Rooney's Hair

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
e5f

Rooney's Hair

Post by e5f »

Just out of curiosity, do any of you have "issues" regarding Rooneys brushes that lose too much hair before they are supposed to.

I had (have) a style #3 that I had been using intermitantly over the past couple of years. It seems though that whenever I use the brush nowadays I end up finding anywhere from 6-15 loose hairs every time the brush is used?!? I know that Rooneys have a good reputation and all that, I'm just thinking if my situation here is a very unusual one experienced.

Thanks,
Merlyn
Facts Destroy Liberalism
yomuppet

Re: Rooney's Hair

Post by yomuppet »

e5f wrote:Just out of curiosity, do any of you have "issues" regarding Rooneys brushes that lose too much hair before they are supposed to.

I had (have) a style #3 that I had been using intermitantly over the past couple of years. It seems though that whenever I use the brush nowadays I end up finding anywhere from 6-15 loose hairs every time the brush is used?!? I know that Rooneys have a good reputation and all that, I'm just thinking if my situation here is a very unusual one experienced.

Thanks,
Merlyn
I have not noticed this with either their 3-band or 2-band brushes, I would say each lost maybe a total of 20-30 hairs during the first 5-6 shaves, then nothing after that. How many would you say yours has lost total?

J
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

If I remember correctly, my Rooney lost half a dozen hairs total.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Zaniix

Re: Rooney's Hair

Post by Zaniix »

e5f wrote:Just out of curiosity, do any of you have "issues" regarding Rooneys brushes that lose too much hair before they are supposed to.

Thanks,
Merlyn
My rooney has lost at least 100 hairs so far. I seem to loose at least 1 or 2 every shave.

It seems that this can happen in any brush and is not the norm for Rooney.
Chris
yomuppet

Post by yomuppet »

I would say that 100+ is more than likely abnormal, especially if it is still shedding after being in service for ~ a year (if I read your post correctly). I would contact the vendor, and perhaps through them the manufacturer.

When mine was new, I got concerned after 25 hairs and did inquire with the vendor, who asked me to keep in touch with them if the shedding continued. Thankfully it did not, but they sounded very willing to make it right. Please let us know how it goes. Best of luck.

J
e5f

Post by e5f »

I would guess that I have seen ~ 120-180 hairs over the past couple dozen times I have used it. I know that this is way above normal but I was wondering if anybody else experienced this situation as well. The brush itself is nice but I'm not too excited about its lack of stiffness overall. Since I picked up a Kent brush (Hi Steve), I have found that I tend to use the firmer brushes more and more.

I guess I prefer the scrubbing action :lol:

Thanks,
Merlyn
Facts Destroy Liberalism
yomuppet

Post by yomuppet »

e5f wrote:I would guess that I have seen ~ 120-180 hairs over the past couple dozen times I have used it. I know that this is way above normal but I was wondering if anybody else experienced this situation as well. The brush itself is nice but I'm not too excited about its lack of stiffness overall. Since I picked up a Kent brush (Hi Steve), I have found that I tend to use the firmer brushes more and more.

I guess I prefer the scrubbing action :lol:

Thanks,
Merlyn
The vendor (and through them, the manufacturer if necessary) should definitely be able to help you out with this. My experience with the Style 1, is that it has been quite firm in both the 2 and 3 banded brushes. I've not yet had the opportunity to try a style 3, however.

I would definitely suggest going to the vendor for a replacement, or even if only just as an FYI to them, as I'm sure they would be interested to hear of the issue. Best of luck in either case.

J
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Merlyn, You must have gotten that brush pretty much as soon as they appeared for sale, as they haven't been available for much longer then two years, eh? I didn't pick one up until later so I can't speak to your question from direct personal experiance. How many times per week have you used this Rooney ( as I recall that you have other brushes )?
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have had two Rooney Finest. Maybe two hairs total between the two were shed.

Sam
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have a Rooney's #2 in finest and have lost perhaps 6 hairs in the past 3 months and I use it every day.
e5f

Post by e5f »

bernards66 wrote:Merlyn, You must have gotten that brush pretty much as soon as they appeared for sale, as they haven't been available for much longer then two years, eh? I didn't pick one up until later so I can't speak to your question from direct personal experiance. How many times per week have you used this Rooney ( as I recall that you have other brushes )?
Regards,
Gordon
Yes, I picked it up from the Gentleman's shop pretty much when they first came out. I don't really use it that much. As I try and use uncoloured creams for my Plisson and Simpson's, I use the Rooney's for those more coloured as I don't need to worry so much about staining perfectly good old "Silvertip" ones. (You know the ones I'm talking about).

I've got ~ 14 different creams I'm using throughout a regular basis so I guess I would use the Rooney's for a full week once every 3-4 weeks maybe.(My favourite creams are all stored away for future use somewhere down the road)..........maybe a loooooong road :oops:

Anyway, I'm not too upset regarding this brush. Aside from the (lack) of stiffness, it seems to be a good brush and all that. OK, the hair loss too :roll:

Thanks,
Merlyn
Facts Destroy Liberalism
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Merlyn, Hmmm....well, it certainly shouldn't be shedding like that, I wouldn't think. I'm wondering if, perhaps, since you got one of the very first ones, when production finally resumed, that maybe they hadn't worked all the kinks out ot their operation at that point? Chuckle, anyway, I did seem to recall that you had some VERY high end Simpsons and Plissons, so, you're not left exactly having to lather up your old-style Trumpers with your paws. BTW, I use the same sort of set-up. With the Rooney White and the Plisson, only white creams. For the really highly colored stuff, I use my Vulfix or Kent BK4 usually.
Regards,
Gordon
stubbleboy

Post by stubbleboy »

This sucks! I'm loosing too much hair before my time, and now shaving brushes do it, too?!

Is this a sign from God for me to be a bald guy tripping on my beard?
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

stubbleboy wrote:Is this a sign from God for me to be a bald guy tripping on my beard?
No. God wants your head to be shiny top and bottom, the better to reflect the light of the wisdom of your fellow man (which is mostly pretty dim, and could use a little reflecting). :lol:
e5f

Post by e5f »

Gordon;
Yeah, I was talking to Lee earlier regarding the staining of said brushes. He didn't seem to be too concerned about this as it didn't affect it's performance. And I agree about this fact, it's just that after spending a sum of money on a half-decent brush, I don't want to see it look a little......discheveled perhaps???

I do plan on continuing to use it as my go-to brush for the coloured creams. The brush still has a good deal of hair left and I don't want to go through the hassle of getting another brush again for a little while. Although if push really does come to shove I suppose I could augment some to the brush hair with my own if need be. :)

Thanks,
Merlyn
Facts Destroy Liberalism
DEF

Post by DEF »

I have a Rooney Finest, Style 1 small, and it loses 1-3 bristles each time I use it. I save them in a Ziploc bag, for some reason.

I'm not going to buy any more nice brushes. The Omega and Vulfix boar brushes are plenty good for the job, are cheap, and typically don't shed. And if they did, they wouldn't induce any real worry.

Doug
Doug
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

DEF wrote:I have a Rooney Finest, Style 1 small, and it loses 1-3 bristles each time I use it. I save them in a Ziploc bag, for some reason.

I'm not going to buy any more nice brushes. The Omega and Vulfix boar brushes are plenty good for the job, are cheap, and typically don't shed. And if they did, they wouldn't induce any real worry.

Doug
Really? I've had three Rooney finests and they each lost maybe 2-3 bristles, not at once either. Even the one I've been using for the last few months hasn't lost any.
Richard
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I have 4 Sabini finests and they've lost maybe a hair or two among them.
I do have a Rooney Super that does shed a few here and there. The SMF III hasn't shed any hairs, and a Sabini super hasn't shed any either. Funny thing, the one actually labeled a Rooney sheds and the ones that aren't labeled shed no hairs. :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

I have one Sabini Finest (and another on the way) that has only lost 1 hair.
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!
e5f

Post by e5f »

Well it does seem to me that you either end up with a pretty damn fine brush, or you end up with one you can't even dust with after a while!!!

Here's hoping that this issue ends up only being minor.

Thanks,
Merlyn
Facts Destroy Liberalism