Chubby 3 Users

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Marsom

Chubby 3 Users

Post by Marsom »

Just curious, how many of you who own Chubby 3 brushhes build your lather on the face? Like many of you, I've gotten away from using a bowl and prefer to spend time working the lather on the face with gentle circular strokes. I've owned my share of brushes, but the best two brushes I've ever owned are the CH1 Best and the sole brush I currently own and use daily (Vulfix 2234). Both of these brushes work well for face lathering. Not too abrasive on the face when using circular strokes.

I've always wanted a CH3, but steered clear of them because I figured they would be too large, unwieldy, and tough to lather optimally. At this point, I will be buying a second brush. It will not be a "practical" purchase. I could be completely satisfied using my 2234 until it wears out. There are a few different brushes I'm looking at.

I have owned a CH2 White. I did like the brush, but I've come to realize that whites are too stiff and harsh on my skin. Especially, the way I lather. If it would have been a best or 3 band super, I probably would've never sold it.

Best,
Marion
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

CH3 best is soft, but only after breaking it in for a couple of dozen shaves. No doubt they vary a little, someone recently described his a s soft from the start. None of this implies soft like Vulfix or Kent - I mean firm hairs with soft tips. Delicious!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

drmoss_ca wrote:C No doubt they vary a little, someone recently described his a s soft from the start.
Was this the gent??

Mike R

Post by Mike R »

I had an older CH3 Best last spring and it was firm yet soft. Very soft. I bought a new one about a month ago, I've used it for just about every shave since then, and it's soft, but not as nice as the old one. The older one I bought used, so I'm not sure about the break-in period; my new one has been pretty consistent texture (?) since I got it. It's not scratchy or prickly by any means, it just isn't as soft as the old one was, and it hasn't softened noticeably since I got it.

I lather on my face with it and it works fine. The bristles don't splay much, so it's completely useable as a face-lathering brush (IMO, YMMV, etc.). It's maybe a little big, comparing it to my Duke 3 best, but I like it that way. I prefer to scrub and swirl for the first pass to build the lather and massage my face, then for the second or any following passes I mostly paint, so it works great that way for me.

Mike
Amyn

Post by Amyn »

Mike R wrote:
I had an older CH3 Best last spring and it was firm yet soft. Very soft. I bought a new one about a month ago, I've used it for just about every shave since then, and it's soft, but not as nice as the old one. The older one I bought used, so I'm not sure about the break-in period; my new one has been pretty consistent texture (?) since I got it. It's not scratchy or prickly by any means, it just isn't as soft as the old one was, and it hasn't softened noticeably since I got it.

Mike
I have Mike's old CH3 best it has very firm bristles and very soft tips. I look forward to using it every time.

As for the lathering process I have only used it with soaps. I load the brush with soaps give it a 4-5 swirls in the shaving bowl and lather on my face works like a charm.

Every time I use this brush it is like getting a massage on my face. it is so relaxing that I could probably fall asleep lathering myself.

Oh and best of all I have only lost 7-8 hair on this brush and this was only during the first 2 shaves. Not a single one since then.

:D
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

Well, I'm really considering one of three brushes. I do realize that the brushes I'm looking at are nothing like each other... CH3 Super (three band), Tulip 2 White, or Duke 3 Best. The T2 and Duke would probably be the most practical choices. The CH3 is just something I've always wanted for some reason.

Best,
Marion
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Prior to Amyn and Mike I owned that very Chubby 3 Brush in BEST (prior to that B&B member Valdez ( Mark) owned it....so I guess we ALL broke it in very well. As for you Marion, I have owned the CH3 and a T-4 (Richard, rustyblades shedder) Along with around 6 other various Simpson brushes as well as my current and only brush, the Duke 3 in Best. There is a reason I just have the Duke 3 now...it is simply all i really need...(although I may have to buy one of Gordon's (and my B&B Belgium friend Stauff, Frederik's) FAVORITE...the Polo 8.
Mike
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

Mike, yeah honestly, I am heavily leaning towards the Duke 3. I loved my CH1 Best, but I wanted a similar brush with a little longer handle. Everyone who has owned a Duke 3 seems to love them. I usually steer away from white tipped brushes, but the smaller sized Tulip 2 might be okay for me. I love the way those T2s are coming out. Anyhow, I don't plan on making a purchase for a month or so...

