Come on, really? 360 degree surround from 1 speaker?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rob

Come on, really? 360 degree surround from 1 speaker?

Post by Rob »

I'm in the market for a new surround system and I came across this oddity from Polk Audio. Is this for real? Complete surround sound all from one speaker? Set me straight, audiophiles.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... =4&tp=6419
wytstang

Post by wytstang »

No way can 1 speaker play bass/mids/highs as well as separate components. It is impossible for it to play it well (good for most but not for those wanting to really hear EVERYTHING). This is my pick for a home theater in a box http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3759.asp
My main reason for picking Denons HTIAB is it lets you upgrade to what ever you want. Look at the back of the PolkAudio receiver then look at the back of the Denon. You tell me which one gives you more freedom at half the price. If you really want in depth info on home theater check out avsforum.com. It IS the mecca of home audio.

EDIT: Heres a discussion on it
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1066033
Learning....
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

Sound bars can work pretty well if they are set up correctly. Yamaha makes a particularly nice one. You will not get the same quality that you get with less expensive, separate speakers that are positioned correctly. What the premium price gets you is the freedom that comes with having only one speaker. That will let you have a room that is less cluttered and the WAF comes along with that.
Mike
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

Looks like that "1 speaker" actually has at least 7 drivers in it. Check out:
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/surr ... atures.php
John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

MrSmooth wrote:Looks like that "1 speaker" actually has at least 7 drivers in it. Check out:
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/surr ... atures.php
Personally, I think component vs single solutions are always better, however I can see this working where space is limited, or where you can't run wires. My bigger worry would be how to get real bass punch without a dedicated sub-woofer.

As a side note -- I have older pair of Polk Audio R50 speakers, as my front L & R speakers in our home theatre set-up, and let me tell you that are unbelievably good. Nevertheless, you still need a good sub to get real punch from surround sound and effects.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Rob, something to consider is what will you be listening to. When I lived in Charlotte I had Tweeter come in and install a surround sound system to the tune of 5K dollars. It was a total waste of money. I watched a few movies and I listen to country music. I could have heard the same tones with a much smaller and cheaper system. When I moved I gave it all to my daughter. Here in Deep Run we have two speakers and it sounds just as good.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the info, fellers. I didn't think this speaker bar was "all that". It just didn't make sense. I wasn't think of buying it, it's way out of my price range--I just saw it and was quite intrigued.

Tony, do not worry, I am not going to have a $5K professional install. I'm no audiophile and speakers and systems all sound the same to me once I have got the equalizers set. I'm planning on getting a system in the $300-$500 range. It's for my computer since I don't have a TV anymore. Nor a DVD player. I do all of my audio/video entertainment through my PC.
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Rob,

You may want to check out this excellent system by Focal. They are a French manufacturer of superb speakers:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/review ... od-system/

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I ended up opting for a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 THX/Dolby/DTS system that ran me about $250. So far so good. It's exactly what I need for my PC. Installation was painless and it sounds wonderful. I didn't realize the sub was so huge! Geez it's big. I'll go high-dollar when I build a true home theater in a few years after I get a house.
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Rob, it looks like you'll be rockin' with that set up. That's a lot of speaker for a PC and you should have many hours of enjoyment in the coming months.

Enjoy your new gear! (gee, and it has nothing to do with shaving :lol:)

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
jtoddaz

Post by jtoddaz »

There are 8 drivers in that one speaker. It will work similar to a 321 from Bose. It is meant for a small/medium sized room in which you have 2 side walls and a back wall. I'm pretty sure some of the drivers are meant to bounce sound off the side walls and then rear wall to give you the effect of full surround. It wouldn't work real well in a "great room" type of setting. Too much dispersion.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Oh believe me, this setup can really thump. I've had to tone down the sub a lot so that I don't disturb the other tenants in my apartment complex. I can't wait until I get a house! The thing that bothers me with this system was the warranty. It's a measly 2 years. But even some of the high-end systems I was looking at fared no better. The best I saw was 3 years, but I would have had to pay at minimum $700 for that. It seems to me manufacturers know their stuff just isn't good these days so they won't write up long-term warranties. That really bothers me.

The whole reason I bought this system was to replace a Creative Labs GD850 system that died on me. Heck, it was barely 4 years old! And well out of warranty, of course. Oh the words I grumble under my breath about it...even George Carlin would say, "Whoa there Tex! Take it easy!"