good idea. I used a toothbrush and some paste on it about two weeks ago. It did a fair job but the soap scum was hard to get off. I will try giving it a ten minute boil tonight.

-Steve
Kalypso
Poster of Easy Virtue

I've found........

Post by Kalypso »

Put it into a large cup with a scoop of Oxy-Clean & hot water (boiling it will remove any painted surfaces...like the numbers on an adjustable, or the varnish on a gold razor).
"I want my money back for this suit. You're nancy-boy cream leaked all over the pockets -- Suits ruined.".....Kenny Banya

Some call me Doug.....

http://www.modelplace.com/?op=member&id=3448
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

I like to keep it simple. I clean the razor with baking soda and toothpaste, then a quick dip in the boiling waters of the hot pot. Keeps the razors sparkling and minty fresh!
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

Since I do not normally shave on Saturday, after tossing out my used blade on Friday mornings, I then give it a quick spray of Clean Shower or some such non-caustic shower cleaner. Next day I simply rinse it off and wipe it with a shave towel, and its clean as new.

BTW, one need to take care to clan the razor bar carefully-- residual soap scum that builds up on the bar can cause drag on the face...

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

I use my wife's tub of liquid jewelry cleaner and a toothbrush, shines like a diamond.
Steve/Bronco

Re: I've found........

Post by jrgroucho »

Kalypso wrote:Put it into a large cup with a scoop of Oxy-Clean & hot water (boiling it will remove any painted surfaces...like the numbers on an adjustable, or the varnish on a gold razor).
+1 for the Oxy clean I have used it multiple time on all my razors, including Injectors which can not be boiled. Well, I guess they can, but no one here recommends that :lol: .

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

All I do is boil my razors for 10 minutes or so and then use a toothbrush on them. I do use some silver polish to shine them up a bit.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Just don't boil a gold razor. It take the lacquer off.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

ScottS wrote:Just don't boil a gold razor. It take the lacquer off.
You are correct. I should have stated that also. I only have silver ones.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Str8G8r

Post by Str8G8r »

This comes up from time to time.

Originally Posted by Gatorade wrote: Originally Posted by Gatorade original post on ShaveMyFace.com
OK first if any are gold then don't do these cleaning steps. If any have any plastic or Bakelite then don't use these steps. These steps are for all metal nickel or brass only. Any razors you aren't sure about? Post a pic and ask.

OK for most razors this is what I do.

1. Clean with Scrubbing Bubbles or whatever foamy cleaning soap scum remover you have available. Use a tooth brush. Pay special attention to the joints where the pieces move such as the silo doors and where the stem goes in and out of the handle. If adjustable then make sure to pay special attention to the plate on the underside of the head. Debris can build up under there easily. I use cheap Q-tips to go through the plate from one side to another. I specifically use the cheap ones because the tip is smaller and will go all the way through unlike the real Q-tips which have a larger head. Give it a good scrub but don't obsess about it as you still have other steps to go through.

2. Boil it in water for 10 minutes. You can add a little vinegar to the boiling water and that will help to loosen some of the harder grunge. If you use vinegar then you may notice a brassy tint when you remove it from the water. Don't be alarmed as this will go away when you polish it. It is just a little more work when you polish because you really need to get in the cracks and crevices more. However it may be necessary if the grunge in particularly hard.

3. Remove from boiling water and cool it under cold water. Grab your Scrubbing Bubbles again and scrub again. This time work a little harder on it because you may be able to finish up the cleaning at this step.

4. Dry and polish. Any metal polish will work as long as it says nickel on the label. Many swear by Mass polish but I have never used it. I couldn't find it when I needed it and just got a bottle of regular metal polish at Ace, Novo may be the name of it. I don't have it in front of me right now. I use a clean rag and put the polish on the rag and the razor. Take your time at this step and make sure you have touched every surface on the razor with the polish. For the hard to reach spots once again break out the cheap Q-tips. This step may take the most time and labor but sometimes it is quick if the razor is in good shape.

5. After the polish step I give it another cleaning with the Scrubbing Bubbles. Some polishes are oil based and hard to get off. If you have excess polish on the razor and you shave with it it could cause anywhere from a mild burning to a serious chemical burn on your face. Make sure you get it all off with the Scrubbing Bubbles. Your razor will now be sparkling clean, sanitized and ready to shave. But you are still not done!

6. Lubrication. Sometimes the gunk or polish gets in the stem of the razor or the moving pieces just need a little lube. I take a small bowl. Open the silo doors and pour some mineral oil over the razor work the doors and the knobs and the adjustment knob as well till it feels smooth. Then submerse the razor in the mineral oil completely for a little while to make sure all the insides are lubed. Remove from the oil and wipe clean with a clean rag.

