~the ONE~

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Big Swifty

~the ONE~

Post by Big Swifty »

Hello gents,
Now I know that ALL OF YOU are sitting on a soap and cream stash that will more than likely outlive you and your heirs, but hypothetically speaking, what if for some strange reason you had to discard all of your soaps and creams and keep only one to use for the rest of your life, what would you settle on? What is your holy grail of shaving soap/cream? Don't you hate these stupid pointless qustions?
For me it would have to be my Harris almond shave soap... my favourite. as far as scent/lather/lubrication this soap has it all. priceless

Honorable mention~
Penhaligons English Fern shave soap
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Sreve

This is smf so of course you couldnt resist the honourable mention even though your whole entire question is based on the one and only number ONE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Answer: trumpers rose soap

clive

PS and please please please pretty please on knees with cherries on top fellow respondents, one ONE ONE ONE only hahahahahaha
de gustibus non est disputandum
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

My experience with soaps is still very limited. My present hoard is all of two pucks of Mitchell's Wool Fat. I 'need' to buy more.
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

I second Clive..... Geo. F. Trumper Rose Soap... It is typically my only soap in the bathroom dedicated to shaving. I have my current bowl and 2 refill pucks!
Mike
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Cella.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

The Fat, of course.

Regards,
Last edited by gagarin on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”
AFG

Post by AFG »

I'm going with Trumper's coconut oil cream. I've never tried the soap version but love the cream.
Al
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

D.R. Harris - Almond - Shaving Soap.
Regards,
Jani
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i have trumpers coconut oil in soap and cream and also MWF

i love them both..but the MWF wins...i have two pucks of mwf,,do i have to give up the second puck too?

marc
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

T A B A C
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

If it were only one, it would be the Valobra Shave Stick (converted into a cake) or Art of Shaving, which is almost the same and presumed to be made by Valobra.

A close runner-up is Cella.

I have some Martin de Candre on the way from France and, based on what I have read about it so far, I'll be curious to see how it fits into all of this. As it is, I have a huge stash of Valobra Shave Sticks, AoS soap, and Cella.

- Murray
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

That's an easy one.... :D

Regards,
David
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

J.M. Fraser's Original -- only because I can't decide between Trumper's Almond, Lime or Rose (soaps).
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Coate's Lavender shave cream....if I could still get it. Other than that, I don't know....there are at least half a dozen. Perhaps the T&H Lavender cream.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

bernards66 wrote:Coate's Lavender shave cream....if I could still get it. Other than that, I don't know....there are at least half a dozen. Perhaps the T&H Lavender cream.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon's post really shook me, considering that I KNOW the answer to the question in my case, but believe me, I've been very lucky to have a bit of original Coate's Lavender, and that would have been my answer if such a thing were possible, but since it isn't, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever. And I've probably got enough of my "holy grail" to last me about 5 years ---- JM Fraser's + all of the little Fraser's chicks, Mosswood, Oriental Spice, Polar Ice, and Jake's. Oh dear, I've insulted my other favorite, Castle Forbes Cedarwood, but since there can only be one, I'm sticking with Fraser's. Always have, always will. Done deal.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

DRH Almond Shaving Soap

Mike
95%

Post by 95% »

In my toy universe, I am allowed ONE soap and ONE cream.

Valobra Balsamo soft soap
Trumper's Violet cream.
Porter
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

The upcoming re-release of original formula Coate's Tea Tree SC (yes, I'm optimistic ) :)
Rob
J T

Post by J T »

M W F
~ Jack
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Any one of the Harris soaps would be fine with me.

And having an honourable mention/runner-up/also-ran is cheating. :lol: