Dove/Merkur brushes?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
JackieMartling

Dove/Merkur brushes?

Post by JackieMartling »

Does anybody have any experience with Dovo/Merkur brushes? Whereas Vulfix, Simpsons, and Kent seem to get a fair amount of discussion in here, I have not heard a word about the Dovo/Merkur line. (Actually, a member on WetShavers has the Merkur Vision brush, and, allowing for its size difference, he likes it just as well as his Simpsons Super PL 8 and his Rooney - yes, his Rooney.) Classic Shaving offers a whole line of D/M brushes, and they are in line, pricewise, with Vulfix, but with the added benefit of greater handle variety. One in particular that appeals to me is a "silvertip" with a 30mm knot and a genuine ebony handle, for $130. In terms of knot size and price, it's equivalent to a Vulfix 41, and it seems to be a lot of brush for the money. I'm wondering how the hair quality compares. Does anybody have any feedback?
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Joel, thanks for the input. What is it you're less than thrilled about with the Dovo brush? Does it not hold enough water, not generate enough lather, is it too stiff, too soft, or what? What is it you like better about Vulfix/Savile Row? Also, how big is the Micarta brush?
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

That's a fine recommendation coming from someone who has spent "literally thousands" at Classic Shaving! :lol:

But your point is a good one. (Sometimes the best advice is "do as I say, not as I do," because the person who has actually done it learned the hard way.)
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Jackie, I would say that the dovo brushes are a decent starter brush but are overpriced unless you think you will beat the brush up enough to take advantage of the ten year warrenty that they have.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Thanks, Peter. This is interesting: two replies on WetShavers compare Dovo favorably not only with Vulfix, but with Simpsons as well. Here, nobody so far thinks Dovo is as good a brush as those put out by the top makers. It is confusing, certainly. It would be so nice to find a local store where I could actually try out testers of all the major makes and models to see what works. Unfortunately, no such beast exists in my area, so far as I know. This blind buying on the Internet is a challenge.
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Jackie,

I suggest looking at saville row. They are the most reasonably priced brushes i know of. Unless you want a metallic handle on your brush i would go with a non merkur. Those metal handles on tile would shatter a countertop tile if dropped from too far i imagine.
Peter
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Peter, the brush I was looking at has a genuine ebony handle. It seems to be an altogether different specimen than the Futur and Vision brushes (although the hair is probably the same), which I'm not terribly interested in. The handle is low on my list of priorities. First is quality, then size, then price, then finally handle. I figured if the Dovo were on a par with Vulfix or Simpsons, it might be nice to have an ebony handle, rather than the standard faux ivory. But that's only if the brush measures up in every other category first.

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 197381.htm
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Jackie,

Do you know how big a 30 mm brush is? That is GIGANTIC!
Peter
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Is that bigger than a Chubby 3? Maybe I'm being silly. My current brush has a 22mm knot. At first I wanted to go bigger all the way around, like a Vulfix 40 or a PL10. But then, taking my hand size into account, I thought I would like to go with a bigger knot, without increasing height all that much. Both the Vulfix 41 and this Dovo would certainly qualify, but maybe 30mm is too big. I'm guessing at all this stuff, since I can't see the brushes in person. Like I said last week in my AOS thread, I want something that's going to hold more water and heat than the AOS brush. The AOS brush does OK, but it can't hold much water, and gets cold pretty fast. I thought the added heft of a larger knot would help with that, based on other reports I have read. Then again, Chris loves the Kent BK4, which I believe is exactly the same size as my AOS. All of these conflicting reports tend make my head spin. One of these days I'm just going to make a decision and live with it. I just thought I would check out all the angles before I do.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Joel, thanks again for the in-depth feedback. Come to think of it, you're right: I have never read a complaint about Vulfix, either. And, despite personal preference factoring in, seeing just as many, if not more, anti-Dovo as pro-Dovo posts, that is enough to raise concern. Also, good point about the ebony handle. Wood could be problematic in a wet environment. Your comments and insight are appreciated.
Last edited by JackieMartling on Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emsplace
Owner of emsplace.com

Post by emsplace »

Hey guys, can't resist a comment about wooden handle shaving brushes.

I have a thing (aka fetish) about wood in general and wood handle brushes. Probably because I live in Oregon. Anyway, think about all the daily use items made out of wood and holds up in a wet environment when taken care of. Wood siding on houses, paint brushes, fine quality kitchen knives and so forth. They will weather over time, but lends character.

Wooden handle shaving brushes are no different. The main thing about wood (and metal for that matter) is that a little extra care should be taken. Shake excess water well and in this case would suggest a holder.

It is nice to have a variety of handle options and with care wood, and metal, are long lasting and an alternative to the polyester, acrylic, plastic, resin and other types of materials on the market which are also nice - and long lasting.

Just food for thought... as the saying goes.

In regard to Merkur/Dovo brushes I can speak to the ones that come in the sets, like the Vision and Futur, with the slim line handle design. In the silver tip I feel the bristle quality is extremely good to excellent and on what many forum members might call the stiff side. The knot is a slim line also and according to my calipers show about + 22mm. Merkur/Dovo also has other brushes as mentioned on this thread that have totally different handle/s and knots than the ones I mention here.
Em
Em's Place, Vendor