7. After the lube step you can place your piece in a glass showcase with spotlights and gaze at it for hours on end! Of course you could shave with it as well!

8. You knew there would be another step didn't you! After using your razor for a while it will get soap scum on it. Usually when I change the blade I clean the razor with Scrubbing Bubbles and it looks as good as the final polish stage above. You could do it once a month as well and that will keep your razor sparkly clean.

OK that ends my cleaning procedure and maintenance cleaning as well. If you want to post some before and after pics pleas do as this will encourage more people to try ebay and do it themselves.
--Charlie
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Str8G8r wrote:This comes up from time to time.

Originally Posted by Gatorade wrote: Originally Posted by Gatorade original post on ShaveMyFace.com
OK first if any are gold then don't do these cleaning steps. If any have any plastic or Bakelite then don't use these steps. These steps are for all metal nickel or brass only. Any razors you aren't sure about? Post a pic and ask.

OK for most razors this is what I do.

1. Clean with Scrubbing Bubbles or whatever foamy cleaning soap scum remover you have available. Use a tooth brush. Pay special attention to the joints where the pieces move such as the silo doors and where the stem goes in and out of the handle. If adjustable then make sure to pay special attention to the plate on the underside of the head. Debris can build up under there easily. I use cheap Q-tips to go through the plate from one side to another. I specifically use the cheap ones because the tip is smaller and will go all the way through unlike the real Q-tips which have a larger head. Give it a good scrub but don't obsess about it as you still have other steps to go through.

2. Boil it in water for 10 minutes. You can add a little vinegar to the boiling water and that will help to loosen some of the harder grunge. If you use vinegar then you may notice a brassy tint when you remove it from the water. Don't be alarmed as this will go away when you polish it. It is just a little more work when you polish because you really need to get in the cracks and crevices more. However it may be necessary if the grunge in particularly hard.

3. Remove from boiling water and cool it under cold water. Grab your Scrubbing Bubbles again and scrub again. This time work a little harder on it because you may be able to finish up the cleaning at this step.

4. Dry and polish. Any metal polish will work as long as it says nickel on the label. Many swear by Mass polish but I have never used it. I couldn't find it when I needed it and just got a bottle of regular metal polish at Ace, Novo may be the name of it. I don't have it in front of me right now. I use a clean rag and put the polish on the rag and the razor. Take your time at this step and make sure you have touched every surface on the razor with the polish. For the hard to reach spots once again break out the cheap Q-tips. This step may take the most time and labor but sometimes it is quick if the razor is in good shape.

5. After the polish step I give it another cleaning with the Scrubbing Bubbles. Some polishes are oil based and hard to get off. If you have excess polish on the razor and you shave with it it could cause anywhere from a mild burning to a serious chemical burn on your face. Make sure you get it all off with the Scrubbing Bubbles. Your razor will now be sparkling clean, sanitized and ready to shave. But you are still not done!

6. Lubrication. Sometimes the gunk or polish gets in the stem of the razor or the moving pieces just need a little lube. I take a small bowl. Open the silo doors and pour some mineral oil over the razor work the doors and the knobs and the adjustment knob as well till it feels smooth. Then submerse the razor in the mineral oil completely for a little while to make sure all the insides are lubed. Remove from the oil and wipe clean with a clean rag.

7. After the lube step you can place your piece in a glass showcase with spotlights and gaze at it for hours on end! Of course you could shave with it as well!

8. You knew there would be another step didn't you! After using your razor for a while it will get soap scum on it. Usually when I change the blade I clean the razor with Scrubbing Bubbles and it looks as good as the final polish stage above. You could do it once a month as well and that will keep your razor sparkly clean.

OK that ends my cleaning procedure and maintenance cleaning as well. If you want to post some before and after pics pleas do as this will encourage more people to try ebay and do it themselves.
Thanks for sharing this...Gregory :lol:

Danny
Danny

Str8G8r

Post by Str8G8r »

Chaps wrote:
Str8G8r wrote:This comes up from time to time.

Thanks for sharing this...Gregory :lol:

Danny
Correct. 8) Now send me that brush!
--Charlie
TimmyBoston

Post by TimmyBoston »

I clean my razors with every blade change. I use an old toothbrush and bit of toothpaste and give them a scrub.
Tim

Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Champs
I know I'm living in the past, it's all we've got!

Not anymore! Reigning World Champs!
e5f

Post by e5f »

I like to keep it simple. Since I change blades weekly, when the blade needs changing, I use a small amount of liquid soap and a baby toothbrush to clean the inside. Then I rinse it in warm water, and finally spray isoprophyl alcohol on it to keep it fairly sanitary.

Thanks,
Merlyn
Facts Destroy Liberalism