Cigar advice

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
drumana

Cigar advice

Post by drumana »

I love cigars, but don't know much about them. Anyone out there have any sage advice for a novice cigar smoker? So far I figured out that I enjoy robusto medium blend cigars. That's about it. 'Preciate any tips....

-Andrew
Banihex

Post by Banihex »

You have similar taste to me.

Some great cigars that won't break your walet:

Cusano 18
Punch, they have a great double maduro rothschild
Padron 2000

www.cigar.com is the best place I have ever ever ever dealt with, nicest cigar people i've talked to. You can just give them a call and they will give you advice, and suggestions that fit your preference/money.

John
MaduroMan_wcp

Post by MaduroMan_wcp »

El Rey del Mundo

Montecristo

Punch

Fuente Chatau

Torano

all in maduro of course....
cigar-&-Shave

Post by cigar-&-Shave »

Best advice: Always smoke cigars inside the house, they smell better when smoked in an enclosed space – and, your wife will love it too!
Ben

Post by Ben »

If you want a nice smoke but don't want to spend a lot (and there's NO REASON you should ever have to spend a lot to get a good smoke), check out F.D. Grave & Son. Here's a link to a cheap source.

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/sear ... inum/10417
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

Andrew:
The best way to try a variety of well kept cigars for the smallest outlay would be to go here and sign up to get a newbie sampler trade with one of the FOGs on the boxpass/trade board. There will be one of the members there that will set you up with a selection tailored to your preferences. I'm shocked that MM didn't mention this. :?

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Andrew... There are some good suggestions but I would keep it even simpler. Everyones tastes are different and there are so many options available to cigar smokers these days that you can end up spending a lot of money on cigars you dont like. My advice to you would be to go a local cigar store and ask the tobacconist there exactly what you asked here. A good tobacconist can make recomendations so you can get single cigars. You will learn what you like and dont like pretty quickly. You may find you only like certain wrappers, or sizes, or manufacturers, etc. Also, expect your taste to evolve as you become more of a cigar smoker. I have been smoking cigars for over 10 years now and my tastes continue to change and I go to the local cigar store all the time for advice, and to sample, the new cigars. One last piece of advice would be to keep some sort of record of what you are smoking. PM me if you would like a copy of a record sheet I still use.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first". - Ronald Reagan
drumana

Post by drumana »

Thank you, fellas!!

That'll keep me busy for a while...

I had a Rocky Patello Vintage 1992 a couple of days ago...I really enjoyed it. I found a smoke shop where the guy was very helpful and knowledgeable and it seems like it will be a great resource from me.

I'll also check out the various websites and recommendations you posted

-Andrew
Ben

Post by Ben »

If you like full, try The Edge by Rocky Patel.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Pete_T

Post by Pete_T »

Did anyone hear about David Lettermans cigar habit? He smoked 20 50 dollar cigars a day. 1000 dollars a day. Hes since quit, but man, I have enough problems trying to quit 30 light cigarettes a day. The guys blood must have been half nicotine.
MaduroMan_wcp

Post by MaduroMan_wcp »

he was probably smoking Glass Top Cohiabas......
Rich

out to master all razors

suport the American Legion and American Legion Riders
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

After you've sampled a bit of everything, go for the good stuff. A few of my personal favs....

Fuente OpusX Perfexion #2
Davidoff Millenium Robusto
Padron Anniversario Exclusivo Maduro
Ashton Virgin Sungrown Sorcerer
Rocky Patel Olde World Reserver Toro Corojo

:twisted:
Mike
drumana

Post by drumana »

[quote="Pete_T"]Did anyone hear about David Lettermans cigar habit? He smoked 20 50 dollar cigars a day. 1000 dollars a day.

I can't imagine chain smoking cigars. That is nasty. javascript:emoticon(':-B')
drumana

Post by drumana »

fellas,

smoked a "G2 (grey cliff)" churchill earier today. Very nice. Started out a little sweet for my taste but developed very nicely and ended up nice and spicey...

also, check out www.cigarbid.com - it's possible to get some great prices on great cigars there....

cheers,
Andrew
DEF

Post by DEF »

For a rich, robust smoke, try La Gloria Cubana Serie R.

Regards,
Doug
Doug
Climb14er

Re: Cigar advice

Post by Climb14er »

drumana wrote:I love cigars, but don't know much about them. Anyone out there have any sage advice for a novice cigar smoker? So far I figured out that I enjoy robusto medium blend cigars. That's about it. 'Preciate any tips....

-Andrew
This is the cigar I normally smoke and two that are the best for the price are the Punch and Hoyo de Monterrey (they share the same factory are are virtually identical) double maduro (oscuro) robustos.

Just picked up a box last month of fifty for $112.00 delivered second day UPS from Famous Cigars, a place that I've been buying from for many years.

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/index.cfm

The longer you put these beautiful, oily cigars down in a humidor, the better they get.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
drumana

Post by drumana »

Got some cigars today:
-Partagas Spanish Rosado San Agustin
-Partagas Black Label Clasico
-Partagas Natuales

all robusto'8)')

I'll let
-Andrew-
MaduroMan_wcp

Post by MaduroMan_wcp »

nice smokes, 'specialy the Black Lables...
Rich

out to master all razors

suport the American Legion and American Legion Riders
designwise1

Post by designwise1 »

DEF wrote:For a rich, robust smoke, try La Gloria Cubana Serie R.

Regards,
Doug
I second that.
Gerald Martin
drumana

Post by drumana »

nice smokes, 'specialy the Black Lables...
I've smoked the other two already and really enjoyed them...I'm saving the best for last as per this recommendation. My next smoke will be the Black Label...

Thanks for all the recommendations...I've got a good list going
-Andrew-