van der hagen glycerin soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
chuck in ny

van der hagen glycerin soap

Post by chuck in ny »

has anybody used this soap? it is going for $1.59 at drugstore.com and free shipping over $25. seems to be unscented?
stealth

Post by stealth »

You should be able to pick it up for the same price at any local supermarket, drug store, walmart, etc.. Not exactly a high end soap, but it's decent stuff for the price - essentially the same as Col Conk soaps, which VDH manufactures. It's got a scent that's supposed to resemble Grey Flannel. I'd recommend going with the Deluxe (pink puck).
Chandra

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot."
hicabi

Post by hicabi »

Excellent soaps. I get more comfortable shaves with VDH than Trumpers (Almond). Trumpers produces rich creamy lather fast, and has amazing scents. But shaving is smoother and less irritating with VDH. When the Trumpers is finished, I will not get a new one; but I will always keep a VDH in my rotation.

I've tried the white, pink and the translucent (glycerin) versions; and I prefer them in that order.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I've never heard anybody say it was terrible - and I have heard that about much more expensive items. Certainly worth a try at this price.
groucho

Post by groucho »

There's never a week that I don't use it in my rotation. Great stuff for a great price.
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

In my opinion it is one of the very best buys out there, comes up regularily in my rotation.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
drumana

Post by drumana »

I'm not a fan of the VDH fragrance, but as stated above, folks seem to like it and get good shaves from it. . . I prefer Williams Soap in that price range
-Andrew-
hicabi

Post by hicabi »

Different people, different preferences...

I liked the cheap VDH so much that I gave William's Mug Soap a shot. But I threw the William's in the trash after the first shave. I must admit that I did not try hard to lather with William's; maybe I should've used a mug. VDH was easier to generate lather, even in its plastic container.

So I guess one has to try first hand to see what he likes.
Chris Richards

Post by Chris Richards »

Somebody else on here gave the following tip: he

Microwave a puck of VDH for 30 seconds in the microwave. Drop a puck of Williams in the center after the VDH has melted. Let it congeal back together. You get the benefits of both. I did this and it works well.
arcman

Post by arcman »

When I first started shaving with a brush and soap, which was a month or two ago, I had a starter set that came with a rounded soap puck called "Kingsley". If you search for that on this forum you'll see that it's awful, and I wholeheartedly agree. Not long afterwards I went browsing in various drug stores to see what I could find locally and I picked up a Deluxe VDH puck. The difference was night and day, this produced a much better lather and had very pleasing scent. VDH and Williams Mug are probably the best commonly available shaving soaps around, near as I can tell.
CK

Post by CK »

Chris Richards wrote:Somebody else on here gave the following tip: he

Microwave a puck of VDH for 30 seconds in the microwave. Drop a puck of Williams in the center after the VDH has melted. Let it congeal back together. You get the benefits of both. I did this and it works well.
I need to try that...
Charlie
Mr. Igg

Post by Mr. Igg »

I really, really like VDH Deluxe. I just shaved with it this AM, in fact, and it delivers on par with things costing soooooo much more. It's also very, very good as a shaving stick (I melted it into an empty container), and in that role, it's especially good for serving as the base in a super lather: rub VDH shaving stick on your beard, then lather over with a cream. Like many of you, I've got a fair number of different soaps, ranging up to some of the higher-end tripple-milled soaps; I certainly like the others, and enjoy the variety; but, I truly can't imagine not owning this (VDH) soap, and I could look anyone in the eye and say that if this were the only soap I could use, I'd be very content.
Bryan
Lionhearted

Post by Lionhearted »

It's $1.49 at the local Walgreens, Super D drug store and a local grocery store. Walmarts in this area carry only Williams. VDH pink is one of my favorite soaps not that I've tried that many. Grey Flannel was a best selling men's fragrance 30 years ago.

Richard
Damon

Post by Damon »

I buy the Deluxe VDH at Wall Mart and I like it's performance for the price. I feel it's much better than Williams.
Damon

"I Want Dapper Dan, Not Fop"