Tabac

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
mchin_5000

Tabac

Post by mchin_5000 »

I tried searching through the diffrent topics and it looks like it may take awhile. Can anyone advise if they have used Tabac Cologne and if so what are their likes and dislikes about this brand. I'm thinking of purchasing a bottle as a cologne. Thanks for any advise.
"What we do in life echoes in Eternity"
Zach

Post by Zach »

Tabac cologne smells just like the after shave but lasts longer; the after shave is a faithful reproduction of the soap. My wife loves this scent above all others. It comes in a big botttle, so it's a lot more cologne than many other for the same price, however, it does take up a lot of room in your cabinet. The smell of Tabac is best described by Jim (TorzJohnson) here.
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

Zach, thanks for digging up that old post. Even though Tabac is German and my description is Anglophilic, that's exactly the mood the fragrance evokes. I've never tried the cologne but I do use the aftershave and it is probably my all-time favorite.
Jim

Zach

Post by Zach »

Jim, your description was dead-on, well written, and therefore memorable; for a henchman, you nailed it!
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Personally, I smell a difference between the Cologne and Aftershave.

The Cologne smells exactly like the soap to me.
atrac

Post by atrac »

And then there's the EDT, which smells nothing like the Cologne or the After Shave.

The EDT reminds me of the smell of a freshly opened package of Fruity Lifesavers.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Vinny, I started thinking about your post.
To me, when you smell the bottles, the smell of the AS vs. the cologne is very, very similar. However, I did an eyes closed test this morning, and I could tell a difference. The cologne is slightly stronger and has a more 'perfumey' kind of scent, not as smooth as the aftershave. It's the same scent, but stronger, and it does last longer. I prefer the scent of the aftershave over the cologne, FWIW. I have never tried the EDT.
smooth_&_slick

Post by smooth_&_slick »

The Shaving Tube, the Shaving Soap the After shave, the Eau de cologne , the shower gel, all match up and smell the same with the EDC being somewhat stronger to last longer.

The Deodarant Spray or Stick are not a real perfect match, but I find they match better with the Eau de Toilette.

As the other gentleman said the Eau de Toilette does not smell like the above products, very diffrent, reminds me of old Paco Raban from the mid 80's. It actually smells very good in the winter and fall time, I found it too heavy for the summer.

Hope this helps.
Climb14er

Post by Climb14er »

It's good to see that people talk about Tabac from time to time.

After having worn first class colognes for decades, I came to Tabac about seven years ago and it's my only cologne I wear day to day, season to season.

I've also found the shaving soap to be the finest soap for the dollar I've ever experienced. Some do not like the soap's fragrance but I find it A-OK and the shave quality I obtain is better than most English soaps and creams costing three to four times the price. Plus, the soap last, lasts and lasts!

The Tabac stick deodorant has replaced the Lagerfeld stick I used for over thirty years... it's effective, not harsh on the skin and very reasonably priced.

I prefer the Tabac cologne to the EDT by 100-1 and if you heard the positive comments by the women I've dated and just been around, they absolutely LOVE the fragrance of Tabac Cologne.

Granted, colognes and EDT's need to be complimentary with the skin and oils of the person wearing it. Having said that, Tabac is my SOLO choice as it's relatively inexpensive, long lasting, an alive fragrance and one that keeps me smelling great... to the women of the world, of course. :wink:
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Howdy de do, Jerry. Long time no see.
Regards,
Gordon
Climb14er

Post by Climb14er »

Hi Gordon...

I 'ran into' Sam in another forum and it reminded me that I haven't posted here in quite some time.

Things appear to be flowing well here on this forum!

I trust that you are well.

Best, Jerry
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Yeah, I saw Jerry over at Runnersworld. I took up running about a year ago, and got up to 8 miles as my longest run, and then around January, gave out. I tend to get a little sore knee every now and then, thinking it might be a tinge of arthritis, but after running, seems to be doing well. Went for 5 miles today in one hour, so I think by the end of the month, Ill get back to 8 miles and then I got all of November to get up to a half mary distance.
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

Okay, BullGoose had some on sale and I had some "spare" money, so I bought myself a bottle of Tabac EDC. . .

Why did I never try this stuff before!?

This is certainly going into daily rotation. I love the scent, though I'll have to be careful as I swear it got more potent in the half hour after I put some on.
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
brothers

Post by brothers »

funkthulhu wrote:Okay, BullGoose had some on sale and I had some "spare" money, so I bought myself a bottle of Tabac EDC. . .

Why did I never try this stuff before!?

This is certainly going into daily rotation. I love the scent, though I'll have to be careful as I swear it got more potent in the half hour after I put some on.
Well, now you've got me interested, after reading through this thread. That's another item for my Bullgoose wish list.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

Addendum:

Saw the significant other briefly this evening. She immediately asked what I was wearing. . . and "You smell like lonely old-fucker."

There was then a discussion on my preferred AS/Colognes and she basically said she doesn't like anything I've ever bought for myself. Also, that the Tabac was "almost as bad as Old Spice", "You smell like someone's Dad", and "Don't wear that again until I'm dead or you're at least 50" (I'm 33 now)

Then again, this is the woman who bought me a little spritzer of Calvin Klein's Crave.

I give up.

F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Funk, you need to buy/trade for a bottle of Taylor#74 "Original" cologne ,and lay that on her, as soon as you can. Just sayin.....

Best,
Fitch
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sounds familiar. One time she says, oh, that smells nice. A few weeks later she says what is that aftershave, I don't like it! I just don't say anything. If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy, especially me!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SliceOfLife

Post by SliceOfLife »

Man, I'd BATH with Tabac if the soap smelled like that description.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Funk, Well, personally, I don't like Tabac but regardless, I still always have advised gents here ( usually 'younger' gents ) to wear quality and let the SO adjust. As her choice of that dreadful Calvin Klein stuff suggests, most American women under a certain age have NEVER smelled quality perfumery in their lives....all they know is that dreadful synthetic industrial fuel crap that they sell in dept. stores. They've usually never smelled quality WOMEN'S perfumery either. So, anything that is actually well made and real quality will smell 'weird' and 'old manish' to them, at least at first. But given time, some of our member's younger SOs have come to appreciate at least some of the better men's scents. Personally, I would never wear a scent I disliked even if my wife loved it. Fortunately that has rarely been the case....she has good taste...even if she could not abide Blenheim Bouquet.
Regards,
Gordon
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

I will add at this point that my significant other is a few years my senior, at 49.

So when she says I smell like her dad, she means I smell like an 80 year old farmer. . .