Pomades - Trumper v. American Crew

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Arklawboy

Pomades - Trumper v. American Crew

Post by Arklawboy »

Good afternoon, gentlemen. I have read through several posts, but didn't see a comparison between American Crew pomade and Trumper's pomade (I'd like to try the Trumper's, I think). I have recently been using American Crew, which works okay. Previously, I used Aveda's control paste (on the advice of my then-hairdresser), which would sometimes be a little too much hold. I have also tried T&H CAR cream without oil, and while I enjoyed the scent, I didn't get much hold from that.

Generally, I apply the pomade after my hair is dry, and I prefer that procedure. Any comparison / thoughts re: Trumper's and American Crew? Weight? "Slick" factor (which I generally want to avoid)? Scent? Any thoughts are welcome.

I don't post as often as I would like, but I do appreciate the wealth of information here. Many thanks!

All the best,

Chad
"I'll be back pulling strings to get guys elected mayor and governor before you ever get a 10-buck raise!" Johnny Rocco (Edward G. Robinson), while getting a "not-too-close" straight razor shave from Angel in "Key Largo"
Barry

Re: Pomades - Trumper v. American Crew

Post by Barry »

Chad,

I have used both. I no longer have the American Crew.

The Trumper's has a decent amount of hold but it gives my hair a greasy appearance if I use too much. The scent reminds me maybe a bit of Pashana's "Blue Orchid."

The consistency is somewhat different than the American Crew product. I saw a picture that made the Trumper's blue look almost like a tacky/sticky sculpting paste (maybe it was that way in the past) but to me it is more like an old fashioned pomade. It's soft, maybe a bit dry but very easy to apply. I remember the American Crew product being much more shiny and slick. With the Trumper's I get a medium amount of hold and my hair remains soft to the touch.

You might want to consider "Kiehl's Cream Wax" if you haven't tried it yet. It my favorite by far. It's a cream and does not give my hair a greasy look. Also, it doesn't make my hair very stiff at all. It's not cheap for a hair product so I try to make a little bit go a long way. Sometimes I'll mix it up a bit with the Trumper's pomade.

Barry
Stubble

Post by Stubble »

I use American Crew "Fiber". It has a sufficient amount of hold, and no shine at all. You apply it to your hair when damp, rub it in and then comb or brush.
Stubble
The Truthinator

Post by The Truthinator »

Chad,

you should try Murray's pomade, it gives you great control, your hair does not look greasy after you applied it and it is very inexpensive.

http://www.murrayspomade.com/home2.html

Check out the button "products" for more information and if you want to know what all the stylists are using or gents like Clooney and DiCaprio, check out the button "hype".
BlankTim

Post by BlankTim »

I use the American Crew Pomade.
It works great, though it is a bit expensive for me.

I used to use a product that I picked up at the local Walmart. It was in a clear/white tub, and carried the "Professional" line name on it. it was like $6.00 and was much better than the AC I thought, but my local store doesn't seem to stock it anymore.
This is the stuff here http://www.customnails.com/profulholpom.html

As a bonus, the tubs are the perfect size for holding a puck of Williams mug soap.
-Tim
...So I lathered him with me shillelagh...
jAk440

Post by jAk440 »

The Truthinator wrote:Chad,

you should try Murray's pomade, it gives you great control, your hair does not look greasy after you applied it and it is very inexpensive.

http://www.murrayspomade.com/home2.html

Check out the button "products" for more information and if you want to know what all the stylists are using or gents like Clooney and DiCaprio, check out the button "hype".
This stuff is tried and true, but doesn't wash out. Ever.
American Crew really has nice products, but you have to match the product with the effect you're looking for. The pomade is very high sheen. The Fiber has no sheen, and can help "thicken" hair a bit. The Grooming Cream sort of works as a mixture of the pomade and the Fiber (it may actually be a mixture!). There is also a Classic Wax, which works fairly well, too, but doesn't hold as well. There are one or two more options in the line. You should be able to find one that suits you.
Jordan
AZwildcat

Post by AZwildcat »

MOP makes a very nice orange peel molding cream that is like fiber. It is very similar to Bumble & Bumble's Sumotech but at about half the price.
Chris
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

jAk440 wrote:
The Grooming Cream sort of works as a mixture of the pomade and the Fiber (it may actually be a mixture!). .
The problem I have with the Grooming Cream is that it is very hard to wash out. I like the hold though.
Richard
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

American Crew Pomade had the right amount of sheen but it clumped my hair together. KMS had a pomade that works, and I am on the last tub of it as they discontinued it. I have baby fine hair and can use a medium sheen to it. I did try some Garnier Fructis pomade and for $2.50 or so, may have to go back to it. A little more sticky than I like but I may need to warm it up more before applying.

Sam
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

American Crew has a Pomade in their Tea Tree line that is very good.
Regards,
Jani
Chris Richards

Post by Chris Richards »

Ok, dumb question here:

What is the difference between a Pomade and regular hair gel?
Proraso Man

Post by Proraso Man »

pomade is more of a grease that makes your hair look dry and styled- no flakes/"dandruff" that gels turn into hours later.

sportin' waves at the grocery store- best $2.55 i ever spent. :P
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Chris Richards wrote:Ok, dumb question here:

What is the difference between a Pomade and regular hair gel?
Pomade doesn't stiffen up like gel and makes your hair feel more natural. It isn't necessarily greasy IMHO (depends on the make though).
Richard