Brand new black leather oxfords

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
tone

Brand new black leather oxfords

Post by tone »

I bought myself a lovely pair of new shoes on the weekend and as much as I want to keep them as they are I know I want to wear them outside eventually!

Now I am well versed on cleaning/shining worn in shoes but have been investigating what to do with a brand new pair.

I have read differing accounts about waxing the soles, heels, not doing anything until they are broken in, polish them for a week beforehand etc etc.

Is there anything solid I should do as a lot of online stuff is confusing?

Thanks in advance

Tone
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

I am certain that some one or more list members will be able to answer your question. However, you are aware that this is a list dedicated to wet shaving, aren't you?

Buzz
tone

Post by tone »

Is shavemyface.com really about shaving? I never knew... :)

There are countless subjects on here about other gentlemanly past times/grooming and I hope this isn't out of place amongst the others.
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

tone wrote:Is shavemyface.com really about shaving? I never knew... :)

There are countless subjects on here about other gentlemanly past times/grooming and I hope this isn't out of place amongst the others.
Yes, it is out of place when posted in the General Forum. These types of threads belong in the Gentlemen's Parlor.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
tone

Post by tone »

Thank you to whoever moved it. Sorry.

Now, back to the hints and tips :)

Tone
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

tone wrote:Thank you to whoever moved it. Sorry.
You're welcome.
tone wrote:Now, back to the hints and tips :)
I don't see any harm in treating the shoes right out of the box, with either a shoe cream or wax polish. I like to use edge dressing on the sides of the soles and would not treat the bottom of the soles. As to what's better, cream or polish, that is a debate that will not likely be resolved here. IMO creams are designed more to condition the leather whereas wax pastes give more sheen to the leather. You can start with cream and finish with wax if you want. A nylon stocking stuffed with an old rag makes an excellent buffing tool. Other tips: do not wear the same pair of shoes on consecutive days; insert cedar shoe trees after every use; do not let any dirt sit on the leather for an extended length of time as this will draw oils out of the leather leading to its premature deterioration.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
rgc

Post by rgc »

Personally, I use cream on all my shoes and forego the wax. Wax is good for a layer of protection and shine (especially in wet climates), however, I have a pair to wear on rainy days. I also prefer more of a glow to my shoes rather than a high shine that wax can give. As Ren stated, the cream is made to soak in to the leather and nourish it. I also whole heartedly agree with never wearing the same pair two days in a row, giving them a gentle brushing at the end of the day to remove dirt and always using shoe trees. If you invest in a high quality shoes and take care of them, they will last for decades.

Dick
cop

Post by cop »

Before you use new leather shoes: Apply shoe cream with a brush - apply some more than you would do normally when shining them. Let it sit for a couple of hours and polish with a cloth (old bed sheet or something like that made of cotton). Ready to go! (or walk...).
Leather soles: are not water proof no matter what you treat them with...wet socks are part of the fun :-)
Regards
cop
Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition...
rgc

Post by rgc »

Hey Tone, what make of shoes did you get?
tone

Post by tone »

nothing too special, a pair from Marks and spencers perfect range.

They are lovely though.

I went for some cream to soak in and i'm gonna give em a buffing tomorrow morning before work.

Tone
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

By using decent shoe trees and rotating your footwear you will receive many years of use from a good pair of shoes.

I have a couple pair of Allen Edmonds that are a good twenty years old and still appear as if new. Granted, they have been re-soled and healed but that is cheap when compared to replacing a pair of expensive shoes.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin