In praise of experimentation

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
kpf1979

In praise of experimentation

Post by kpf1979 »

Trying to figure out how to shave with a DE has been quite the experience. Mostly good, sometimes painful, occasionally confounding. I am certainly grateful for all the help and advice present on this board. I’m happy, too, that this forum introduced me to the concept of fidelity. I’m convinced sticking with the same setup (for the most part) has helped me get the hang of wet shaving/DE shaving a lot faster than if I would have been constantly trying out new gear.

My biggest problem to date is keeping an appropriate, and consistent blade angle. I don’t think I ever shaved with a truly fixed head razor before switching to a DE, and I shaved with a electric for years prior to getting my first safety razor. My technique really needed a lot of work. My last two shaves I used a Bic disposable due to its reputation as a gentle razor, and one that is fixed with a very user friendly blade angle. The first shave was exclusively with the Bic (with decent results); for today’s shave I used the Bic for the first pass, and my HD for the second and third. A much improved shave. No, the shaves aren’t perfect, and yes my technique still needs refinement, but the results are exactly what I was looking for. The Bic is acting as a sort of blade angle trainer for me; it’s also helping me understand what shaving with no pressure really means.

With a bit of common sense, and creativity, I’ve found a way to isolate, and work on my biggest issues. We all take somewhat winding roads learning to get a proper shave (some longer than others), and I’m happy I’ve found something that will work for me. Here’s to sensible experimentation to help make that road as smooth, and short as possible.

-Kevin
Paddywhacked

Post by Paddywhacked »

Hi Kevin,
Nice to see another fellow Michigander around here.
It is a big jump when you begin to use a fixed head, and it takes a bit for the face to get used to the DE as well.
Eric
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Completely agree Kevin, we all have to find our own way but the destination is worth the journey.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Kevin, Absolutely, and glad to hear that it's coming along. Coming from where you did, to a DE razor, is rarely seamless or rapid. The use of a single edged Bic as sort of 'training wheels' for the move into DE use is something I've often suggested to newcomers in the past. It's often very helpful, as it is plainly being for you. Good work, and keep at it.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Kevin

Nice to read that you're getting 'there' Its a fun journey to make, enjoy and embrace the ride

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
kpf1979

Post by kpf1979 »

Thanks for the kind replies, gents. It’s a nice reminder that some of the more experienced members keep an eye on this part of the forum.

Using the Bic has revealed a surprising number of issues I need to work on. I started this experiment to help with blade angle, and it has certainly done that. Additionally, the Bic is helping me develop a much lighter touch. I thought I was using little pressure before; it turns out I was actually adding pressure to compensate for an incorrect blade angle. I suspected this might be the case with some of my worst (read most uncomfortable) shaves, but I confirmed it after a few shaves with the disposable. Much to my surprise, I found I was using too much pressure even on my good shaves.

I’m not sure how much longer I’ll use the Bic, but I suspect it will be for a few more weeks, maybe to the end of the month, to help me lock in my technique. Honestly, I’d rather use the safety razor for the whole shave because it’s so much more enjoyable, but I don’t mind if I have to use the disposable, then switch to a DE as long as the results are good.

-Kevin
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Kevin, I wouldn't hurry. To the end of the month sounds reasonable to me. Better to take it slow, and get it right. This isn't a race, afterall. Let us know how it's coming along.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Kevin, you've made the decision to make the change, and that first step is the most important. You've got all the time in the world to explore and thanks to our fellow participants here on the forums, we've got somebody to listen and to talk with about it all.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
kpf1979

Post by kpf1979 »

Yes, I have all the time in the world to improve and to explore, and I am grateful for that. :) I’m not really in a hurry to ditch the Bics, I’m sure I still need their help. My comment about using them for a few weeks, or until the end of the month is simply my most honest assessment of how long I’ll need them. If it turns out to be longer, that’s fine. As you rightly point out, Gordon, this is not a race. The last thing I want to do is rush through learning how to do this properly. After all, I’m only hurting myself, both literally and figuratively, if I do.

I’ll make sure to post updates. The advice and encouragement is invaluable; it serves as a nice record for myself, too. :D

-Kevin
kpf1979

Post by kpf1979 »

It has been a little while since I posted in this thread, I though I would post a brief update. The Bics keep performing nicely. It’s not an exaggeration to say they have completely changed the way I think about blade angle, and the way I handle my razors (both the Bics, and my DEs). Things are starting to feel more natural, and I’m shaving faster, and (more importantly) more comfortably as a result.

It’s nice to just shave without having to worry so much about technique.

-Kevin
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

I feel the same way about my current blade although it is nearing the end of its useful life alas!
Alan
[Currently]
1979 Wilkinson Bonded Razor
Bonded Blade Cartridge
Boar Brush
VDH SS
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Since Bic Sensitives are "weightless" I think they teach to use a safety razor with firm no pressure strokes and not to depend on it's weight. Some do depend and it might perhaps give some changed characteristic on the DE downwards strokes. Myself I hold my DEs near the balance point though.

Bic Sensitives teach also the "no pressure" concept. It is not possible to shave like with a pivot head cartridge razor or Bic single blade disposable will "tear up" your face if pressed down.
Jarmo
kpf1979

Post by kpf1979 »

Alan and JarmoP, thanks for adding your comments.

I’ve been meaning to update this thread for some time now, but some recent computer problems have really limited my ability to get online.
I’m not sure how much longer I’ll use the Bic, but I suspect it will be for a few more weeks, maybe to the end of the month
It turns out this guess was just about right. I tried a quick two pass shave with my DE before a morning doctor’s appointment with great results. This was at the beginning of the month (October), and I haven’t used a Bic since that shave, except for some minor touchups. That said, I don’t think I’m totally done with the Bic disposables.

They helped me to develop a real awareness of the razor, and helped me judge angle and pressure by feel alone. I didn’t have to think as much about how I put the razor to my face because the angle came more naturally. The Bics are an impressive training aid. I have four or five left, and I believe I will finish the bag. I will use them to make sure bad habits don’t creep back into my daily shave.

-Kevin
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Kevin, Thanks for the follow-up, and there you go. Your experiance mirrors that of a a number of other newbies who have joined the shave forums over the years, and is why I often recommend this approach to the learning curve. Very glad to hear that it worked well for you also.
Regards,
Gordon
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

The best single phrase I have heard on this board is-

Shave your beard...not your face!!! :idea: