5th International Shaving Collectibles Meeting

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
quailrunner

5th International Shaving Collectibles Meeting

Post by quailrunner »

Hi,

The 5th International Shaving Collectibles Meeting will be held this year in West Chester, Ohio, just north of Cincinnati, on October 18-19. It is dedicated to collectors of all shaving memorabilia, including safety razors, straight razors, shaving mugs, blade banks, stroppers, advertising, razor blades, and more.

Attendees sell, swap, buy, hear selected short talks, and speak to others who share their passion for collecting. This year's meeting will give emphasis to the collecting of vintage razors from the 50s and 60s, such as the Gillettes and Schicks. In addition there will be a talk on the AutoStrop Razors and the Rolls Razors.

If you would like more info about the meeting, please click on the link below or contact me at quailrunner@cinci.rr.com

Jerry Rosenthal (alias eBay user - banjophd)

http://home.cinci.rr.com/jrosenthal/ShavMtg5.html
[/img]
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Thank you for the notice. I hope a few of our members here get a chance to go to this.
quailrunner

Post by quailrunner »

Thanks Pauldog. Unfortunately, the meeting is one of the best kept secrets around. I'm trying to change that. The people who come to the meeting are amazed at the shaving items on display. They are ones that they have never heard about or have heard about but never seen. Its comparable to a kid being turned loose in a candy shop. I hope more people will be interested and attend.

Jerry
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Welcome aboard Jerry. Are there meetings at other times of the year? I'm already committed for that time in October.
Regards,
Squire
cutting_edge

Post by cutting_edge »

This is a great opportunity to get to know fellow collectors and to learn much more about the stuff that you like and beyond. Let alone a chance to do some good trading. Highly recommended. I attended the last two meetings, and this year will be no different. 8)
quailrunner

Post by quailrunner »

Hi Squire,

Thanks for the welcome. This particular meeting has been held in October for the last 4 years. Those who attend have indicated their preference for this time in October. It seems to be a good time for most people, since it is after school has started and early enough not to conflict with the Thanksgiving Day holiday. Perhaps you'll be able to attend next year.

Regards,

Jerry
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh, it's a good time, I agree, just this year it conflicts with the opening of Pheasant season in South Dakota.
Regards,
Squire
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

Welcome Jerry and thank you for the invitation/notice.

I'm planning a trip back home this fall (airline prices willing).

This would be a great side trip. I'll bookmark the link and put it on my calendar.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I looked through the old meetings and am curious to know why the top secret....it looks really cool.

I love stuff like this:
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/quailrunner/ ... 23_001.jpg

Poor Squire would have to give up law in order to keep up with the reviews of these:

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/quailrunner/ ... 14_001.jpg

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
cutting_edge

Post by cutting_edge »

There usually is some very very nice stuff that people put up for display. I lik ethe presentation part of it as well, there are always several oral presentations on specifc topics/collections.
quailrunner

Post by quailrunner »

The special registration fee of $64.95 for the meeting is only available for the next few weeks, until July 31. If you are contemplating going to the meeting, you might consider registering soon.

Jerry
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

If any other SMF members are planning to attend the show, I would like to catch a meal or at least share a drink with you. Also, as Cincinnati is my home, please PM me if you would like a recommendation for a hotel, restaurant, any local attractions (like Kings Island, the Newport Aquarium, etc), directions or if would like to visit a great local barber while you are here.

Cheers,

Craig
Cheers,

Craig
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Jerry, are you saying it costs $65 to walk in the door? If I were able to attend I wouldn't need a vendor's table.
Regards,
Squire
quailrunner

Post by quailrunner »

Hi Squire,

You are right - $65 to walk in the door which includes the entire meeting, lunch and brunch on Saturday and Sunday, respectively, and all coffee and refreshment breaks. Table or Tables for display or for sale items are at no additional cost. In addition, there are goodie bags for all participants and door prizes to be given away. Not a bad deal!

Jerry
merkur07

Post by merkur07 »

If this were ever to come west, I would so be there. My mouth is watering.

Sometimes it pays to live in the Midwest. :wink:
Robert
--------------------
Razors: Cobra, Futur, '59 Fatboy,Gem G-bar,Slant
Blades: Feather ProGuard/Polsilver/Trig Silver Edge
Brush: Merkur Silver Tip
Shaving Creams: Proraso Red and 50+ others
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

if it came east I would go too. $65 here doesn't even buy you a kiss :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
quailrunner

Post by quailrunner »

Before I organized this meeting several years ago, I had difficulty even showing my collection to my next door neighbor. After about 10 minutes of razor talk, his eyes would glaze over. After that, I may as well have been talking to my dogs. I really don't think his mind was even on this planet. I looked for anyone who might share my interests. As a result, the mailman doesn't like to deliver mail to my house anymore. I guess it's fear of being invited in to see my collection. My kids, when they lived at home, would offer to listen to my razor talk for very short periods of time during my birthday and father's day. Such good kids!

During the first shaving collectibles meeting, I was amazed that I could talk at length with anyone present about razors and stroppers and they were genuinely interested. They weren't pretending. They understood the language I was speaking.

At the meetings, we've had discussions on the best way to clean razors, what determines the value of shaving items, what determines the value of straight razors, the history of blade banks, etc. A great many of the people who attend have many years of experience collecting and a great deal of knowledge. It's really fun to pick their brains.

So, once a year, I'm in heaven. I get to talk to people about my hobby and they reciprocate. I buy items for my collection. And best of all, I've made good friends who I communicate with during the year. It's just a great meeting.

Jerry :D