Reverting Back To My Sensor

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
HBK42581

Reverting Back To My Sensor

Post by HBK42581 »

After 3 months of so so results, I think for my next shave I'm going to revert back to my Sensor. I figure that using the new creams and brush that I have and some of the new techniques I have learned (go with the grain and use little to no pressure) that I might get closer to the results that I am looking for. I just can't seem to get my DE technique down. It's very frustrating and the fact that I am a fairly impatient person by nature, makes for some pretty nasty shaves sometimes. I just want to see how it goes. If I get the horrid shaving irritation that I used to, I'll come back to the DE and give it another go. But, if it works wonders for me, well then I may be having a razor sale pretty soon.
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

AncientOne

Post by AncientOne »

I understand your dilemma. I am in the same boat...I just couldn't get my technique down, and the single blade was killing my sensitive skin.

I keep using the wetshaving supplies---badger brush, C.O. Bigelow and Taylor creams, but I reverted back to my Mach III, and I get awesome shaves. Works great for me.
James
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

No one here thinks any less of either one of you if you didn't take to the DE. I go back and forth myself...between the DE and a few SEs...and a Bic. To each his own...

But a Mach 3? They kill me...all sorts of bumps. I might be able to use a Sensor, if I took a day or two off from shaving every once in a while...but hey, that's my skin. That's why there are 200 different razors on the market!
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

I use a Sensor when I'm in a hurry. I can get a BBS shave with it, but it doesn't last as long as a BBS DE (or straight) shave. Also, I am unable to use one consistently (with multiple passes) without beating my face up. If this weren't the case, I would probably use the Sensor the majority of the time and a DE as a novelty.
Mike
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

My main issue is really just the closeness of the shave. I can't get BBS without going against the grain with my DE and that just kills me big time. Whereas, at least when I was still using it, I was getting fairly close shaves with my Sensor and I'd be willing to bet that my irritation back then was coming from the amount of pressure I was using. We'll see what happens.

AncientOne

Post by AncientOne »

Yeah, I guess it's just the differences in skin. I get a BBS shave seven days a week with my Mach III, and that is with three passes. However, one pass with a DE killed me...razor burn, razor bumps, and nicks galore.
James
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

AncientOne wrote:Yeah, I guess it's just the differences in skin. I get a BBS shave seven days a week with my Mach III, and that is with three passes. However, one pass with a DE killed me...razor burn, razor bumps, and nicks galore.
What is your pass order? WTG, XTG and ATG?

AncientOne

Post by AncientOne »

HBK42581 wrote:
AncientOne wrote:Yeah, I guess it's just the differences in skin. I get a BBS shave seven days a week with my Mach III, and that is with three passes. However, one pass with a DE killed me...razor burn, razor bumps, and nicks galore.
Yup. That's my order.

I also forgot to mention earlier, that I so love the "traditional" way that I ordered one of the nickel sensor razor handles from classic shaving.com. I love it, and it makes me feel like I am still using a DE type razor.
James
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Three passes with a multi-blade -- any multi-blade -- and I'm a goner. My neck would look like hamburg. In fact, when I was shaving with the Sensor daily, my boss ORDERED me to go to a dermatologist and get a shaving waiver (that was when I worked at at clean shaven shop). One of the guys took pity on me and told me about wetshaving...which led both of us to this forum...and here I am.

That said, I only go against the grain from the Adam's apple up. The rest of the neck can't hack more than one pass, no matter what I use.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

AncientOne wrote:
HBK42581 wrote:
Yup. That's my order.

I also forgot to mention earlier, that I so love the "traditional" way that I ordered one of the nickel sensor razor handles from classic shaving.com. I love it, and it makes me feel like I am still using a DE type razor.

