Chubby 1 in Best

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Chubby 1 in Best

Post by rustyblade »

Gordon, here is the picture of that Chubby you wanted to see in colour:

Richard
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

i like it. i probably would have it instead of the rooney 1.1 i have now if simpson wasn't having technical difficulties when i was looking for a brush. oh well...maybe in 25 years i'll need another one.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, Thank you for taking the time. Okay; that looks pretty much like my Polo #8 and most other Simpson Bests that I've seen. In your black and white photo, and at that angle, it seemed to look a lot like the bristle in my Rooney Emillion, which seemed surprising, and is why I asked. Everything's now back to 'normal' ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Gordon, I'm glad this brush is ordinary. I couldn't handle the excitement if it was special in some way, especially since I prefer my T2 more.
Richard
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I'm having trouble finding polite words to describe how much I dislike this brush. Yes, it has a tight knot, and yes, it is very controlled and nice to look at, but what an awful brush for actually using. Travel brush at best.

The Tulip 2 is much more refined and elegant.
Richard
Sando

Post by Sando »

rustyblade wrote:I'm having trouble finding polite words to describe how much I dislike this brush.
Why? Too small? Too scrubby? I'd be interested to hear since it's on my List To Own.

...Ray
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Sando wrote:
rustyblade wrote:I'm having trouble finding polite words to describe how much I dislike this brush.
Why? Too small? Too scrubby? I'd be interested to hear since it's on my List To Own.

...Ray
Handle is too small, lather gets all over it; loft is a bit too short and dense. It doesn't hold enough lather for my style of shaving (face latherer). Nice looking brush though.
Richard
sebell

Post by sebell »

-- Handle is too small

Yup.

-- lather gets all over it

Sometimes for me as well, but only
once in a while.

-- loft is a bit too short and dense

Could be true!

-- It doesn't hold enough lather for my style of shaving (face latherer)

I'll have to agree here as well.

-- Nice looking brush though.

There are prettier!

Why is this my daily brush? I suppose
because I'm used to it, I get wonderful
lather from it, and I own it. Great brush
for soaps and creams!

- Scott
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ha! And he calls ME "picky" and " a curmudgeon"....and now even a Simpson Chubby #1 Best isn't good enough for him. Even I liked the CH1 Best, mind you ( of course, Corey Greenberg didn't, which is why I had it for awhile....then again, he preferred Vulfixes anyway ). Maybe it's an 'off' specimen, Richard. Why don't you send it to me to check out for a bit....you know...just to be sure.
Regards,
Gordon
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

I own a Chubby 1 Best and love it. I am also primarily a face-latherer (mostly soaps) and it does a superb job of it. I like it so much, I ordered a Chubby 1 Super as well!
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

I've had my Chubby 1 in Best for a little over a month. I really enjoy it.

It is stiff enough to lather hard-milled soaps beautifully, and soft enough to make face-lathering a vigorous pleasure.

I appreciate its clean, simple proportions: nothing baroque here. And I don't mind getting a little lather on my fingers now and then.

To each his own, I guess, but as a face-lathering hard soap guy, I couldn't be happier.

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

rustyblade wrote: Handle is too small, lather gets all over it; loft is a bit too short and dense. It doesn't hold enough lather for my style of shaving (face latherer). Nice looking brush though.
Guys, keep an eye on the selling and trading forum............. :wink: :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bruno, No. I think that he should send it to me for an extended evaluation. Perhaps he got a lemon, and given some time, I'm sure that I could discern what the 'problem' is.....a selfless service that I also made available to Corey Greenberg. It's the least I can do for a fellow moderator and curmudgeon. ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Yes, Gordon. You provide a valuable service in helping members to realize that they didn't make a bad choice with their acquisitions. :wink:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Gordon certainly looks out for the best interests of his fellow members.

When you use one quality brush for an extended period of time (weird, I know), you come to expect certain things in terms of performance. I'm a big fan of small brushes, but the chubby sort of falls flat. It doesn't lather as easy, holds too much water, too stout, and the handle becomes slippery. Sort of like a short, stout Irish fellow who drinks too much, can hold his urine way too long, and then when you actually need his help he throws up (and I might as well say it: too much Guinness) all over himself. You just don't want to mess with that. Does that make sense? :roll:

I didn't like the Rooney 1,1 Finest for similar reasons.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Guinness, you say? Well, hey.....I'm pretty sure now that something's amiss with the CH1 that you got. All the more reason to send it along for an in-depth evaluation. I'll send you a PM with my address in case you have mislaid it. The Duke of Silvetip will get to the bottom of this, I assure you! Seriously, it's funny, because I didn't care much for the Rooney Style 1, small, but I really liked the CH1 Best. I had none of the difficulties with it that you describe, and I thought it was just a whiz with the wooden bowls of hard soap. Ah well....we're back to that dreadful YMMV business....sigh.
Regards,
Gordon
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

Very much a case of YMMV. I love my Rooney Finest style 1 small and the style 1 small super I got from you Gordon. OTOH, some time ago I bought a Simpson Chubby 2 Manchurian from a forum member. When I first heard of the Manchurians and that they were no longer produced I yearned for one. The name conjured up pictures in my mind of Gary Cooper in "The General Died At Dawn", Beautiful women, Chinese junks etcetera. I couldn't figure out why anyone that had one would part with it. I did a search for Manchurian and found the thread on the selling forum where the same brush had been sold to the guy I was buying it from. Then I got the brush. It is gorgeous. Having it hasn't gotten me on a Chinese junk with alluring women chasing me and worst of all it isn't a very good shaving brush ........ for me. I bet it would remove the rust from a chrome bumper if not the chrome to boot. The knot is so dense that it locks the lather in and it is brutal to apply the pressure necessary to release it. That said I am determined to keep it in the rotation and break it in and I hope soften it up to the point where it will be as much ot a pleasure to use as it is to look at.
Regards,

jimmy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jimmy, I'm glad to hear that the small Rooney worked well for you. I didn't actively dislike it, mind you, but it wasn't really my 'thing'. I did, however, very much like that CH1 Best....but the person who sent it to me scorned it utterly...so there you are. Yeah, those Simpson Manchurians are clearly very much in the YMMV camp. Buzz here, who has used hugh Plisson HMWs for ages, had no use for the one that he had, but some other gents just raved about theirs, back a few years ago. I've never seen one up close and personal myself....only photos.
Regards,
Gordon
Occam

Post by Occam »

I think I would like the Chubby 1 a great deal.

My daily brush for the past 2 months is a Vulfix #2190 a travel brush that is small and filled with pure badger in this case.

I love it, except for the lather spillover onto fingers.

http://www.vulfixoldoriginal.com/produc ... oductID=37

The photo on Vulfixes site is not like mine since it shows no bloom. Mine could almost be a twin of Richard's brush above in terms of shape/bloom and relative size of bristles to handle.

The Vulfik has specs:

Handle height: 40mm
Overall brush height: 80mm
Knot diameter (At base): 19mm

so it's probably smaller than the Chubby, but its a great brush really. Don't have much to compare it to though. I could do a review if someone has a Chubby they can spare, don't like very much etc :)
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

Gordon, I'm not a fan of the Rooney style 1 small either (I had the Finest). The handle was just about worthless to me, and I wasn't fond of the knot either (too stuby for such stiff hair). But the person I sold it to loves it. Stangely, the Chubby 1 handle is fine. Sure, it's not the best I've held, but I never notice it when in use. Love the knot.
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!