Building a Cologne Collection

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
DEF

Building a Cologne Collection

Post by DEF »

A Niche-Based Approach to Building Your Cologne Collection

Since I’ve been pathologically exhibitionist lately in terms of my kit, I thought I’d go ahead and post this. It is, with the exception of a few barber-shop-type after shaves, my full collection. I thought I’d use this as an opportunity to share some thoughts I’ve formed along the way, not just about individual fragrances, but about developing a collection in a deliberate way.

As do many, I think of my collection in terms of niches, primarily defined by seasonal wearability, situational adaptability, and overall fragrance style. I currently have a fair amount of overlap in my collection, so here I’ve focused on roughly half. The numbers suggest a priority ranking. The items marked with green are what I, with my tastes and preferences, consider quintessential foundational items; one wanting to build a collection would do very well by starting here. The items marked with blue represent a next-level expansion of the set.

Two caveats: First, this posting reflects my personal preferences and opinions and may not predict your own experience of these fragrances. Second, my notes here will be neither comprehensive nor definitive; I hope that if something catches your eye you will use the forum search feature to learn more; these have been well discussed.

With that, let’s take roll.

1) Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood. At $30 a bottle, this unassuming workhorse delivers class, three-season wearability, versatility and value. It is equally at home in the office or out on the town. It is a gentlemen’s scent in a traditional style, neither overly sweet nor dry, and built around a heady herbal/floral expansiveness anchored by sandalwood. Those used to contemporary colognes may find this one a bit “fuddy duddy,” but if you’re wanting to recapture a bit of the old school, this is a great first step. Similar: Brooks Brothers 1818.

2) Penhaligon’s English Fern. Number 1 carries a humble price tag, but your financial luck just ran out; at a whopping $90 a bottle, Penhaligon’s fragrances brazenly shake you down for your milk money. But this one is so fresh, green, sweet and wearable that it makes an excellent investment. Meant to evoke the English countryside, this one is a classic fougere, or “fern” scent. The fern accord is a combination of lavender and oakmoss, which together form something extraordinary. Within the green sweetness, you might catch hints of clover and wintergreen. I always get compliments when I wear this one. It’s well suited to spring and summer, but why not enjoy it year round. Similar: Trumper Wild Fern.

3) Trumper Eucris or Woods of Windsor ($35 or $70). This is where niche thinking applies. With 1 and 2, we already have two distinctive scents, broad wearability, and year-round seasonal coverage. So now let’s push out one end of the spectrum by adding something heavier for cool weather. And make no mistake; these two are the tawny port and tweed jacket of the cologne realm. Either/or will fill the niche nicely. Eucris ($70) is a complex, spicy EDT with hints of cumin and the signature Trumper “dusty” note – in this case delivered by crushed mulberry leaves. Woods of Windsor ($35, dwindling availability) is a traditional leather fragrance, based on a formula used to perfume leather in days of yore. This one features neroli, lemongrass and verbena in a solidly constructed formula. I would be hard pressed to choose between the two, but if forced, would go with the Eucris.

4) Caswell Massey Number Six or Taylor of Old Bond Street No. 74 Victorian Limes (around $30 ea.). Widening the circle back toward the warmer months, now, let’s add a citrus. CM No. 6, said to have been a favorite of Geo. Washington, is an orange-based eau-de-cologne with hints of clove and spice. It is light, and some say it has very limited legs. I am fortunate in that I will catch hints of it throughout the day. Taylor Limes is a straightforward limes scent with good longevity. It’s tangy, but not quite as sharp as you might expect it to be; there is something in the formula that rounds it out just a bit, giving it body and presence, but without intruding on the limes scent.

At this point, I would consider the bases covered in fine style – except for, perhaps, a casual weekend knockabout fragrance. These top four would constitute my universal recommendations for starting a collection. From here on, there is more variability in terms of usability and rank order. My own particular preferences are much more evident now.

5) Trumper Marlborough: As with #1, I see this as a three-season scent appropriate for office or social events, and that’s why it leads off Round 2. At its core, it’s a cedar fragrance, but one that’s on a mind-expanding trip from all those geraniums it ate earlier. It’s dry, heady, floral, snappy, soapy and woody all at once – a bit of a perfume-like edge to it, but well enough anchored that the whole thing just ends up clean and classy. This is one that I actually like more as it wears throughout the day. (This is the wee bottle, but it comes in full 100 ml. as well.)

6) Trumper Spanish Leather:
I almost feel guilty deferring this one until #6, but this is where my niche approach leaves it. Somewhat like #1, in that it is a medium-bodied, three-season, traditional style cologne that can bridge a wide range of situations. Rich and leathery with a bit of the Trumper dustiness, it has been described by some as “gramps-ish.” But it is so well done (and so widely heralded) that you owe it to yourself to check it out. (If you disagree, I’ll let you take it up with Gordon, Mike Sandoval and a few dozen others.)

7) Taylor Mr. Taylor or Roger & Gallet Vetiver: Not often cited, these are two excellent, affordable fragrances with a dry herbal/grassy edge to them. The Taylor is drier, but both are complex in a subtle, intriguing way. They conjure images of woven reed mats, burlap bags of grass seed, and the hint of incense on the breeze. The R&G is sweetened and deepened by a bit of citrus. (Side note: I first encountered R&G Vetiver at Colonial Drug in Boston, and for me it will always be linked by association with the sophistication and charm of that great city.) Still, I generally prefer drier things, so if I had to choose, I would give the Taylor a slight edge.

8) Truefitt & Hill Grafton or Tuscany by Aramis: I believe it is useful to have at least one contemporary style cologne, and these are two great candidates – distinctive without rocking the boat. Truefitt’s sales copy refers to Grafton’s “herbaceous” qualities, which for me are the heart of its appeal. There are some vague leathery/woody tones, as well. There is a certain warmth to the woodiness, but it is counterbalanced by the expansive (ozonic?) contemporary notes. In all, it’s a very balanced and classy formula. The Tuscany is an old standby of mine – spicy and exotic, yet still very controlled and sophisticated. Check it out at your local department store.

9) Trumper Sandalwood or Hoyt’s Cologne: With very different styles and price tags, these are two unlikely niche-mates, but it’s time for that weekend knockabout cologne – something that’s casual and comfortable. I don’t exactly get sandalwood from the Trumper; it’s sweet and has a toasty golden hay-like note along with a bit of a ginger note. The visual I get from it is drinking a ginger ale in a hayfield on a late autumn afternoon, with the low-angled sunlight casting long shadows. (If you like a sweet, toasty sandalwood, also check out Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood; you pay 20% less for twice the amount in Trumper’s 50 ml. bottle.) The Hoyt’s is an American classic dating from 1868; it has some lavender in it, but a lot of other things going on as well – floral, spices (anise, maybe?), a little citrus perhaps. This one is hard to describe, but it’s very distinctive yet casual. A real sleeper.

10) Musgo Real No. 2 Oak Moss: This one is just about a niche unto itself – a clean scent that is green and aromatic, yet fairly dry. It smells of green leaves and snapped fresh twigs – with a balsamic quality around the edges – very distinctive. Quite similar to the scent of Taylor’s Avocado cream, if you know that one. Excellent longevity and a true bargain at $30.

Well, there is my attempt to outline a niche-based approach to building your cologne collection. There are doubtless many other choices that could be made – both in how you define your niches and in how you populate them. But I hope that this exercise serves as an example of how you might go about planning your purchases. This is not an inexpensive hobby, so proceed deliberately. Search the forum, seek out advice, and get samples whenever you can.

Enjoy!
Doug

Resources:
Fragrance descriptions and reviews: www.basenotes.net
London’s Bathecary: http://www.shoplondons.com/
Classic Shaving: http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/522960.htm
Em’s Place: http://www.emsplace.com/grooming/geo_f_ ... tries.aspx
Vintage Blades: http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/x ... hp?cat=135
C.O. Bigelow: http://www.bigelowchemists.com/index.php
Enchante Online: http://www.enchanteonline.com/pages/fra ... rances.htm
Gordon’s Personal Top 10: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... s+personal
Gordon’s All-Time Top 10: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... s+personal

------------------------------------------
EDITS

7/22: Added Bigelow link to Resources
Last edited by DEF on Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
minderasr

Post by minderasr »

Excellent post Doug! Thank you. I've been trying to build up a collection of scents. What I have so far...

Pinaud Clubman AS Lotion
Musgo Real AS Classic Scent
Saint Charles Shave New Spice EDT
Geo F. Trumper GFT Cologne
Pecksniff's Oriental Woody EDT
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Cologne
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 EDT
Old Spice Original AS & EDC
D.R. Harris Pink AS
Lustray Spice After Shave Lotion
Lustray Blue Spice
-= Jim =-

"If your knot flops and splays you are working it too hard."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Doug, Very well done. If one is going to be a shavegeek, and/or knowledgeable scent and grooming junkie, may as well kick out the jams and do it in the road ( chuckle ). Your descriptions are very nicely done, and accurate, IMO. There is very little, even on a personal taste level, that I would seriously argue about either. I regularly wear several of those colognes, and have worn most of the others at one time or another. I wouldn't even seriously grouse about your selection of Grafton and Tuscany if one does want one more 'modern' scent, they would be better choices then almost any others around. My selection would, of course, be somewhat different, but not radically different....by no means. In fact, if I could have only four colognes, Trumpers Spanish Leather, Penhaligon's English Fern and Taylors No 74 Lime would be three of them ( Floris No 89 would be the fourth, with Taylors Sandalwood as number five ). Good job, and an excellent photo.
Regards,
Gordon
DEF

Post by DEF »

Thanks very much, Gordon and Jim. I was just taking the photo on a lark and afterwards thought I should put it to some sort of use. I might have arranged the bottles differently if I had planned it.

Much of my fragrance education has come from Gordon's postings, so I take his stamp of approval as high praise.

Floris No. 89 is the final item on my wet shaving/grooming/fragrance purchase list for the next 6-12 months, after which I will observe a buying moratorium. Right now I'm debating ordering it from the UK versus waiting for US distribution.

Jim, you have many there that I haven't tried, but it looks like you're diversifying, which is the way to get the most bang for your buck.

Regards,
Doug
BF4MVP

Post by BF4MVP »

Doug,

Wow! Great collection, I'm no where near that. Just an FYI, I just purchased the Floris 89 from accross the Pond. Service was excellent and was here much quicker (6days) then I thought... Here is the link...

http://www.englishhall.com/shopping/113
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

Great post Doug! I now know what to shoot for in a cologne collection. Or at least what to sample. I have a wealth of samples from Floris (including their No.89), Penhaligon's, Trumper's and others. My collection so far is:

SCS Bay Rum w/Twist
C&E Nomad
Murray & Lanman Florida Water

I know that this is the one are of shaving which I haven't jumped into headlong! :lol: ! It just may be the next place I sink some of my disposable income! Thanks again Doug!

Warmest regards, Niksa
DEF

Post by DEF »

BF4MVP --

Thanks for the link. I landed a consulting gig yesterday and celebrated with the No. 89 purchase. Now I'm done buying stuff for the next 6-12 months, except for replenishment of existing products I run out of.

Regards,
Doug
BF4MVP

Post by BF4MVP »

Congratulatuions Doug on your gig and purchase. Just a side note. When I was ordering and was having problems with the Floris of London website,thus eventually ended up purchasing from the link I mentioned in my above post. They (Floris of London) wanted to know where I purchased it from and have let me know that they were a reputable company and a distibutor of there products so no worries there.

Enjoy!

BF4MVP
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Doug,

What a great collection! I can feel the envy inside me!! :D

Seriously though, well done on the No 89. Im a dedicated wearer and i know you'll fall in love with it. Nothing else compares IMHO.

I have just bought a bottle of Floris JF in their summer sale which was very reasonable priced. I'm not sure how it works for you guys in the US regarding Floris sales, but if it is the same as the UK, then $30 for Floris JF is pretty good going.

Gareth
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

The inclusion of Aramis Tuscany in your collection, a fragrance mentioned in other threads as a possible exception to the mass vs class appeal of dept store fragrances ,reminds me of a story that in turn prompts me to semi-hijack this thread. Some years ago I was staying at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki hotel. A friend and I were returning to our rooms after a business dinner, overdressed for Hawaii in suits. I was wearing a "prototype" sample of Aramis Tuscany. We entered an elevator and my friend held the doors for a young (20-25 years my junior) and very pretty young lady. She stood in front of us, back to us and I noticed her shoulders and body were shaking/quivering...I thought she was perhaps sobbing. No words passed but as the doors opened at her floor, she turned around, barely able to contain her giggling and said (words to that effect anyway): "it's a good thing, he (pointing to my friend) was with you because I seriously thought of raping you...your after shave is driving me crazy." she left the elevator and I told my friend that we should hereafter travel in separate elevators. Not often, but from time to time people (usually women) may have commented on my choice of fragrance, but never before or since with such unbridled enthusiasm. I still like Tuscany and am glad you've included it in your personal collection. Perhaps your wearing it will provoke a similar response from the fair sex. Best, John
minderasr

Post by minderasr »

JRTASTER wrote:"...I seriously thought of raping you...your after shave is driving me crazy."
Can you feel the rush of air as gentlemen run to their local department store? Great story John, thanks for sharing.
-= Jim =-

"If your knot flops and splays you are working it too hard."
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

JRTASTER wrote:"it's a good thing, he (pointing to my friend) was with you because I seriously thought of raping you...your after shave is driving me crazy."
And they never found his corpse? Or you plea-bargained, or what? I mean, you did kill him, right?

