Trumpers GFT Shave Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Churchill

Trumpers GFT Shave Cream

Post by Churchill »

Hello Everyone,
I just recieved a tube of Trumpers GFT shave cream from Em today.I ordered it on a whim because I was ordering the cologne so thought what the heck! I just tried it today and was pleasantly surprised with the cream. It lathered up much more favorably than the Trumpers limes that I have. I used an almond sized dollop and had twice as much lather as I needed. Plus the scent is fantastic! Definately a summertime scent. Just thought I would give everyone my thoughts and see what y'all thought of it.
Bob
Bob
ringo448

Post by ringo448 »

I agree.

I've had my tube of GFT for about a month, and I have no complaints. Although this is a cologne scented cream, it is not strong (like T&H 1805). This cream is very good for summertime. I also recommend Trumper Lime and Coconut for warmer weather. **In case your wondering: GFT stands for Geo F. Trumper

John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, Well, to me, the GFT cream was definately the 'new style' stuff. Hardly surprising as it's a recent product. As far as the scent goes, I do think that it's fairly faithful to the cologne, but like almost all cologne scented shave creams, the scent is too strong for me ( although I agree that it's not as potent smelling as something like T&Hs 1805 ). Personally, I always thought that Fougena or Wild Fern would make a superlative scent for a shave cream. But I guess that's just too 'old fashioned' for Ian Matthews and company these days.
Regards,
Gordon
jlmwrite

Post by jlmwrite »

No arguments about the quality of the GFT. I bought a tub on my very first shopping seizure nearly two years ago, It never fails to disappoint except I find that the scent is not as wonderful as most of the other old-line English creams.

The bergamot and lemon immediately slap you in the face, and the base notes (musky, cedary?) are long in coming and remain overwhelmed by the citrus. It's a "new" cologne-and-barber shop scent that is by no means unpleasant, but I can bet this tub will last a very, very long time on my shelf o' shaving goodies.
"What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? H** no!" -- Animal House, 1978
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

I agree that the cologne scented shave creams are not near as likable as the traditionals. The reason I went with this one was to reinforce the scent since I plan on following it up with the cologne. Living in the hot and humid conditions in Houston really have heightened my affinity for citrus colognes and this really seems to fit the bill. What really surprised me was the difference in the lather compared to the limes s/c. It was really no contest,far superior in my opinion. I also heard from Rebeca at Trumpers today and my sample kit is on the way. I have been chomping at the bit to buy the wild fern but restrained myself to try the sample first.

Bob
Bob