Found this at Walmart

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
oldfat1

Found this at Walmart

Post by oldfat1 »

While the wife and I were in Walmart I told her I was going to look around at the shaving products. Lo and behold I found something. It is Van Der Hagen "deluxe" shave soap. It says with Aloe Vera and Shea Butter. It was a whopping $.97.

Has anyone tried it?

I will use it in the morning and get back to you on it.
Last edited by oldfat1 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Good stuff. VdH Deluxe is one of the better bargain priced soaps.
~Greg
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

An excellent soap for the price. Not exactly Trumpers or T&H but it can give you a terrific shave.

--Mark
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Van Der Hagen shave soap is a great bargain and a really good soap. Van Der Hagen Enterprises has been making soap for two generations. It was started by current president Marty Van Der Hagen's dad. VDH also makes the Colonel Conk soaps (using the Conk formula). The scent for all three variants of VDH soap (Deluxe, Select and glycerin) is a very light knock-off of Grey Flannel. It's so subtle that it's hard to tell what it is.

The Select soap is certified hypoallergenic, though I was told that all three should be, just that VDH only went through the testing for the Select. When I first started using the Deluxe, it contained lanolin. But they reformulated it to contain aloe vera and shea butter. The new formulation is just as good as the previous.

Another plus, in addition to being a very good performer and a great bargain, is that you can microwave it (on low; don't boil it!) to conform to any bowl or shaving mug.

Happy shaving!

Dave
hampsteronastick

Post by hampsteronastick »

Dave wrote:
Another plus, in addition to being a very good performer and a great bargain, is that you can microwave it (on low; don't boil it!) to conform to any bowl or shaving mug.
It also works very well melted into an empty deodorant stick container and used as a shaving stick.
Dan
Daddy, why are you dipping the hampster in whipped cream?
It's not whipped cream, it's shaving cream.
Daddy, why are you shaving the hampster?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Ken, its good stuff. Easily melted ( I microwave on high for 40 seconds but I'm a type A personality) and when in liquid state you can add any cologne or scent you wish. Its so cheap toss some other stuff in there and experiment away, the shave will be the same.
Regards,
Squire
oldfat1

Post by oldfat1 »

Thanks everyone :D .

Hey Squire, do you mean I could mix Bay Rum, Clubman or other aftershaves/colognes into the soap?

Please tell me more. Will this work with say Williams and others as well? How much do you add?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm now thinking about all the possibilities.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes Ken, Clubman, Bay Rum, mix in whatever you like. This only works with glycerin soaps like VDH however, hard tallow soaps like Williams don't micro melt.
Regards,
Squire
oldfat1

Post by oldfat1 »

Thank you Squire :) .

Tomorrow it is to Walmart! I shall spend the day trying to mix soaps.
yabamaba

Post by yabamaba »

Hello, i was reading this post and thought man i have to try microwaving my soap. So i got my mug and soap headed to the microwave and had this weird feeling, it was like a feeling of self-preservation. I was thinking that if this soap does anything to this microwave.... i'm dead. Then i remembered my wife has this .... candle melting light thing... and wouldn't you know my mug fit right on it! Ten minutes later the soap melted, the room smells great, and the bacon in the morning won't taste like lilac!

just thought i'd put it out there for someone else :)
---Jeff---
oldfat1

Post by oldfat1 »

Hi everyone.

Well I now have soaps for Clubman, Clubman Special Reserve and Bay Rum. I didn't really mind the scent of the VDH, but now I have my own custom soaps.

Thanks to everyone for the tips. :D
Winzzy

Post by Winzzy »

I am going to have to go to walmart to check this out... If I can get my wife in there she hats walmart...
-Tim
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

VDH also makes a shave stick, BTW. I have a couple.
oldfat1

Post by oldfat1 »

If you don't mind a newbie question, what is a shave stick?
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

A shave stick is a shaving soap in the shape of a stick. You wash your beard, and then rub the stick against the grain all over your wet beard. Where your beard is thickest and toughest will scrape off the most soap, a plus.

Then you take your wet brush and vigorously brush your beard, building the lather as you go. It works extremely well, and the stick format is useful for travel. Nowadays, you can find shave sticks at almost all the on-line vendors, including the handmade stuff (QED, Honeybee Spa, Mama Bear, etc.). In fact, it was QED who introduced me to the shave stick. Now I always use a shave stick on Monday, when I have a two-day stubble.

The D.R. Harris shave stick (Vintage Blades LLC) is quite good, but there are other triple-milled sticks as well: Valobra, for example. You can get the Boots shave stick at Boots in the UK or from Razor and Brush in the US.
oldfat1

Post by oldfat1 »

Thank you!

Now I have something new to try :D .
Mr. Igg

Post by Mr. Igg »

hampsteronastick wrote:Dave wrote:
It also works very well melted into an empty deodorant stick container and used as a shaving stick.
Dan
+1

Let me add my voice to the "very pro VDH" choir; everything they've said is spot on. There are probably better soaps in the world; they also cost large multiples of dollars more. VDH is simply a screaming deal of a performer. I've got several pucks around, both melted into bowls and in an empty deo stick. It truly is one soap I doubt I'd ever be without.
Bryan
Kazaam

Post by Kazaam »

i couldnt find it at my walmart! :(
yabamaba

Post by yabamaba »

Kazaam wrote:i couldnt find it at my walmart! :(
Do you have a Rite-aid by you? I have seen it there before.
---Jeff---
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Give it a week and try again...the Wal-Mart near me just stocked it this week.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."