New ShaveMyFace.com Dopp Bag Project

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Johnnie
Shave This

New ShaveMyFace.com Dopp Bag Project

Post by Johnnie »

Hello Gents-

We're at it again and we need your help. The mods and I have been tossing around ideas in regards to our new project. I'm sure you remember a poll I took a few months ago about travelling. I was looking to see if this project would work for you guys.

Here's the deal: With your help we are going to design a SMF dopp bag for your travels. The mods and I have narrowed it down to a few styles to choose from.

Here they are (the photos are for reference only).

Hanging

Zipper Utilikit

Flat Toiletry Kit

We have full design control of this project. Color, materials, pockets, size, etc..

Please share your ideas and thoughts. We want to make this a team project. After we're done taking ideas the mods and I will put our brains together again, complie all of your information and ideas and go with the majority. No matter what, I'm sure this will turn out great. BTW, it will be embroidered with the SMF logo.

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
verde
Ice Ice Baby

Post by verde »

Oh where to start on this one??

I like the third Flat style the most.

The hanging style would not always be easy to access the contents. The large flap would be cumbersome if you need to reach in and grab something on the run. The zipper style, although very classic looking, is basically a glorified zip-top bag. I don't think that would help organize things much.

I would like to see many different storage compartments of either different or adjustable sizes. The top flap should have elastic type loops for storing razors, toothbrush type items. The outer pockets should have some depth to them. When they are so flat they tend to be very limiting in what will fit in them.

Also a nice touch is to include several empty plastic containers that you can transfer your products into.

There's my 2¢ I'm sure I'll throw more in later.
-Mike

"If you teach a poor young man to shave himself,
and keep his razor in order, you may contribute more
to the happiness of his life than in giving him a thousand guineas."
--Benjamin Franklin
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I like a zippered utility kit with a stay-open type mouth-- like the one in the reference photo.

Paisley please, to match the smoking jacket I hope to find some day :wink:
Rob

Post by Rob »

I really like the hanging version. That would be so useful when I go to Korea where bathroom space is minimal at best.

We need to create an SMF logo!
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Rob_TN wrote:We need to create an SMF logo!
This is it.

Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Rob

Post by Rob »

Oh. How about holding a new logo contest? I'm sure we have many, many talented Photoshoppers and GIMPers around here. I'm not one of them, sadly.
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

Terrific idea! I've been looking for one of these for ages but have found them either a) made of pleather; b) made of leather and over-priced c) sold only in "designer colours" last current in 1984; or d) made by Kenneth Cole. I like option 1 but I'm not fussy. Great news -- and it isn't a brush!

best,

k
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Rob_TN wrote:Oh. How about holding a new logo contest? I'm sure we have many, many talented Photoshoppers and GIMPers around here. I'm not one of them, sadly.
We can figure that out another time. :P
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
AlBaron

Post by AlBaron »

My vote is for the flat toiletry kit. The more compartments the better.
Also, real leather, please.

Alex
Goosemeplease

Post by Goosemeplease »

Number One or three for me if you please!

Great Idea Johnnie!
Jim
Rob

Post by Rob »

Johnnie wrote:
Rob_TN wrote:Oh. How about holding a new logo contest? I'm sure we have many, many talented Photoshoppers and GIMPers around here. I'm not one of them, sadly.
We can figure that out another time. :P
Okidoki. :)
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I like the zipper utilikit. Can't go wrong with a classic design as that.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I can see how this is going to be an easy decision.
Richard
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I saw something similiar to the hanging one, but it had the straps that go all the way around it. Has anyone else seen this and if so, where? Thanks.

~Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Looks like we're all agreed then.
timc

Post by timc »

I like the zipper utilkit. Something I can just toss all my stuff into and go!

Oh, but with a plaid lining, not paisley!
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

McNutt wrote:Looks like we're all agreed then.
Ditto!

Where do I order?
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

rustyblade wrote:I can see how this is going to be an easy decision.
Richard, you getting another one? :wink: :wink: I don't think SWMBO will be too happy if I have more than one travel bag.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

I already have a Kennth Cole hanging bag which I like very much. I'm able to fit everything and it has compartments for my brush, razors and elastic bands for my tubes, zippers for the toothbrush. I like the fact that I can hang it on anything. If I'm unable to hang it I can just place it on the counter. With all that said, I wouldn't mind having have a nice leather one. I also like the idea of a classic bag too. Decisions, decisions.

As you can see it has holders for everything. I put my brush in the side holders (like a cup holder) and my tubes of whatever in the elastic bands. It works great.

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
kirkawall

Post by kirkawall »

Johnnie wrote: I already have a Kennth Cole hanging bag which I like very much
Aaaargh! It's happening again....

Is it possible to build compartments into option 2? The ones I've seen like that are elegant but jumbled. Otherwise I agree with everybody. And the sooner I can order the sooner I'll have the perfect place to put 1/100th of my shaving things.

best,

k