Is DE truly better than modern Cartridge?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
dawgvet

Is DE truly better than modern Cartridge?

Post by dawgvet »

Does DE shaving truly give you (personally) a better shave compared to the modern cartridges (Mach3, Quattro, etc.) or do you like DE shaving for other reasons? Just curious as I was attracted to DE shaving by wanting to learn to use my Granddad's old razor, liked the idea of a little pampering process, trying to find "the combo" for my face, and the challenge of acquiring a new skill. I have yet to duplicate the quality of the shave I was getting with a Mach 3 and gel in the can. Just curious!
Thanks
gone down south

Post by gone down south »

I get more benefit from good technique and prep. DE's won out over cartridges for cost and coolness factors, in my particular case the shaves are about the same.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

When you fiqure in overall cost of blades, closeness and comfort of shaves, the different creams and soaps available, and the pure enjoyment of shaving, the DE wins hands down.
Regards,
David
PACHUCO

Post by PACHUCO »

I find I do receive a great shave with a DE, much better than any cartridge razor I've used. The coolness factor is just an added bonus. :D

Serg
ateace

Post by ateace »

I liked the low cost factor as well as the cool retro factor to DE shaving. Getting off the cartridge treadmill also means that I have the freedom to try the many different razors and blades out there.

Now that I have my technique down, I'm getting better shaves w/ DE than I did with a Sensor.
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

DEs won hands down for me too. The biggest reason is that I don't get razorburn or ingrown hairs with a DE, but every cartridge on the market tears my face up.

Add to the above the cheapness of blades, amazing scents of the creams and soaps, the variety, the pampering, the enjoyment, the coolness of the old way, the vintage tools.....the goes on and on.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I've been traditional wetshaving again for about 15 months. I gave the Fusion a run about a month ago and found that using the same prep, same cream, same A/S that I do with my DE or SE that I got a very nice shave. Only had to do two passes not 4.

While the save was very good it was not fun. I get such a kick out of using a DE razor which is what I learned to shave with. Especially the older 3 piece models like the Gillette Tech and Gillette NEWs.

I get an even better high from using on of the GEM or ER SE razor that I own. Especially the lather catcher style razors.

When I figure the cost of DE/SE versus the cartridge I guess the former are less but the initial start up costs are quite a bit more if bitten by an AD.

Over all though I think a guy has to use what works the best for him. And I mean the quality of the shave as well as the enjoyment of the shave.

Nothing at all wrong with you using the cartridge and the canned goo if you like it and it gets the job done to your satisfaction.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

I think I get a great shave with a Double Edged "Safety" razor.
A pretty good shave with a Bic and I used to like a number of Twin-blades as well.

For me it's not about pampering or tradition or even about getting an exceptional shave.

Mostly I'm just stubborn - I started shaving with my Dad's safety razor when I was 15 or 16 now I'm in my forties and I'm still shaving with a safety razor. Damned if'n I can see any reason to change.
I'm also contrary - and cynical - Gillette can tell me as often as they like that their latest shaving system is the greatest thing since Sex and or Salmon fishing and even a pretty good shave but:
1. I don't believe them.
2. I don't care.
3. If modern razors are so good why do they need to vibrate?
4. I'm cheap.

I dislike tatty things too and modern cartridge razors are plastic pieces of junk.

However, what Bryce said is perfectly true.
Will

If it's smokin' it's cookin', when it's black it's done.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi dawgvet, and if i having welcomed you to smf, let it be known. welcome to smf

there are many reasons why people choose de shaving over cartridge shaving. in no certain order many come to this side of the street because of cost, the coolness factor, the side effects that cartridge razor
may have on some people, and on and on and on

even though de shaing products are hard to find in the neighborhood drug store and supermarket (and what you may find is below quality) there are more products to choose from than cartridge products.

once you are settled in with a razor and blades and soap and a brush
you are good to go for years with out replacing anything. and blades are cheap compared to any cartridge blade

of course (like many or most of us here) you may want to get a collection of gears and products just because .........

when all the smoke has cleared, you can get a great shaving either way you choose. there is hardley any learning factor to shave with a multiblade and there is with a de. many that shave with multiblades do it as a chore and with a de it a pleasure and 15 minutes of your day thats totally yours.

more the most part there is no personal connection using a multiblade razor and goo in a can. but with a de.... you become one with your razor.
its your buddy for years, maybe more. imagine every day i shave with your fathers razor or maybe your grandfathers razor. and your son may get your razor someday. everyday you get to face your gear and choose what scent you want to experience today. what brush to use. what blade and razor.

what a way to start the day. then just when you think its all over, you get to sit down and enjoy a cup of freshly brewed coffee

its special i tell ya

marc
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

PACHUCO wrote:I find I do receive a great shave with a DE, much better than any cartridge razor I've used. The coolness factor is just an added bonus. :D

Serg
+1 absolutely miles better for me.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Better shave and all the stuff marc said.
Regards,
Squire
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

DE is only gives a marginally better shave, but it's far more enjoyable. Biggest difference in my shave comes from using a brush and real shave soap or cream. I still have a few Mach 3's for travel and they still give a decent shave when I need to use one.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

More than half of the DE blades I have tried have given me an obviously better shave than the multi-blade cartridge razor I was using prior to making the switch, the Schick Xtreme3.

Without going into the many details, I'll just say that I know for sure that I would not be interested in a forum where everybody talked about multi-blade cartridges and canned goo the way we talk about razors, blades, brushes and soaps!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

dawgvet,

I am going to disagree with many here on the board -- I get a much closer shave with a multiblade razor than I do with a DE...but that is the problem. For me, a shave CAN be too close, causing irritation and ingrowns.

With a DE, I can get a nearly smooth shave that lasts quite a while without a drop of irritation afterward -- no red skin, no blotches, no ingrowns, just smooth, blemish-free skin.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

all i can add is this: with a gillette mach3 i shaved 2 times a week. now i shave everyday and look forward to it.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
drumana

Re: Is DE truly better than modern Cartridge?

Post by drumana »

dawgvet wrote:Does DE shaving truly give you (personally) a better shave compared to the modern cartridges (Mach3, Quattro, etc.) or do you like DE shaving for other reasons?
Yes, DE shaving gives me a better shave than with cartridges (single or multiple blade). I got into using a DE just so I could get a good shave without razor burn and irritation on my neck. Subsequently, I started to really enjoy shaving - the nice soaps and creams, face lathering with a brush and getting great shaves of course! It's become a really nice morning ritual for me...
-Andrew-
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

+1 to what everyone else said already.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gone Troppo

Post by Gone Troppo »

Learned to shave with a DE back when you could buy a new one in a drugstore, switched to cartridges when they became common, and went back to DE about 3 years ago. Having been around the block, I can say the only advantage I could find with a disposable was speed. So yes, my shaves w/a DE are better, not to mention my morning ritual is a bit calmer and more enjoyable.
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

The DE shaves were better 35 years ago when I first changed and started using something else. The reasons I changed had more to do with convenience than getting better shaves, and I tried about everything new that came on the market. I finally went back to the DE after realizing I got snookered by cartridges which kept adding blades and raising prices without any significant increase in effectiveness. I do think that most cartridges might give a closer first pass, only because of the number of blades and extreme aggressive angle of the blades, but you pay for it with razor burn and ingrowns. But, whatever works on a personal basis.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, if used with a bit of skill, the DE has always given me a superior shave, which is why I continued to use them despite years of advertising blitzes for each round of new cartridges. But, good technique, good prep, and more than one pass are the keys to getting this level of shave. For me, like Bob, there was also always the issue that multi-blade cartridges gave me razor bumps and sometimes burn even though the shave wasn't ultimately as good.
Regards,
Gordon