DE's or Str8's for wet shaving?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
AceHarddrive

DE's or Str8's for wet shaving?

Post by AceHarddrive »

I know Charles Roberts (RMWS) advocates the use of DE's for wet shaving, but I have become used to using a straight razor Do any of you advocate/recommend the use of DE's over str8's for wet shaving. What about straights over DE's? I like the fact that 1)There is the "connection" to an even earlier period of shaving, and 2)There are no blades that need to be thrown away. I don't like the fact that 1)You have to learn how to keep your razor properly honed and stropped, and 2)There is still a learning curve with learning to use a straight. I have used both Mach 3's (still have to finish a shave because of a mole on my cheek) and straight razors.

:wink:

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Hey Tim,

I like the str8 and do not have trouble keeping them sharp. I like it for the history part like you and I went back to an earlier time in my own life when everything was so much simpler....

I like the DE though if I want to take a long time shaving... lather more often, more passes, just enjoy the shave for a bit longer. It takes two passes with the str8 and four with the DE (usually). My beard has a wierd grain to it...LOL

I think either one is great. I don't use the M3 types or multi blade disposables (unless I get stuck on a trip ... which doesn't happen often because I don't travel .... hahahahaha ... did once.... lousy shave)

Use whatever makes you happy... but if you choose the str8, you might want to learn as much as you can about honing and sharpening. I bought a couple old razors on ebay for practice and one of them has turned out to be one of my favorite shaving razors!

No matter where you go, there you are!!!

Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

Thanks, Larry! I belong to the Yahoo group "StraightRazorPlace." There, it is "advised" that you should buy your first straight from an "expert" preferably one of the contributors to that forum who are VERY knowledgeable about straight razors. These people hone and strop their razors into a keen shaving edge prior to shipping them off. Most usually, these razors are part of this person's "VAST" collection of razors and who is willing/needing to "thin out the herd." I got my first - a Wade & Butcher Special, from the owner of the group, a man named Lynn Abrams (known as adjustme69 on Yahoo).
Usually I get my shaving gear from Ray at ClassicShaving.com. Great buncha guys (and a coupla ladies)! Same here, I might add! :D

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave