Superior Best or Shavemac Finest?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
a-cut-above

Superior Best or Shavemac Finest?

Post by a-cut-above »

Need advice. I'm looking for a brush in "best"--a little firmer than super. I want a 20-21mm knot. The Superiors are made in the USA and have good reviews for their supers, but I found only one for their best line. The handles are custom. The Shavemac finest (their "best", I think) is well reviewed (more reviews on their silvertips, though). But after 2 weeks I got no response to my emails about getting a different handle than what they show for the smallest 21mm knot. The handle is obviously secondary to the bristle quality, density, how it handles soaps, etc. Advice appreciated before the $ goes out.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Re: Superior Best or Shavemac Finest?

Post by rustyblade »

a-cut-above wrote:Need advice. I'm looking for a brush in "best"--a little firmer than super. I want a 20-21mm knot. The Superiors are made in the USA and have good reviews for their supers, but I found only one for their best line. The handles are custom. The Shavemac finest (their "best", I think) is well reviewed (more reviews on their silvertips, though). But after 2 weeks I got no response to my emails about getting a different handle than what they show for the smallest 21mm knot. The handle is obviously secondary to the bristle quality, density, how it handles soaps, etc. Advice appreciated before the $ goes out.
What is your price range? There are many good brushes in the under $100 department (for example).
Richard
a-cut-above

Superior Best orShavemac Finest

Post by a-cut-above »

Under $100.
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

I have tried the best badger and the super badger from Superior Brushes. First of all, the quality of work is top notch and customer service is "SUPERB". I prefer the best badger brush, the super badger was very, very dense and i guess i like the brush to be a bit floppy, not very floppy but not as dense as their super badger too. Here is the link to my post where i sold my super badger Superior brush, u can see how dense the brush is.

http://tinyurl.com/2tnv9m

Currently i use the Saville Row SR 100 travel brush every day.

hth,

-R.
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

I only have one brush, a Shavemac in finest, so I don't have any real experience to compare it to anything else except a cheap boar brush. I am entirely satisfied with it though, it hasn't lost any hairs and really does a great job getting lather with hard soap and creams. I can't find a thing to complain about. It seems that you have to make a choice between two great brushes. If it was me, I'd pick the one that looked the coolest!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I have brushes from both and prefer my Superiors. I would recommend sending Matt an email (his address should be on their website) and seeing what he can do for you. Tell him what you want and he'll be honest with you about whether or not his brushes will fill your needs. He might be able to insert the brush head a little deeper to increase firmness.

Even though I prefer Superiors, Shavemacs are excellent brushes.
SilverKarn

Post by SilverKarn »

I personally just ordered a Shavemac Finest with Faux tortise handle from vintagebladesllc.com yesterday, apparently its a very good brush
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

For a little brush with a good long handle to really whip the lather, the Shavemac 22368 is hard to beat.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I recently got a Shavemac 177 and it is by far my favorite brush!
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am