Digital Camera

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Digital Camera

Post by rtaylor61 »

Gents,

Thinking of a new digital camera for Christmas this year, providing my Christmas bonus comes through as expected. I currently have a Sony 3.1 megapixel, so thinking at least 5.1 this time. Not a pro, in fact, most of my pics have been in the SOTD!

Suggestions?

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

What will you use it for?

How would you describe your skill level?

Is there something wrong with the Sony you have now that you feel you need to upgrade it?

Finally, how much are you interested in spending?
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Good questions! The Sony is a small one, and I have a problem with blurring all of my pics. I actually use a tripod for my SOTD pics.

The main use will be just snapshots. I'm no pro, although I have used a 35mm SLR since '79. Not looking to be Ansel Adams, but I want the family snaps or whatever to be quality. With the holidays coming, the sales should be good, so I plan to spend around $400.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

Well then that discount's SLR's.

For <400 I'd recommend either the Canon A610/620 or if you prefer a slimline camera the Canon SD550.

Click the camera names for links to reviews.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Clark,

Thanks for the info. My daughter had an Elph a couple of years ago, then opted for a Canon Rebel SLR. I've got some research to do on this. My Sony is two years old, and hasn't gotten much use, but I plan to change that, especially since cameras with more megapixels have come down in price.

I started thinking about this based on the quality of the pics being posted in the SOTD thread...damn, this shaving thing is getting REAL expensive!

Randy
Barry

Post by Barry »

clarkkent333 wrote:Well then that discount's SLR's.

For <400 I'd recommend either the Canon A610/620 or if you prefer a slimline camera the Canon SD550.

Click the camera names for links to reviews.
Randy,

I own the SD500 - the predecessor to the SD550. I'm not sure what the differences are - I know the SD550 has a larger LCD screen. So far I have been happy with it. I didn't take my avatar picture with it - that was with an iSight webcam. The SD500 is a very slim camera and will fit in your shirt pocket with room to spare. Mine has a lot of features but I have read some reviews that say that it lacks a lot of the manual features many people enjoy using. I have not really explored the manual features yet.

It's fun. I enjoy it - I took some of the 5 or so pictures on my blog with this camera. I will take some over Thanksgiving and post 'em too.

Barry
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Barry wrote:I own the SD500 - the predecessor to the SD550. I'm not sure what the differences are - I know the SD550 has a larger LCD screen. So far I have been happy with it. I didn't take my avatar picture with it - that was with an iSight webcam. The SD500 is a very slim camera and will fit in your shirt pocket with room to spare. Mine has a lot of features but I have read some reviews that say that it lacks a lot of the manual features many people enjoy using. I have not really explored the manual features yet.
Barry
I have this camera and it takes great photos, not the quality of a Rebel SLR Digital, but good for its size. I find the size of this camera to be its greatest asset. I can carry it anywhere in my pocket. If you have carry your bulky digital camera in a special bag, you won't take it anywhere and won't use it save for special occasions.
Richard
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

id like a cheap cam so i can take SOTD pics and others, such as for my razor for sale. so i dont need the 5 mega pixel. any suggestions for something cheap, slim, decent pics and longer battery life?

sam
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Randy, I have a 5.0 meg pix camera and I use it on a much smaller setting most of time for emailing and posting forum pictures. It seems that unless you are making over 8 X 10 prints more than 3 meg pix is overkill. I don't think the average Joe taking holiday and casual photos needs more than 3.0 meg pix. My camera is an Olympus something or other. I'm at work so I don't have it to look at.

Tony Espo
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
DoubleE

Post by DoubleE »

The rule of thumb is a 3 megapixel camera will give you a nice 5x7, a 4 megapixed, a nice 8x10, and a 6 megapixel, an 11x14.

This is a generalization but relatively accurate. I've shot Canon's for years and think they are some of the best. I like some of the ones mentioned for their size and pocketability.

The SD550 is plenty of camera at 7 megapixel. More quality than you will likely ever need but it's better to have too much than too little. You can always shoot your SOTD at reduced settings. The SD550 is a 5 megapixel camera and will do a nice job also.

If you wanted a great camera you could grow with and have a lot of control over, the Canon G6 is wonderful. I just checked B&H and it's $529.00. This would be my first choice of any of the point and shoot cameras IF you're looking for a little bit bigger camera. The screen on it swivels outward from the back of the camera so you can see it at any angle. Excellent camera for the money. If you're looking for another small camera, look at the others.

Also, check out the Pentax Optio S6, another nice, small, very pocketable camera.

Take a look at B&H photo. They're probably the largest camera retailer in the US and I have ordered from them many times.

www.bhphotovideo.com

Jerry
Last edited by DoubleE on Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

any recs for me jerry?

sam
DoubleE

Post by DoubleE »

Sam:

Sorry, I hadn't forgotten you. I was looking on B&Hs website again. I personally don't have any experience with any of the smaller megapixel cameras. As I mentioned, I would always rather have a little more, well for me, a lot more, than I need and then just dial it down.

Check out the Nikon Coolpix 4600. It's a nice 4 megapixel camera and it's only $179.00 at B&H.

I prefer to stick with Nikon, Canon, and Pentax when it comes to digital cameras. Good cameras and software as well. While I don't own Nikons, many of my friends shoot them and they are great cameras.

Jerry

Sam, I just went back and it has a click here for lower price. $149.95!!

It's not pocketable but it's pretty small. You'll pay a lot more if you want the very slim styles.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

my daughter got a nikon. kewl, ill have to check it out. thanks

sam
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Jerry,

Maybe what you are really telling me is that I should learn the camera I already have! I still have two Pentax 35mm SLRs, a ME SE (high school graduation present) and a ME Super. My current camera is a Sony DCS-P8, which is a 3.2 mega-pixel. I guess my complaint is that I can't hold it steady...may be TOO small. I'll get a bit more familiar with it. My sister has the same camera and uses it extensively, so maybe I can get an education while I visit this week!

Thanks to all for the input...still got one on my mind!

Randy
LXE

Post by LXE »

Randy,

If your Sony DSC-P8 takes Memory Sticks for removable media and you have a considerable investment in Memory Sticks, you may wish to stay in the Sony family. On the other hand, if you are not averse to transferring saved pictures to new media, that is less of a consideration.
ALEXEI
The academic community has in it the biggest concentration of alarmists,
cranks and extremists this side of the giggle house.
- William F. Buckley, Jr.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I purchased only one media stick, and then transfer over to my computer. Any pic that of importance, I have printed. But you do bring up a good point. I actually have more SD cards because I use several PDAs.

Randy
DoubleE

Post by DoubleE »

Randy:

Your not-so-sharp picture are likely the result of camer shake. Support the camera in your left palm and of course, your right hand will be on the camera's right side with finger on shutter button. Now, pull your elbows into your chest for support. The two elbows, plus the camera against your face will help form a type of tripod and minimize camera shake. As you depress the shutter button, gently push depress it, don't stab at it as this will cause the camera to move.

Give these a try and see if it helps with the sharpness of your pix.

Jerry
PonyPlayer

Post by PonyPlayer »

Jerry,

I am looking at digital cameras and photo printers. Do you have any recommendations on the printers? I like the idea of the Kodak Easyshare system but I hate the 4X6 limitations of the printer. I really like the Cannon PIXMA iP6600D printer and for the price it seems to be just right. I've heard from several sources that to "maximize" the quality of your photos, you should use the same brand of camera/printer.....??

I currently have a Cannon A40 but am looking to upgrade to a 4-6M pixel camera.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick
DoubleE

Post by DoubleE »

Patrick:

I'm a firm believer in staying with the same manufacturer for camera & printer. The 6600 D would likely fit the bill nicely. It or it's bigger brother, the iP5200R - link below.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... ype=search

The only other printer I would recommend would be a comparably priced Epson. They make great color printers as well. Search B&H's website for Epson printers just to check but if you're buying a Canon camera, I'd probably buy the Canon printer. I have one and it does a great job.

Jerry
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Patrick, I like the HP Photosmart. It does a good job of printing on photo paper.