Razor & Blade Recommendations for Sensitive Skin

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Fullrun

Razor & Blade Recommendations for Sensitive Skin

Post by Fullrun »

Had orginally began shaving with a DE, but for most of my life have used variations of the Mach 3 Gillette razor/blades.

Would like to venture into the DE experience... have sensitive skin and have used for year special shave cream for that.

Would appreciate the following from the experienced:

1. DE Razor Suggestions

2. Blade Suggestions

I have done some research on both... but really would appreciate feedback from those that have sensitive skin and have been into the DE wet shave experience. Thanks.
My Appreciation,
AC
goose

Post by goose »

AC,

For sensitive skin I would recommend a milder Gillette. A Gillette Tech, 40's Superspeed, or Gillette Adjustable dialed to a lower setting should all fit the bill.

As far as blades go, the Crystals would be your best starting point.

Best of luck,
Clint
Fullrun

Post by Fullrun »

Obliged. Thanks, Clint. I gather you feel that the Merkur would be a little aggressive given my skin type and being new to this again?
My Appreciation,
AC
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

The Gillette Tech is a gentle shaving razor. They came in various formats, including a slim handle with a ball end, and a hefty handle. I prefer the latter, but the heads are the same. They are offered up for sale on this forum and on eBay, and you should be able to get one for a reasonable price.

The late-40s/early-50s Gillette SuperSpeeds are also pretty gentle. I have one from my birth year (1952), and really like it, though I prefer the heftier handle of the Tech.

The Weishi is a new razor and is pretty gentle as well. Very affordable at places like cottonblossomcrafts.com. Do a search on this forum and you'll find plenty of postings about it. I have a Weishi and like it, but am addicted to my Tech.

For blades, I use the US Personnas (Walmart), though they can be a bit agressive on day 1. Some guys love 'em, some hate 'em.

By the way, what do you use for aftershave? I like Nivea Sensitive, and Proraso balm, but lately I've been using Thayers witch hazel (only 10% alcohol) with lemon scent. Wonderful stuff. Thayers also comes in an alcohol-free version with aloe vera.

Dave
goose

Post by goose »

I and some others feel Merkur makes a more agressive razor. I think with a milder Gillette you are less likely to cause yourself damage. I think an adjustable is probably your best bet, because it allows you to make the razor as mild or agressive as you would want.
Clint
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi AC - Welcome to SMF!

I agree with the recommendations you have gotten, so far. My favorite razor is still the gentle Gillette Tech. I also like the very gentle Weishi razor. My experience with the Merkur was that it was too aggressive/close-shaving for me.

The individual's experience with blades varies greatly from one shaver to the next. The blade that I find smoothest and most forgiving is the Dorco ST300, which is also an inexpensive blade. The most reported shortcoming of this blade is that it doesn't do well with a heavier beard. Other blades that are widely liked are the Crystal (also known as Israeli Personna) and Derby brands. These should not be aggressive blades, either, though the Crystal may be a little milder than the Derby.

I wish you a great start into this endeavor!

- Murray
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

My vote goes to a 40's Gillette Superspeed and Crystal/IP blades.
Mike
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

AC (Fullrun),

The previous posts have already summed up and covered what I would have said. But, just to reinforce the point...I would recommend getting the Gillette Tech 3-piece razor. It easily comes apart for cleaning, traveling, storing etc. It is very mild yet effective.

If you would prefer to not go with a vintage razor, than go with a Weishi TTO (Twist To Open). It would be brand new and never used. It is compared to gentle versions of the Gillette Superspeeds, easily found and affordable at $18 or less.

For blades the Crystal brand (a.k.a. Israeli Personna, but not the "reds") are quite gentle and smooth. Another popular brand that is slightly sharper and sometimes considered less smooth, is the Derby Extra.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hi AC, welcome aboard, I agree with Clint (both Posts) and Tim for razor and blade recommendations. My Merkur fixed head is a more aggressive razor and not necessarily the best place to start.
Regards,
Squire
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I think Clint has it. A nice mild Gillette Tech or early Super Speed. Perhaps consider the blue tipped Super Speeds. I also would suggest a slim adjustable. I have sensitive skin and find that it works well set on 3.

As for blades, I would suggest the Crystals or Derby's. Good luck.
JayKay

Post by JayKay »

It all depends on the type of beard you have. I have sensitive skin and a tough beard and just for the life of me cant get a good shave from a tech. I recommend the super speed and a blade sample pack.
-Jay
Fullrun

Post by Fullrun »

Thank you all for your feedback. Very appreciated. And there is enough agreement there for me to step in with some confidence that what was suggested will start me off on the right track.

I'm fortunate that while the skin is sensitive.. the beard is on the soft side - not on the tough side - and medium in thickness.

To answer Dave, I use a ultra lite moisture cream by Topix for my aftershave. (After rinsing with cool water to close the pores) Recommended by a dermatologist.... along with Aveeno Therapeutic gel.. at least that's what I have been using with a Mac3.

I don't require a close shave... just a clean and smooth one. I appreciate the support and the experience you've lent me.

One of the reasons that i have decided to move into a DE razor is that it is my belief that Gillette is now manufacturing inferior Mac3 blades.. so that they won't last as long.
My Appreciation,
AC
Fullrun

Post by Fullrun »

b]THOSE OF YOU WITH SENSITIVE SKIN ... WHAT SHAVE LATHER WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?[/b]
My Appreciation,
AC
Fullrun

Post by Fullrun »

Sorry, wrong part of the forum. Thanks guys for helping me out here!! Very appreciated.
My Appreciation,
AC
Janus

Post by Janus »

This may not apply to you, but as someone with sensitive skin (at least I thought I had, not so sure anymore) and having switched over to DE shaving from shaving with a cartridge razor (mine was a sensor excel) I now find that my skin seems to be less sensitive than before the switch. Must be the single blade cutting action that does the trick, and MWF, of course.

Regards,

Janus
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Janus wrote:This may not apply to you, but as someone with sensitive skin (at least I thought I had, not so sure anymore) and having switched over to DE shaving from shaving with a cartridge razor (mine was a sensor excel) I now find that my skin seems to be less sensitive than before the switch. Must be the single blade cutting action that does the trick, and MWF, of course.

Regards,

Janus
Dryness is a major symptom of sensitive skin, according to what I have read. Canned goo can be drying, but your MWF should definitely help with that. :D
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've noticed that a number of posters with sensitive skin have an immediate change for the better by switching to single blade shaving.
Regards,
Squire