Is this the one you speak of?: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 194585.htm

AFG

Post by AFG »

I can use either a Sensor or a Fusion and get a very good shave but not with the M 3. That one feels like sandpaper on my face. When I first started DE shaving, I also had some doubts that I could stick with it as I was not getting very good shaves and much more irritation than I had experienced with the multi blade razors. But I stuck with it, found that just about anything was better than the Merkur blades I had first been using and now get a close, non irritating shave. A better razor, blades and a little experience made the difference. But if I had given up on the DE shaving I was prepared to order one of the twin blade razors from Classic Shaving.
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

When shaving with a DE we are told to "let the weight of the razor do the work." My Sensor is extremely light weight and may also be another cause for me pressing down so hard in my earlier shaving years. I'd be willing to bet that the extra weight of that solid classic shaving twin razor would help quite a bit and may be something that I'll need to look into depending on how this next shave goes.

AncientOne

Post by AncientOne »

HBK42581 wrote:
AncientOne wrote:
HBK42581 wrote: What is your pass order? WTG, XTG and ATG?
Yup. That's my order.

Is this the one you speak of?: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 194585.htm
No, the nickel one in this group:
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 431943.htm
James
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Scott,

It sounds like you have not found the blade for you, I get terrible shaves with most blades but once I tried the IP's I was a happy camper. I can pretty much shave with any blade but some nick me and some just are not sharp enough for me, with the IP's I get a great shave every time. Good Luck...

Regards,
Marty
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

AncientOne wrote:
HBK42581 wrote:
AncientOne wrote: Yup. That's my order.

No, the nickel one in this group:
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 431943.htm

Oh right, you use the Mach 3. The link I sent would be for my Sensor blades.

Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

I really like my DE but I think that the Sensor was a really good razor, probably the last good one they made at Gillette. I still have mine. Good luck!
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
BillShaver

Post by BillShaver »

I also been struggling to get the "perfect shave" from my DE. So i know what you mean hbk. With blades in general though i could never get as close of a shave as i can with a electric. I shaved my face with my old foil top electric the other day and my face was BBS for like two days after.. Granted i pretty much tore my neck up with irritation, but that all goes away within an hour or two. Makes me wonder how everyone here is getting such close shaves without doing like 6 passes! I thought i had my technique down. Even two days after the electric shave i went back to try and get the little stubble that grew with the DE. I looked the same after using the DE after multiple passes, yet the DE shaving should be the closest shave ever? Then why is my electric shaving off more hairs? I can never feel my face ATG and not feel any stubble after a DE shave, but when i use an electric shaver it's BBS.

I'm thinking it's just that with an electric i don't really pay attention to the # of passes, so i just keep going over the same area without really realizing it and in all different directions. Plus the fact that it cuts hair below the skin line and causes ingrown hairs. Either way i will not be giving up on DE shaving anytime soon, try to better my technique and keep trying different blades/ creams.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi i know that every one cant get the shave they need and want with a de but i find that the gillette multi blade shavers are not consistent
they tend to be every good when they are first put on the market then after some time the quality and consistenty changes for the worst

with the de shaving there are so many blades and razors to try there must be a razor and blade combo that will made your shave comfaortable and give the results you need

to make my point i find the heavier the razor, the better for me
i use merkur blades as my main blades but switch of to a feather to get the closest shave that is what works for me also i find soaps work better than creams for me etc etc

if you like the light feel in a razor you may do best with a weishi and a derby blade each razor shaves at a different angle so you may need to try several until you get one that is best for your self

i can use many razors that shave at different angles no problem
i also use a barberpole that razor is a lot different than my futur but i can shave well it to for me its all about the weight

even though you may have great quality shaving products they may not be great for you personally

also i have recently found preshaves helps me shave my best
i just use basic noxema for that for years i tried preshaves and i never got better results with them now i cant think of shaving with out using noxema

you must do what works best for yourself but persoanally a few months of de shaving may not be enough time just to get the technique
will take longer than that technique is more than how to hold the razor and make the proper passes its learning your beard and how it grows
and to be able to know your face

when you get it de shaving working for you the feeling afterwards is special and the feeling lasts all day

i think its worth the time spent and each day will get better even after 30 yrs

marc