Regarding the Virtues of the Fatboy

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
jww
Woolly Bully

Regarding the Virtues of the Fatboy

Post by jww »

Some may recall that I gave my beloved first Fatboy away to a newbie a couple of months back. You may also recall that my wife replaced it from one made the same year I was born (1959). Well, I have to admit that the replacement Fatboy wasn't near as good a razor as the one I gave away, and I have found myself rather pining for the old friend again. :cry:

Tonight, however, as I sallied up to the sink for my traditional Saturday evening shave, I hauled down my Fatboy and sat it on the counter beside my black-handled slim adjustable. I wanted so dearly to use the Fatboy again, but it had betrayed me so badly the first couple of times I used it by lacerating my neck and chin that I was unwilling to give it another chance at shaving life.

And then it dawned on me as I pondered the unit - there was a considerable gap that was different from the opposite side of the razor. As I looked closer, I realized that the subject safety bar was out of alignment considerably, and that by using my small needle-nosed pliers, I just might be able to restore it back to near perfection. I was humlbed to think that the Fatboy had not betrayed me - rather I had betrayed the Fatboy in not giving it the love and care it deserved when it first entered my shaving cabinet. Yes - I had committed the cardinal shaving sin of not examining it as carefully as I should have upon receipt.

Well - it only took about 3 minutes to work it. Ply away I did - and to a wonderful result. Once I had realigned the safety bar - came the moment of truth - I would once again give this most wondrous shaving implement another chance at doing what it was meant to do - give great shaves to it's owner.

Well - I can now once again sing the praises of the Fatboy. What a wonderfully weighted razor, what craftsmanship, what mechanics. It was a stroke of pure genius! Thank you Mr. Gillette for designing such a wondrouse piece of equipment. And thank you Mr Kayam for not buying the company!

Yes, I now feel shave-fulfilled now that I am once again 'at one' with the Fatboy and am glad to have it back in the lineup after a period of distress and grief!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Yes, the FatBoy is a good boy.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

Chaps wrote:Yes, the FatBoy is a good boy.

Danny
its the BEST :D
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
Stainless_persona

Post by Stainless_persona »

The prices for fatboys on the bay are astonishing really. Is it just shaving forum members driving up the prices I wonder? or is something bigger happening? maybe the world is turning back to quality craftsmanship and one sharp edge.
Chris
redbike

Post by redbike »

Stainless_persona wrote:The prices for fatboys on the bay are astonishing really. Is it just shaving forum members driving up the prices I wonder? or is something bigger happening? maybe the world is turning back to quality craftsmanship and one sharp edge.
It's not only the Fatboys, it almost every Gillette. I saw a BIN price of $45 for a red tip in excellent condition. That would have been unheard of a few months ago. I've been buying Gillettes off eBay for less than six months; the prices now are much higher than last fall.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The most I have paid for a razor, including shipping, was around $25 US. My first buy was a '2-pack' which included my beloved first FatBoy and my trusty Black-handled adjustable. My SS was only $15. I guess I should consider myself lucky never having to spend much on a DE.
Wendell

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Omar Kayam?

Or do you mean Victor Kiam, the guy who bought Remington and started appearing in their commercials?
brothers

Re: Regarding the Virtues of the Fatboy

Post by brothers »

Tonight I shaved with my first Gillette Fatboy, the one I picked up at the flea market 5 years ago when it had just turned 50 years old. I paid either one or two dollars for it. It was laying in a box on the floor along with the original plastic box and some paper debris. It's a D4, 4th quarter of 1958, with more of a matte finish, rather than the shinier finish that came along on the regular production 1959 models. I recall coming home and proudly explaining to my wife what it was called, and how popular it was on the shaving forums. Before today's shave, I hadn't used it in a very long time. Other razors came and went. A lot of other razors. Tonight's blade was a new Personna prep, and the razor adjustment was set on 7. I made sure to focus on the angle and the pressure as much as possible. The result is no surprise to those of us, particularly Wendell, who can understand why he started this SMF thread a few years back. Used correctly, this is one of the finest shaving razors ever made. I think these are stil considered common and not too hard to find. I think because of this, we (I) found it easy to ignore and take it for granted. I won't make that mistake any more.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

A Fatboy, my Simpsons Duke 2 and MWF -- what more could a wet-shaver want?
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Exactly! 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

For me, the Fatboy is the best of the best...a fantastic razor.

By best combo is the Fatboy (setting 3), a Personna Red blade, MWF soap, my Semogue SOC finest brush, and Pinuad Bay Rum. Pure shaving bliss. :mrgreen:

Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

Two days ago it was at a 7. Yesterday an 8, and tonight it was at 9. I'm probably going to get two more shaves at that setting, then I'll use the Barbasol for a few days, so I can compare one to the other.
Gary

KayakDom

Re:

Post by KayakDom »

Stainless_persona wrote:The prices for fatboys on the bay are astonishing really. Is it just shaving forum members driving up the prices I wonder? or is something bigger happening? maybe the world is turning back to quality craftsmanship and one sharp edge.
I dont think we are driving up the prices. I think more people are finding out about the joys of shaving again vice it being a chore.
Or I need to lay off the coors when I post.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I think it's just a model the auction folks can promote even if they don't know much about razors.
Regards,
Squire
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Squire wrote:I think it's just a model the auction folks can promote even if they don't know much about razors.
I agree, Squire. My vintage Super-Speeds do just fine for me. One even has a missing end cap and ir shaves very well. However, I like the Slim better than a Fat Boy for balance. But the prices on eBay are high. Supply, demand, and "command".
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I also prefer the Slim, the fatboy doesn't balance well for me.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I had a long slim adjustable for several years. Unfortunately it was from a year when Gellette was cutting costs by making components out of aluminum or pot metal rather than brass and the gears that opened and closed the butterfly wore out. Wouldn't close tight and gave a super aggressive blade exposure that I couldn't handle. At that time most posts here were touting fatboys so I haunted ebay until one day a lady posted one in great shape for under 30 bucks. I got it and have used it ever since in my rotation. It is obviously plated brass.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Ouchmychin wrote:I had a long slim adjustable for several years. Unfortunately it was from a year when Gellette was cutting costs by making components out of aluminum or pot metal rather than brass and the gears that opened and closed the butterfly wore out. Wouldn't close tight and gave a super aggressive blade exposure that I couldn't handle. At that time most posts here were touting fatboys so I haunted ebay until one day a lady posted one in great shape for under 30 bucks. I got it and have used it ever since in my rotation. It is obviously plated brass.
Right. I have not kept any Gillettes not made of brass. My Slim is brass and quite durable, but I still put some mineral oil in it from time to time.
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
brothers

Post by brothers »

The GFB (Gillette FatBoy) was at a nine this evening, and I'm starting to think I've found the sweet spot with this one. As usual, it's all about the angle and the pressure. Yes, I'm a slow, but accurate, learner.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I used a Slim for quite awhile and liked it. But I'd been reading about the Fatboy for some time (back then) and found one for a decent price. I used it for a bit and it just wasn't for me. The head is thicker somehow. It just didn't feel "right". Now the majority of my DE razors are unused. But the Slim taught me what I needed to know.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square