Whats your favorite pre-shave wash?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Cutlass

Whats your favorite pre-shave wash?

Post by Cutlass »

Hey I am using some Neutrogena razor defense pre-shave wash right now I'm not that happy with it, what’s you guys favorite pre-shave wash product? Just wanted to get some suggestions before I waste my money on another bad product.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

These are my top three choices, in order of preference:

1. Plain soap, choose a brand that agrees with your skin, rinse quickly
2. Extra-mild cleaner such as Cetaphil
3. Plain water
Last edited by notthesharpest on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Lots of very warm water.
Regards,
Gordon
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

bernards66 wrote:Lots of very warm water.
Regards,
Gordon
Absolutely!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I used to get hung up on all those special face cleansers to wash my face with. I'm finishing up a bottle of Nancy Boy facial wash, but for the most part I just use a good quality bar soap. I don't notice any difference.
Richard
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

rustyblade wrote:I used to get hung up on all those special face cleansers to wash my face with. I'm finishing up a bottle of Nancy Boy facial wash, but for the most part I just use a good quality bar soap. I don't notice any difference.
What's your skin type?
What soap do you use?
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I've actually had pretty good luck with Razor Defense (*shrug*). I've also tried "Da Cube" and Proraso Pre-shave with good results. But, as Gordo alluded to, they all require lots and lots of warm water to go with it.

--Mark
Cutlass

Post by Cutlass »

My problem might not rest in my pre-shave, so it’s good to hear that someone likes razor defense specially you mantic because I respect your opinion after watching your videos, you clearly have a lot of knowledge about wet shaving
JimT

Post by JimT »

Tom's of Maine Calendula Natural Moisturizing Body Bar in the shower and then shave at the sink.

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

rtaylor61 wrote:
Regards,
Gordon
Absolutely!

Randy
Warm water. also. I've even stopped using my beloved Proraso Pre-Shave cream. Did it make a difference? I dunno. But I am looking for simplicity and warm water is all I need at the moment.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
josh434

Post by josh434 »

savon de marseille. it is very gentle and thorough. i tried dozens to get to this point. i will occasionally use menscience scrub but i don't want to exfoliate too much. if i am looking for a menthol feel i use dr bronners peppermint it makes a great start when coupled with proraso.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Chaps wrote:
rtaylor61 wrote:
Regards,
Gordon
Absolutely!

Randy
Warm water. also. I've even stopped using my beloved Proraso Pre-Shave cream. Did it make a difference? I dunno. But I am looking for simplicity and warm water is all I need at the moment.

Danny
If I have missed a day of shaving (which seldom happens), I still use the Proraso Pre/Post Shave. Maybe it is my imagination, but it seems to make a difference.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I think Proraso pre-shave makes a difference too - but I don't wash any different before it.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

rtaylor61 wrote:
Chaps wrote:
rtaylor61 wrote: Absolutely!

Randy

Danny
If I have missed a day of shaving (which seldom happens), I still use the Proraso Pre/Post Shave. Maybe it is my imagination, but it seems to make a difference.

Randy
I just figured since the Proraso products will no longer be available at
Target, now would be a good time to cease with the pre-shave cream and just go with warm water. I liked it, but I don't want to get so attached to it that when I run out, I will have to "order" it from somewhere. I hate having to order everything.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

rafikz wrote:
rustyblade wrote:I used to get hung up on all those special face cleansers to wash my face with. I'm finishing up a bottle of Nancy Boy facial wash, but for the most part I just use a good quality bar soap. I don't notice any difference.
What's your skin type?
What soap do you use?
Oily T-zone. I've used all types of "good" soaps. Mitchell's, Nancy Boy, DR Harris, Tabac.
Richard
drumana

Post by drumana »

warm water
cetaphil is good
the proraso is good

I also like to massage my face in the preshave shower a bit with my hands. when applying some conditioner to my face I just spend some extra time loosening up the skin and getting the blood flow going, loosening up the beard. I think I'm discovering that the brush is a little too much for my skin if I'm whipping it around like crazy. Yesterday I just sort of painted the lather on, and worked much better for my skin...

...but I digress...

-Andrew
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well I am using a Castle Forbes face soap and Love it. Im just using bar soap, but ones with tallow, such as Floris, and Castle Forbes. And as Duke said, plenty of hot water.
jramire2

Post by jramire2 »

I use one of the following;

Men-U Face Wash
Nancy Boy Face Wash
Dr. Bronners Tea Tree Bar soap

I've found the Men-U & Bronners to really refresh my face. NB's good, but not the same affect.

~Joshua

I'm anxious in trying coalface soap from Lush. Found this article about it, sounds interesting.

http://www.nwsource.com/shopping/col...ff_070105.html
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

jramire2 wrote:I use one of the following;

Men-U Face Wash
Nancy Boy Face Wash
Dr. Bronners Tea Tree Bar soap

I've found the Men-U & Bronners to really refresh my face. NB's good, but not the same affect.

~Joshua

I'm anxious in trying coalface soap from Lush. Found this article about it, sounds interesting.

http://www.nwsource.com/shopping/col...ff_070105.html
It says the link no longer exists when I click on it.

~Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
jramire2

Post by jramire2 »

I couldn't get the original link to work either. The guy reviewing said it worked like no other soap. Said it tightened his face up very nicely and he could practically feel the toxins being drawn from his face.

I googled it and found the following reviews/places where it's sold. It's not cheap at $10.50US for 4 oz. But if it helps my complexion I'd buy it.

Note that in a couple of these reviews, they say your skin gets worse THEN better when they start using it.

Think I'm going to pick up a bar, or maybe a sample sliver if they give them, this weekend.

~Joshua

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Lush_Coalface__Review_5569875

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/skin-care/lush- ... e/1006162/

http://blog.tmcnet.com/B00022603W/Coalf ... y-LUSH.htm