8)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
jnich67

Post by jnich67 »

Great post Doug. I've been struggling to bring some structure to my collection and this is a useful tool. Thanks!

Jordan
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

no, murder was out out of the question...without him as a witness who would have possibly believed me?? john
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Doug, thanks for a great post.

I had time to kill in San Francisco this evening, so I stalked colognes. I first stopped at Brooks Brothers, whose 1818 I liked very much. Crisp and masculine, not macho, but at $50, I kept hunting. I tried to find the Caswell-Massey store to sniff some #6 -- if only for historical interest -- but it looks like they've moved or closed altogether. On to Gumps to see about Trumpers -- but they were hosting a private party of extraordinarily fashionable people; not exactly my crowd, I decided.

Thus leading me to the new San Francisco Shopping Center on Market. First into Bloomingdales, with its disappointing collection of modern synthetic stuff (plus a bit of AOS). Further into the mall, I found AOS itself, a small space, but decently stocked with its brushes, creams and soaps (AOS soap for $40? That's a bit much, I think), plus a few Plisson brushes. I was about to ask the Plisson prices, but then I remembered what they say about having to do that. Next I ran into L'Occitane, and got to smell the Cade soap in a cool metal bowl: very tempting, although not much room to work the brush in that bowl.

I held onto my wallet, and rode the express elevators to Nordstroms, where I met a very knowledgeable gent in the shave section. He asked what I usually wore, and from my description of the scent, he sampled several interesting colognes for me. Encouraged, I pulled out my list, based on the DEF Theory of Cologne Collection, and I surprised him by asking about Aramis Tuscany. It wasn't on the shelf, but he picked it confidently out of a drawer and sampled it. The paper strip smelled great, and my hunt ended there. (I also picked up some Lucky Tiger Aftershave lotion, just for fun.)

The Nordstroms salesman loaded up my shopping bag with samples, including a couple of Hermes colognes. I'll report back about those.

--Glenn
hyperwarp

Post by hyperwarp »

LawzAmercy, how I do love Hoyt's 1868.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Wow, Glenn; you had quite the odyssey there. Sorry you didn't find more open doors, but you made a good buy there with the Tuscany, IMO. Glad to hear the sales associate was impressed, and I'm honored I made "pocket reference" status with my post!

Warp -- I'm with you on the Hoyt's. It's the kind of cologne that finds its way to the back of the hutch, and then every once in a while you pull it out again and wonder "Why don't I wear this all the time?" It's a real classic and perfect for casual wear.

I read with amusement the line about "being done for 6-12 months," because I just ordered two more EDTs from Colonial Drug in Boston -- Knize Ten and Yatagan by Caron. These are two heavy hitters that will definitely fall into the Eucris / Woods of Windsor end of the spectrum. In fact, between the Floris No. 89, Knize and Yatagan purchases, I may very well be thinning the herd before long in the Selling & Trading forum.
Doug
bugaz

Post by bugaz »

Well done Doug! Great post and very impressive collection you have got there.
Have I spotted a bottle of Puig's Agua Lavender on the top shelf (the third on the left?)?
Very nice indeed. I am impressed that there was no reference to the basenotes,com in your post. I am with you on the classics, but very little are available here in Oz. Even your usual Pinaud Clubman readily available in the US is almost impossible to get here in Australia.
I am with you on Tuscany btw, great scent and very unique.
Congrats on the purchase of Knize Ten, I hope I'll try it one day.
Cheers,
Alex
Never too old
DEF

Post by DEF »

Thanks, Alex. That is, indeed, Puig on the top row. An excellent splash that is subtle but surprisingly long lived on my person. For warm weather, I almost believe that if you gave me Caswell Massey No. 6, I would let you keep Taylor No. 74 Limes in favor of the Puig. For some reason, I've been a bit off the limes lately.

Basenotes is a wonderful site; there is a link at the end of my post under "Resources."

Sorry to hear things are scarce Down Under. I got a taste of global sourcing when I had to order my Floris No. 89 from the UK recently.

Regards,
Doug
dbenus

Post by dbenus »

A girl once gave me a bottle of Eternity. I used to play music in crowded Latin nightclubs; that fragrance got even better as I sweated; the muskiness of my perspiration mixed with the fragrance was very pleasant to me and even more so to the women who always complimented me on my smell.

I was so unhappy (as well as worried) when the recent reports about Eternity's carcinogenic properties were discovered and revealed. I hope I didn't breath in too much of the stuff. :lol:

I'll miss wearing it and the attention paid to me by the Latin beauties, but it is (was) a really nice fragrance.
David Benus
Bayonne, NJ USA