Best Cream Or Soap To Compliment Leather Colognes?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Craig_From_Cincy

Best Cream Or Soap To Compliment Leather Colognes?

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Many of us yearn for a Trumpers Spanish Leather soap or cream, but unfortunately there is no such product to be found. So I was wondering, what is a good cream or soap choice to compliments a leather scent such as Trumper's Spanish Leather, Creed's Royal English Leather, Knize 10 or Cuir de Russie? I know that Knize makes a shave soap, but it has received nothing but poor reviews.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Craig
Cheers,

Craig
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

For me Harris Almond is an excellent match. On the other hand I've used a lot of Trumpers Spanish Leather over the years and it covers up most soaps nicely.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, Well, on one level, it hardly matters because the scent of the shave product is going to fade away quickly in any case ( unless you have a goatee or moustache and get sloppy, which I sometimes do ). But I suppose you could say, "even if it doesn't last, what about the experiance itself?...". In that case, nothing 'goes with' Spanish Leather quite as well as Trumpers Sandalwood hard shaving soap. Very much up the same alley. Also Rose, especially Trumpers Rose soap. And any of the Almond creams or soaps....but then again, they 'go with' anything ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Craig, to my nose, any milder sandalwood soap would complement GFT Spanish Leather nicely. To me, any non-floral soap (e.g., almond, sandalwood, etc.) would probably work well with Trumper Spanish Leather.
Lynn
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I agree that sandalwoods work well with Spanish Leather, but I want to second and third Gordon's Trumper's Rose recommendation. The rose note in Spanish Leather is quite apparent when you've just finished shaving with rose soap. It would probably be my first choice.

Tabac and MWF both work well, too: Tabac's a bit richer and has more scent, but MWF has little hints of patchouli. Finally, a dark horse is Arko. I really like this soap's performance, and it is both a classic barbershop type of soap scent and slightly leathery.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
dmikel

Post by dmikel »

I think J Peterman's 1903 Cream would sit nicely under it.
Mikel
Wisdom and goodness to the vile seem vile;
Filths savour but themselves.
William Shakespeare
drumana

Post by drumana »

I'll second the MWF, Tabac and GFT Sandalwood SS
-Andrew-
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

My choice would be Taylor's Sandalwood old stock. That is what I use with Creed's Leather. Alas, I have about twenty shaves worth left of the good ol' stuff.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

My God!.....it's John!.....imagine that ( chuckle ). Actually, John, not to worry. The most recent Taylors I've seen, including the pot I have, seems mostly to be almost as good as the old stuff. You should be okay.
Regards,
Gordon
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I've never used the old Taylor creams, but the three new ones I've gotten in the last couple months are the densest creams I've ever seen (save for Castle Forbes). The rose in particular is dense and lacking any sheen. And the scent is fantastic. I can't wait to use it. :)

Now that it's been mentioned, yes, Taylor sandalwood soap or cream would be a fine choice: the scent has a rose note in it and a similar "old money" (I think it was Gordon who mentioned this w/r/t TOBS cologne) vibe to that in Trumper Spanish Leather.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
chickpea

Post by chickpea »

I discovered a lovely little cream in Brazil. It's Nivea (I don't know if it's sold in any other markets, but I pick up a tube every year when I go). It has a lovely sandalwood, tabbacco scent that would work well with leather colognes.

Despite being somewhat "mainstream" in terms of its branding it is a highly moisturizing and spicey/woody addition to my barbiage. I use it as a travel cream rather than lug a mug and SS around with me.