pungent rose scent

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
gil3591

pungent rose scent

Post by gil3591 »

ok, ok, we've talked and polled about rose scents till we're blue in the face. but as i recall these were discussions about the best smelling rose. to me they all smell just fine. my problem is that i want to smell it while i shave. i had tobs rose and had to stick my nose in the tub to get a whiff. so the question is: what is the mose pungent rose shaving cream in your opinion?? i think the last time i went down this path was before harris came out with their rose. so i guess this won't be totally redundant
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
SRD

Post by SRD »

Well I supposed that everyone's sense of smell is a little different but to me the Trumper's Rose has the strongest rose scent. I have used them all except T&H so I can not comment on their rose.
Dave
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

My vote would go Trumpers cream. However, it has been a few years since I have caught a whiff.
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

All the rose scents (at leat all I have used) are fleeting. I perceive T&H to have the strongest scent.
Eric
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeah, probably Trumpers...or the new D R Harris's version. Both are decidedly more powerfully scented than the T&H ( which is the one I personally most prefer ) or the present Taylors. But honestly, none of them are that wimpy scent-wise, IMO. But go with the Trumpers or the Harris's....even Sam can smell those ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Funny, to me Trumper´s comes across as the mildest scented of the rose creams. I guess it´s down to how I perceive the lushness in the Trumper´s scent.
Eric
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I second Gordon's comment on the Trumper's Rose. I am currently using Cyril Salter's Rose cream. I find it great smelling and the smell last quite a long time as I shave. I would recommend either of these two rose creams.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Gordon hit the nail on the head with with Trumpers and Harris. Of thw two I find Harris the stronger scented and the better performer (by far).
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

bernards66 wrote:Yeah, probably Trumpers...or the new D R Harris's version. Both are decidedly more powerfully scented than the T&H ( which is the one I personally most prefer ) or the present Taylors. But honestly, none of them are that wimpy scent-wise, IMO. But go with the Trumpers or the Harris's....even Sam can smell those ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
For some reason, I did not get on with the T&H rose. Trumpers or Taylors for me, and maybe if I can retry Salters.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Trumpers seemed to be the more scented for me but I haven't used the new Harris.
Regards,
Squire
AFG

Post by AFG »

Try Queen Charlotte's rose. Strongest rose scent of any I have used. Does not stick around after the shave but follow it up with some Trumpers Coral Skin Food and you'll be smelling roses for awhile. Queen Charlotte's rose version smelled very artificial when I first tried it but I got to like the scent and it seemed to mellow after it had been opened a couple of weeks. I think their products are among the best.
Al
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

So, strong is not always a good indicator of the qualities of a soap or cream.

I highly recommend one get a sample of AOS Rose cream and then purchase a rose from a florist. IMHO, your will find the subtle, fragrant aroma of the AOS Rose to be equal to the real rose and almost exact. Plus, the AOS Rose gives great, rich, comfortable lather. You simple cannot go wrong with the AOS.

I know you are looking for "most pungent" posts, but wanted to provide my thoughts.

Ed
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

am i missing something here? i can't seem to find an AOS rose soap or any AOS soaps. only lavender, lemon, sandalwood creams. what's up?
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gil, Where are you looking? AoS offers four men's shave creams; Sandalwood, Lemon, Lavender, and Unscented. They offer the same four in hard soap format but these are not promoted nearly as much and many shops that 'stock' AoS don't necessarily carry the hard soaps. Several places have the creams in Tampa, for example, but none of them have the hard soaps anymore. Their Rose is available only as a cream and is marketed as a ladies product. It also seems a bit different in formula as compared with their other four shave creams.
Regards,
Gordon
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

guess i'll look around some more
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Gil, I just shaved yesterday morning for the first time with T&H Rose cream.
If you need something more intense than what I experienced, you better start crushing fresh rose petals into your lather!. Wowsa. :shock:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
stagger

Post by stagger »

TOBS rose for me. Plenty of scent there. I can smell it as soon as the lid comes off, and for that, i am thankful. I LOVE the fine scent of rose.
Regards,
Mark -
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

AOS offers a rose as part of their ladies shaving kits. It is not overly promoted but I do still see it on the shelves in their shops. It does smell quite nice and I have heard others saying it is quite good.
Good shaving,

Gary
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

stagger wrote:TOBS rose for me. Plenty of scent there. I can smell it as soon as the lid comes off, and for that, i am thankful. I LOVE the fine scent of rose.
I am with Mark!!
nelson

Post by nelson »

I've used T&H, Taylor, Salter, and Trumper rose shaving creams at one time or another. I think that all of those creams have fairly pungent scents. Based on scent alone, Trumper has been my favorite, although I do like the other three as well. Based on my perception of their "goodness" as shaving creams, my favorites are Trumper and Taylor, although the T&H and Salter products are also good.

nelson