Vulfix Grades Vs. Rooney Grades

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Fractal

Vulfix Grades Vs. Rooney Grades

Post by Fractal »

Vulfix makes Rooney, right?

The hair quality that Vulfix has is: Super Badger, Best Badger, Pure Badgre, & Pure Bristle.

The hair quality that Rooney has is: Finest, Super Silvertip, Genuine Silvertip, Best Badger, & Pure Badger.

So if I wanted to match up the equivalents, what would I do?

I'm trying to get something really nice for less if it's identical.
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Re: Vulfix Grades Vs. Rooney Grades

Post by texasPI »

Fractal wrote:Vulfix makes Rooney, right?
I don't think that's right. :?
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
Amyn

Re: Vulfix Grades Vs. Rooney Grades

Post by Amyn »

Fractal wrote:Vulfix makes Rooney, right?
Nope. Two different companies w/ completely different offerings.

Some Rooney lover is spinning in his grave. :lol:
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Eh? Progress-Vulfix is located on the Isle of Man. RA Rooney is in the East End of London. Philip Waterson is the head honcho at Vulfix, whilst Lee Sabini runs the show at Rooney. Where did you get the idea that they were somehow the same company?
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

They are not even a little bit similar, in my experience.
Fractal

Post by Fractal »

lol Wow! Guess I was way off, huh?

Still can any comparisons be made between the two?

I have a Vulfix Super Badger (I don't know which one), and am looking for an "upgrade."

Re: My not knowing what kind of Vulfix I have - Is there a way to tell? I know it's a Super Badger because of the handle design; however, I forgot everything else (i.e. knot size (it's one of the smaller ones), bristle loft, etc.).

:/
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Better tell us how much of an upgrade you wish to purchase. The best quality brush to be bought today is a Rooney Finest (no, I'm not going to duck; it's true), but they are expensive. If you aren't wanting to go that far, it doesn't matter so much which brand you buy. Give us a budget and we'll be delighted to spend it for you.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I agree with Chris, although for a brush on a budget, a Rooney Super would be better than a Vulfix in my opinion.
If you can afford a Finest, then that would be the only brush you would need. :wink: cough, cough.......... :wink: Unless you get SBAD, and start collecting Simpsons and Plissons and other Rooneys.................. :wink:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Fractal, Yeah, the price range you are considering is crucial to us being able to give you meaningful feedback. Vulfix Supers are good brushes. As far as I can tell, they are made in the same manner as Rooney Supers and are not really all that dissimiliar. The Rooneys are more densly packed, which is a factor with some shavers, but not necessarily with all ( Clive comes to mind....and Corey Greenberg as well ). If you're willing to spend in the $100-$150 range, personally, I'd say, get a Simpson Best.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Fractal, it all depends on what you want from a brush.

I ordered a Rooney Finest, because it was the "finest," and it wasn't the right brush for me. For our own Clive, the Vulfix is the best, and we have other members with other favorites.

Do you make lather on your face or in a bowl? What are you looking for in an upgrade?

I wish you the best -

- Murray
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Besides budget, a little information on what you like and don't like about your current brush would be great.
Fractal

Post by Fractal »

:D There's a lot more to this than I first thought. Thanks for all your patience!

I'm looking in the $100-150 range.
I make my lather in a bowl using shaving cream.
I'm looking for a more "luxurious/pampered" feel.

:)
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Hi Benoit ( :wink: ),

May i suggest the Polo 8 in best?

Perfect allround brush, and a Simpsons too...!
Peter
hicabi

Post by hicabi »

Vulfix Super badger is exactly equal to the hair in my Simpon's Duke 3 Best.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, that would be a most excellent choice. I have one, and it's quite "luxurious" feeling, and very substantial. A serious shave brush. If, perchance, you think that the handle of the Polo #8 would just be too big for your taste, then there is the Duke #3 or Commodore X3, or even the Persian Jar models #2 pr #3.
Regards,
Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

hicabi, Yes, it is, at least, quite similiar, but you will notice that the Duke #3 is packed considerably more densely then is the Vulfix, and the knot is set deeper into the handle.
Regards,
Gordon
hicabi

Post by hicabi »

Gordon, I agree. Duke 3 (23mm knot) had at least %30 more hair than than Vulfix 2235 (24mm knot).

It is interesting that "Super" in one brand is similar to "Best" in another...
Fractal

Post by Fractal »

Okay. Looks like I'll be putting the Rooney Style 3 Small Super Silvertip on my Christmas list this year. Thanks guys!
jfrancisco

Post by jfrancisco »

Fractal wrote:Okay. Looks like I'll be putting the Rooney Style 3 Small Super Silvertip on my Christmas list this year. Thanks guys!
That's a great brush that should provide you with many excellent shaves.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. - Salvador Dali
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

hicabi, Yes, definately. That's why, if one is at all picky, and interested in getting what one wants, there is no substitude for some knowledge, and some familiarity with the actual maker's products, as there is no uniformity in how the various companies choose to name their various grades of bristle, how densely they're packed, or much of anything else. Shoot, Kent BKs are simply marked as 'Pure Badger' even though those models are the top of their current line, and Plisson doesn't use that terminology at all.
Regards,
Gordon