Art of Shaving brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Kazaam

Art of Shaving brush

Post by Kazaam »

Im looking for an inexpensive brush, and a forum member on here is offering to sell me the AoS brush really cheaply. is it decent? I dont want to spend tons right now so it would be a big help. eventually ill get something better.

thanks!
yomuppet

Re: Art of Shaving brush

Post by yomuppet »

Kazaam wrote:Im looking for an inexpensive brush, and a forum member on here is offering to sell me the AoS brush really cheaply. is it decent? I dont want to spend tons right now so it would be a big help. eventually ill get something better.

thanks!
You could definitely do worse for a first brush. If it is under ~$37, I would say go for it, but if it's close I would personally opt for the 'cream best badger' brush from Crabtree & Evelyn.

Either will do you just fine as a first brush, but you may get more mileage (in that you'll want to keep using it longer) from the C&E. Best of luck.

J
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

do you know which brush it is? there's one that comes in their low priced sampler pack which is alright for a starter brush but I think the tweezerman is equal to if not better than the AOS one. Again, that if it's the one in their inexpensive sampler pack. i'll see if i can find a picture....

Here's one of the sample kits with brush.
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, as with most other lines, it depends somewhat. I have an old AOS 'Fine Badger' brush that's pretty good. Very like a better grade Shavemac, really. But it costs around $110 several years ago. It's not worth what it's price tag was, but it's a fairly good brush. As was suggested, it would depend upon which AOS brush it is, and how much he was asking, as to whether you could do better or not.
Regards,
Gordon
Kazaam

Post by Kazaam »

its from the set, if that helps at all. i think the set retails for around $40?

thanks for the replies everyone!
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

I made the offer to Kazaam and it is the one from the $35-40 set from Art of Shaving. I may have used it once but my purpose in getting the set was to try the AOS products not the brush as I already had a better brush. Input is welcomed as I don't have any to give Kazaam on how the brush works. I figure it is probably a very serviceable starter brush.

Just so others can weigh in on the brush and other "starter items" I offered I will list them below
1) Brush - AOS starter kit -- mentioned above - I offered it for $2
2) Proraso Shave Cream (green tube) - $6 (which is what I paid from another member here). Personally, I really like this product. Love the menthol and the shave it gives. I sure Kazaam would appreciate feedback on this product (as well as being able to search prior threads).
3) Proraso ASB - $6 (once again what I paid). I like this but have only used a couple of times during the summer. It gets very favorable feedback and I have never been disappointed in a Proraso product (currently using the AS splash during the summer and love it)

Basically the total for the three things was $14 plus shipping. This is just to cover my costs in the items.

The great thing about this forum is the integrity of the people in it. I have had several transactions via sales and trades and have never had a problem. It is very refreshing in today's society to have such honesty and integrity in transactions. I wanted to reinforce this to Kazaam as he is new to the forum.

Sorry to hijack the thread but wanted to give others a chance to weigh in for Kazaam's benefit.

Chris
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Chris, I think your offer is very generous and more than fair, now that it has been put into context. I would jump all over that. Your offer is a very inexpensive way to try out wetshaving with a brush and if he doesn't like it he is not out alot.
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
yomuppet

Post by yomuppet »

alabamalawyer wrote:I made the offer to Kazaam and it is the one from the $35-40 set from Art of Shaving. I may have used it once but my purpose in getting the set was to try the AOS products not the brush as I already had a better brush. Input is welcomed as I don't have any to give Kazaam on how the brush works. I figure it is probably a very serviceable starter brush.

Just so others can weigh in on the brush and other "starter items" I offered I will list them below
1) Brush - AOS starter kit -- mentioned above - I offered it for $2
2) Proraso Shave Cream (green tube) - $6 (which is what I paid from another member here). Personally, I really like this product. Love the menthol and the shave it gives. I sure Kazaam would appreciate feedback on this product (as well as being able to search prior threads).
3) Proraso ASB - $6 (once again what I paid). I like this but have only used a couple of times during the summer. It gets very favorable feedback and I have never been disappointed in a Proraso product (currently using the AS splash during the summer and love it)

Basically the total for the three things was $14 plus shipping. This is just to cover my costs in the items.

The great thing about this forum is the integrity of the people in it. I have had several transactions via sales and trades and have never had a problem. It is very refreshing in today's society to have such honesty and integrity in transactions. I wanted to reinforce this to Kazaam as he is new to the forum.

Sorry to hijack the thread but wanted to give others a chance to weigh in for Kazaam's benefit.

Chris
More than fair Chris, jump as fast as you can OP. Best of luck.

J
dada

Post by dada »

Are you kidding me - he's giving you the brush for the price of a pack of gum, fcol - get this asap!

Cheers
Ivo
Zennmaster

Post by Zennmaster »

For what it's worth, I have the brush in question, and I find it works great as an entry-level badger brush, and also very well as a "beater" travel brush. As I am still casting about for my long-term "go-to" brush, I find that this is the one I am reaching for, past the Body Shop's synthetic, and the no-name boar brush that I bought at a drugstore about 15 years ago during my "first" (and completely misguided) wet shaving phase.

So, yeah, Kazaam, if you haven't already, fork over the two bucks! I mean seriously, if you got home at the end of the day and discovered that the two dollars you thought you had in your pocket had slipped out somewhere, how upset would you really be? And this way you get some gear!

-Michael
Michael Zenner
Portland, Oregon, USA