Things learned

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
gruffydd63

Things learned

Post by gruffydd63 »

I have taken, for various reasons, quite a sabbatical from this forum. I have not stopped learning during this time however. I have finally mastered, I think :D , the art of generating lather in a bowl and after being an advocate of face lathering I now use a bowl almost exclusively. Along with lathering in a bowl, or maybe because of it, I have also gotten much better shaves from my soaps (C&E Sienna and Almond Oil, VDH Delux and Tabac). I have also used my Merkur Classic and HD almost exclusively and when I do go back to my Fatboy or slim adjustable I find them somewhat unsatisfactory. I almost have to re-learn the correct technique but then when I go back to the Merkurs it is like falling off a log.

I have also just finished reading Gareth's topic "I feel guilty" and I have to admit that I have not added to my supply during this time except to get 10 packs of Swedish Gillettes. I am, however, considering buying a Rooney brush as a Father's Day present for myself. :lol:
Dick
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Dick,

Can you describe the differences you have found between your Merkur's and Gillette's.

I go between my HD and Tech and find that both are good shavers that require correct technique to get a good shave. If I shave poorly with my HD I get some irritation, with my Tech I get a poor shave with lots of left over stubble. Presently I am very content to use these two razors for a very long time.

Cheers,

Gary
gruffydd63

Things learned

Post by gruffydd63 »

Gary,

I still get good shaves from the Gillettes. I just find them less forgiving than the Merkur. It may just be that the correct blade angle is different between the two types and I have gotten accustomed to the Merkur's. It seems to me that having the correct angle is much more critical with the Gillettes. I will say that if I get irritation it is from the Gillette shave.

I know this probably doesn't help you but maybe it is just a case of YMMV and my face is more suited to the Merkur.
Dick
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: Things learned

Post by notthesharpest »

gruffydd63 wrote:Gary,

I still get good shaves from the Gillettes. I just find them less forgiving than the Merkur. It may just be that the correct blade angle is different between the two types and I have gotten accustomed to the Merkur's. It seems to me that having the correct angle is much more critical with the Gillettes. I will say that if I get irritation it is from the Gillette shave.

I know this probably doesn't help you but maybe it is just a case of YMMV and my face is more suited to the Merkur.
... or, more likely, your habits. I am the same - can shave with a Gillette, but it takes work.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I have to admit to a growing appreciation of my Tech, especially with a "top grade" blade. It has given me great shaves with a Swede, Wilkinson Classic White and Treet Blue Special. It's like a sports car versus the Mercedes Benz Merkur.

As always - all results will vary, regards,

Gary