[Poll] What brought you here originally?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.

What brought you here in the first plance: pain or pleasure?

I always hated shaving and wanted to find a better way.
53%
I always enjoyed shaving and wanted to up my game.
30%
Stumbled upon SMF while bored
16%

Total votes: 105

Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

[Poll] What brought you here originally?

Post by Bargepole »

Newbie Harry raised an interesting point. Said he'd found this place because someone gave him a good shaving brush etc. and after 40 years of hating shaving, he decided to find out if it could be a pleasure.

Now, of course, he can't wait for his bristles to grow so he can shave again. In other words, Harry has become, depending on your point of view, (a) a hopeless creature of the twilight who only lives to shave or (b) a sort of Zen master who finds delight and enlightenment in one of life's daily and humble tasks.

So seems like a good idea for a poll. Did you come here because you hated shaving and wanted to find a better way, or because you'd always enjoyed it and wanted to increase your enjoyment and up your game?

Me: definitely the latter. Always liked it, partly because of the experience itself -- the kit, the smells, the feeling of clean -- and partly because it meant, when I was 13 or so, that I had become a Man.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

i was actually looking for cheap single edge blades in bulk. i was already a DE/SE shaver since 99.

now i cant go an hour without coming to this damn place...

boll-ocks
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I'm in the "hated it" category. I was suffering through awful, awful shaves -- so bad my co-workers were telling me to go to the doctor.

In truth, all I needed was a change of equipment.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I never gave shaving a second thought - or a first thought as far as I can remember. Goop, Sensor, one pass, crappy shave, on to the next thing. I got a Mach 3 in the mail and found it inferior to the Sensor Excel. I suppose that was a small thought process.

I saw a mention of "wetshaving" on a forum about wristwatches, followed a couple of links and found myself here.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

I was bored one night at home and somehow ended up on Corey's shaveblog.The rest is history...one of the more enjoyable things that has happened to me in recent years.I really enjoy the wetshaving and the people I've met here. :)
Bob
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I had already re-discovered DE shaving, was using a brush with Proraso, Musgo Real and the Conk family of soaps and was wondering if I was the only one doing so. After some searching on the net and finding a few other shaving sites as well--ended up here.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Zach

Post by Zach »

I had been wet shaving for almost 25 years. I was looking for information on anyone who did restoration of old razors. Charlie (Gatorade) offered to fix mine up for free; I was not aware of the nature of the forum and felt odd (I am a NYer, forgive me) to accept such charity; at the time of course I did not know it was 'kindness' and not charity. I didn't send him my old razors, but I did stick around.
Thanks, Charlie, again.
IanM

Post by IanM »

I was bored/frustrated with shaving, and wanted to find (if possible) a better way.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
goose

Post by goose »

I always liked to shave, but wanted to find a better way to do it. I had used a Sensor and Mach III and combated my razor bumps by using Aveeno Sensitive Gel. I had to shave every other day if I wanted to prevent my face from getting torn to shreds. I thought there had to be a better way, so I started searching around on the Internet and read Corey's article about the virtues of wet shaving. I then remembered my father had a safety razor when I was growing up. When I asked him about it, he went ahead and gave it to me because he uses an Electric these days. It turned out to be a Slim Adjustable. I then picked up a brush at Crabtree and Evelyn, and some Proraso at Target and I was hooked.

Clint
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, I was at the group called Wetshavers, and then one day, and this is just after I found that place, it was no more. Then it got resurrected as The Wetshavers, but a few days later, Wetshavers was back up. So we had two boards, and then ........ Probably same story as Gordon, Chris Moss, Vince, etc.
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

meh. same ol' story about the torn up face and neck, especially the neck. I decided that I didn't want to have a full bear all of the time, that with my beard growth, I'd like to be able to play around with, experiment, do what I want with it. So I started lookin' around online and found this place as a phenomenal resource on shaving, not too mention all things related to men's grooming if you just ask. Now I have the freedom to actually shave what I want, when I want, and not worry about devastating my face, which gives me the freedom I was looking for. I usually have some facial hair, but it changes no less than every few weeks, except on occasion when I decide to see what a longer version looks like. That was one beautiful, massive goatee...
bbsupersport

Post by bbsupersport »

Great thread idea!
I wouldn't say that I hated shaving, but I didn't enjoy it either. I was using a Mach3 and my son gave me a Fusion razor. I was searching for cheaper blades, when I stumbled onto this forum. I thought it was kind of weird, but I started reading some of the posts. I was curious and joined the group and asked a couple of questions, next thing I know someone (Steve-o) is offering me a razor, blades and sample creams to try...for free. I was astounded by the generosity and accepted the offer. Now, I am hooked and enjoying not only the whole ritual but also the friendly, helpful and kind people here at SMF. Thanks to all!
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

I found the forum after initially browsing the internet looking for a source of cheaper cartridges having become increasingly outraged at the prices. Increasingly seduced by advertising the appearance of the Fusion brought me to my senses and I had started going backwards to the Sensor. To my astonishment I found that the traditional safety razor still existed and so did the blades. I was soon to discover that my last proper razor was called the Sticky and that I had mislaid it and lost a fortune...

John
hookem11

Post by hookem11 »

Bored with the daily chore. Goop and Mach3. Stumbled on a wetshaving link somewhere and decided it looked interesting. Also, a little bit of nostalgia. I remembered my late father DE, Mug & brush when I was a kid
Regards,
Al
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I found the predecessor boards through a link from either a watch or pen collectors group.

When I landed I believe my first post was along the line of I thought I was the last guy building lather with a brush, soap and wiping off the whiskers with a traditional razor. Seemed to be an interesting bunch and I have been around since.
Regards,
Squire
drumana

Post by drumana »

I wound up here because after starting my own business, I finally figured it would be wise to be clean shaven on a regular basis. Problem was, my face did not like the Mach 3 experience. Horrible razor burn on the neck. I wound up trying traditional wetshaving so I could get decent shaves... to my surprise, I really starting to like shaving. Didn't see that one coming.
-Andrew-
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Hmm...it must have been late November or early December 2007. I was laid up with a broken ankle/leg from one of my off-road motorcycle forays and was surfing the web looking for some sources for cream or soap...can't remember. Or maybe I had just run out of things to google and resorted to shaving, for heaven's sake.

I've been wet shaving for 30-35 years, using a brush for most of that time. Prior to stumbling onto SMF, most of my shaving stuff came from Walgreens, C&E and Green Pond. I survived with "only" three or four brushes: my grandfather's EverReady, an old Colonel Conk, a C&E and, in the early to mid 90s, I sprung for a high falutin Trumper brush. Most of my wet shaving was done with cartridge razors, most recently a Sensor and Trumper-handled Mach 3. When I first saw the "Shave of the Day" posts I thought: "You've got to be kidding...shave of the day?!" Now, I find myself right there in the fray.

I've also acquired those soaps and creams I was looking for last November while bed ridden...and a few brushes and colognes...and, uh.... we'd better just leave it there...
Lynn
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Most if not all the store around my house stopped carring the Gillette sensor blades so I said hmm, wonder if I can still buy a double edge razor? Found this forum...
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I don't recall exactly but I think it might have been Google.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Well, I couldn't stand shaving, had endless ingrowns and looked forward to every opportunity not to shave. One of my bosses recommended that I try Pre de Provence soap, so I got a tin and a boar brush. Not having a clue how to use, I hit Google, found Corey's article and SMF and B&B. I lurked, I read, I practiced and now can't have a good day if I don't shave. And it's y'alls damned fault.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy