Forgot How Good C&E Sienna Soap Is

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jww
Woolly Bully

Forgot How Good C&E Sienna Soap Is

Post by jww »

So - this morning I pulled out my wooden bowl of Sienna soap and my Semogue 1305 just because.

Now - I am not sure whether it was the soap, the brush, or the combination of the two - but boy-o-boy did I get a great result. I hadn't used this soap in probably 8 months at least -- but it sure worked well on this after-the-blustery-stormy day shave.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Yeah, I think Sienna got a bum wrap all around. It always lathers easily and luxuriously for me, love the scent (YMMV), and performs exceptionally well for me. After C&E dropped the line I snapped up all the shaving soaps I could find (a couple bath bars of it too. For some reason I didn't like the shaving cream as much as the soap so I only have one tube of the shaving cream). I've got a fair amount of creams and soaps (as anyone who's seen the recent pic of my shave den can tell) but Sienna's a favorite.
Gene

Post by Gene »

I was at one of their stores a while back and bought a puck of...something. I honestly can't remember (old brain).

To my nose the Sienna and their sandalwood are too close to call scent wise.

Great performer, though, I'll give you that...whatever I bought.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I got rid of the soap a while ago and hated to but it was just not performing for me. The scent however is incredible. I really would like to revisit the soap at some point but my days of "super lathering" are over. I use to mix it with glycerine or KMF unscented to get a really good shave with the amazing scent.
Shawn
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I also have a partially used puck in a wooden bowl that I pull out occasionally. My lovely and talented wife bought it for me on a trip to Houston at the C&E store there.

I love the scent, and it does perform well for me. I am more partial to creams. However, this soap is a nice change up for me.

Still disappointed that they discontinued the line though. I would certainly love another puck.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
SilverKarn

Post by SilverKarn »

Uh, are you guys talking about this soap, for sale on C&E website?

Sienna Shave Soap Refill
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

The first C&E soap I bought was the Sienna actually, I have since moved onto the Sandalwood which is on my favorite list and as you can see my trusty EW #12 sits atop it. :wink:

Doesn't really matter which soap you buy, they all lather very well and are quite the bargain! 8)
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Don't have any of the C&E soaps but have Sienna, Nomad, Sandalwood and Sweet Almond Oil creams. Have a couple Almond Oil jars sitting here for the future.

Glad to see that at least they have some Nomad cream left. May have to buy a couple of them for the future.

Found the C&E creams to be great lathering and always get a wonderful shave using them. Agree that it is a shame that C&E discontinued most of their great shaving products.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

SilverKarn wrote:Uh, are you guys talking about this soap, for sale on C&E website?

Sienna Shave Soap Refill
Yup -- and it has a "new" label as well. $8.00 is a great price for this very good performing soap. Beware the scent, however, it's strong, and harsh for some. Funny -- with my scent sensitivities, I don't have a problem with it -- odd, that.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

I agree that, of the C&E soaps, Sienna is great. Excellent scent, great lather, and great shaves. I stocked up on a bunch of pucks when C&E started closing stores.

The Sienna cream, though, was not all that great. At least for me.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Years ago I bought the Sienna soap and could not get a decent lather from it. The scent is amazing though.
About a year ago, I bought a new bowl of it and have found that it performs way better than my first puck ever did. I think they reformulated it, since it could not be found in any stores for quite awhile. The colour is also more whitish and lathers easier and produces thick and slick lather.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

My fav of all the C&E new soaps,but I was lucky enough to get a vintage C&E soap for men and,oh boy! makes the new formulation ones feels like hand soaps...
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I've been working on a puck of Sienna for several months now, and just in the past few days saw the bottom of the wooden bowl appear - and that's with relatively frequent days in which I shave twice (once for the face, once for the head). I can't seem to get rid of the stuff! But since the refills are something on the order of $8, it's an excellent buy.
Regards,
Mike
lradke

Post by lradke »

I almost sold my bowl of Sienna. My wifeput a stop to it telling me I should just wait. I was having a terrible time lathering the C&E soaps (using my badger and boar). But I had a brainwave with my boar (I honestly don't think I am doing anything different...maybe just attitude) and not I can get the best lathers from it. Extremely thick and creamy like they advertise.

I am glad I listened to my wife!
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

I just used this soap yesterday, and got great lather and a great shave with it and my Vulfix 2234 Best. It's a great soap, with a nice scent, though if staying within C & E's range, I prefer the scent of the Nomad, which lathers just as well.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!