Peaty Single Malts, anyone?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
reginald-van-gleason

Peaty Single Malts, anyone?

Post by reginald-van-gleason »

I love the heavy peat moss flavor in certain single malts -- Lagavulin and Talisker are among my favorites -- Lagavulin's asking price seems to be going through the roof as of late, $70 at Bevmo, I remember picking up a bottle for $39.99 at Trader Joe's. Anyway, what are some other peaty types that you single malt snobs out there might recommend (I've also tried Laphroaig--not bad). Thanks.

RVG
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Laphroig 15 is my all-time favorite. Can't beat Ardbeg for in your face peat, either.

Not much of a summer drink, though.

-Scotto
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

I'll be right over for a drink, Scotto. I'm with you on the Laphroig. Cheers, J.
reginald-van-gleason

Scotto wrote:Laphroig 15 is my all-time favorite. Can't beat Ardbeg for in your face peat, either.

Not much of a summer drink, though.

-Scotto
Thanks Scotto, I've tasted the 10, but not the 15-- I'll be sure to try it.
The Ardberg looks mighty tempting too... for me there's no such thing as too much peat... well there probably is, but I haven't tasted it yet.

I'm in San Francisco, so the term "summer" doesn't apply -- right now its foggy and cool (much like the Scottish highlands, I would guess). bottoms up.

RVG
navajadeafeitar

Re: Peaty Single Malts, anyone?

Post by navajadeafeitar »

reginald-van-gleason wrote:I love the heavy peat moss flavor in certain single malts -- Lagavulin and Talisker are among my favorites -- Lagavulin's asking price seems to be going through the roof as of late, $70 at Bevmo, I remember picking up a bottle for $39.99 at Trader Joe's. Anyway, what are some other peaty types that you single malt snobs out there might recommend (I've also tried Laphroaig--not bad). Thanks.

RVG
Bowmore (available at Bevmo). More reasonably priced too...
------------------------------------------
Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
reginald-van-gleason

I love Bowmore, but I have only tried the youngest one. I'm excited to see what their 16 year aged whiskey is like.

RVG
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Lagavulin is my all-time favorite. I really like the young Laphroaig too, it's got quite a bite to it.
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
reginald-van-gleason

Knockandhu... love that name... I will be looking out for it.

Thanks for sharing that little secret about the Jameson's and Lapsang, Chris... sounds like total indulgence. Next time I go bar hopping I'll request a "J & L" from the bartender and see what kind of look I get -- or does this little creation of yours already have a name?

RVG
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

I'll throw my vote for Talisker. So peaty I can smell the peat fires roasting the....well anyway its good stuff.
John P.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Mmm... drinks with tar in them...
(Homer Simpson voice optional)
:lol:
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Aaaaaaah. . . latakia. . . it's been 25 years! -- but better that I don't smoke at all I guess.
--Pat Thayer
Living well is the best revenge.
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

I'll usually go for one of my cigars before firing up one of the meerschaums. In either case, a wee glass of Tullamore Dew 12 is a perfect accompaniment.

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant