Taylor cream recommendations...

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Jordan

Taylor cream recommendations...

Post by Jordan »

I currently use the following creams and love the scents:

- Trumper Sandalwood, Rose, and Limes
- T&H 1805

I'd like to try Taylor's, can you recommend scents that you've had experience with that might be similar? (btw, I've smelled T&H almond, Lavender, and Limes and don't like them at all)

Thanks for your input!

Jordan
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Mr. Taylor and Shaving Shop are my favorites, followed very closely by the St. James Collection. I haven't tried Eton College, but I have samples on the way and I hope it is included. Try emailing them and asking for samples, you can get the address off of their website.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Jordan, I've only used Taylor Lavender and Avocado. Like you, I just can't get into their Lavender, and while I find the Avocado more palatable, its still a bit strong on scent for my taste. It could just be that I'm not keen on Taylor scents. The next one (and possibly last) I'll try, though, is the rose. I have heard some raves about it, and Gordon says the the rose is his favorite Taylor cream. From what I understand, it is more sublte than the strong rose in the Trumper (which I adore), as well as a bit more complex, having some other notes in it.

Nathan

-Edit-

Oops, you said you didn't like T&H lavender, not Taylor lavender. My mistake.
Last edited by JackieMartling on Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

Eton College is an interesting scent that I really like. It smells like polished wood (but not furniture polish). It reminds me of the way it would smell in a wood paneled room in an old manor house filled with ancient furniture. I'm not sure if this description makes sense to anyone but me, but I think it's defineately worth trying.

Rick
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Their sandalwood smells nice, even though according to others it doesn't smell like real sandalwood (I'm not a sandalwood expert). I have Taylor Lavender also and I haven't decided whether I like it or not.
Richard
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Taylor Lemon/Lime is nice and so is Rose.
Englishman

Post by Englishman »

Chris will think I'm a freak show, but I really like their Sandalwood cream... I can still smell it on my face now... Yummy.

Cheers,

Rico.
YS

Post by YS »

Of all the three T’s Taylor has the best lather bar none and they provide a quality shave time after time. St. James and Eton College are great creams and wonderful scents (St. James is great prior to a busy day; it is very clean / calming. Eton College is wonderful on cold days…)
I got the Shaving shop cream which I used twice (tube) and I cannot get use to the smell; I think it is the cedar smell that gets me. I am thinking, after using it twice, about putting the tube for trade - the performance of the cream is great.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

Lex you got a PM

YS
Last edited by YS on Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer.

RWA
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Thanks for all of the replies... this forum is great!
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

Jordan:

I think I've tried all of Taylor's. If you like both sandalwood and limes, I would definitely suggest trying Shaving Shop and Eton College (both fall in the general citrusy/woody category). Mr. Taylor is more of a "classic" cologne scent--very different from the much more modern 1805. St. James is a herbacious, very interesting fragrance, more subtle than either Mr. Taylor or Shaving Shop. I find the rose very strong, and the sandalwood quite peculiar (I prefer Trumper's). Needless to say, eventually you should try all of them!

Maynard
dirtdude

Post by dirtdude »

Jordan,
I have only tried Taylor Rose and Lavender. I highly recommend both. I also find the performance of Taylor to be equal to Trumper and Harris and superior to Salter.
Dennis