Best,
Marion
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

Oh yeah, and might I add that I am looking for a brush that works well with face lathering creams and soaps. I know the Duke is great for this.

Best,
Marion
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Marsom wrote: I loved my CH1 Best, but I wanted a similar brush with a little longer handle.

Best,
Marion
Have a look at the Polo 8, it has similar hair dimensions as the Chubby 1 but with a nice, longer handle.
Works well with both soaps and creams.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Nitrox wrote:
Marsom wrote: I loved my CH1 Best, but I wanted a similar brush with a little longer handle.

Best,
Marion
Have a look at the Polo 8, it has similar hair dimensions as the Chubby 1 but with a nice, longer handle.
Works well with both soaps and creams.
Bruno...THAT is the reason that I would consider the Polo 8....its handle might be just the ticket with a similar knot as the DUKE
Mike
Steve

Post by Steve »

Marion,

I have a Chubby #3 Super and use a mug for all soaps and creams. I do about 20 swirls in the mug then build the lather on my face. I get gobs of lather with this brush and love it!

Steve
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

I bought a chubby 3 Manchurian from a forum member awhile back. It is a beautiful thing. I wondered why anyone would sell it. After lathering I found that this brush could probably remove rust from a chrome car bumper :) I have been using it in rotation with some of my other brushes and it is getting softer. It is so dense that it is hard to get the lather to release from the center of the brush but I imagine with use that will improve too. Once broken in it will probably be a helluva brush.
Regards,

jimmy
greychamp

Post by greychamp »

I've had a Chubby 3 for about 10 years and used it every day for both soaps and creams for about nine of them. It has lost over 200 (I guess) hairs during that time and now, I alternate it with two other brushes. I use the other brushes with soaps and the C3 with creams. I lather in a bowl. It is still going strong after all these years and still has plenty of hairs left.
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

Greychamp, it seems this happens to quite a few of the Simpsons brushes... this shedding thing. I suppose a brush as dense as the CH3 would still be going strong even after shedding over 200 hairs. If I spent that kind of money on a brush, I expect it to shed very minimally. I mean, I have a Vulfix Super that cost me a little over $50 and it's probably shed under ten hairs since I've had it. I've owned it for 6 or 7 months now I think and I use it everyday.

I had a CH2 Super(White) a few years back. It was a great brush. I owned it before the whole Simpson shedding saga period happened. It didn't shed that much when I owned, but the gent who bought it from me claimed that it started shedding on him like crazy. Makes no sense. Point is, brushes that go for top dollar, shouldn't shed. Quite a letdown.

Best,
Marion
Steve

Post by Steve »

I don't have the hair loss problem. I may have lost say, 4 hairs in the four years I have owned it and I use it everyday.

Steve
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Marsom wrote: I had a CH2 Super(White) a few years back. . . . It didn't shed that much when I owned, but the gent who bought it from me claimed that it started shedding on him like crazy. Makes no sense.
I had a similar experience with a Tulip 3 Super I bought from one of the guys here. It was fine when he had it, and obviously hadn't been much used (and certainly not maltreated) yet the moment I got it in my hands -- or, at least, into my shaving soap -- it started shedding like a sick cat. Still at it, too, though less extremely. The only thing we could think of was that it had got too cold in shipping (trans-Atlantic) and the epoxy had gone into thermal shock or something.

Odd thing is, I really like the brush, despite its sheddery.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Micheal, Yeah, they really are marvelous shave brushes; I'm sorry to hear that you are having some....a....issues with the one that you have. I've had mine for a couple of years now, and it's shed not at all.
Regards,
Gordon
djmsalem

Post by djmsalem »

I have a CH3 in Best and a SMF1, and while the SMF is softer, the Simpson's is much more satisfying to me.

I build the lather on my face when using soap, in a bowl when using cream.
dridiot

Post by dridiot »

Hi all,

I have owned a 2-band Chubby 3 Best, and when I first started out with it, it was one stiffy/scratchy brush. So much so, that I nearly wanna ditch it. After about 25 shaves, it soften a bit.

And Today, it remains one of my favourite brushes, as with the Chubby series.

Regards,
Jason