Haslinger Shaving Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
LookingGlass

Haslinger Shaving Soap

Post by LookingGlass »

Does anyone have any experience with the Haslinger line of soaps? Looks like it is a company out of Austria. Since I am always looking for something new to collect, I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Ed
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Indeed, yes. Haslinger is sold rebranded by Muhle and by Edwin Jagger. They are a mix of stearates and tallowates, but are not milled soaps. This means they can give great lather and great shaves, but are not long lasting. They are slightly harder than glycerine soaps.
I happen to have chopped up and softened one of each in a double boiler tonight and pressed the mush into wooden bowls. I like the Meersalgen (seaweed) best, and the Honig (honey) next best. The only one that is different in make up is the Aloe Vera.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I thought Haslinger made the old soaps for EJ and Mühle, but the new ones (Sandalwood, Aloe Vera and Sea Buckthorn) are made by some one else. They have similar soap base to Trumper's and C&E and are very good. I guess they are all made by the same manufacturer. The Jagger soaps say "Made in England", as of course do Trumper's and C&E. I would imagine the Mühle soaps do, too.

I've never tried the Haslinger soaps.
Eric
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The maker may have changed, but it's strange that the scents are the same, especially the fact there is such an odd in the Sea Buckthorn/seaweed scent - not too many seaweed scented shaving soaps around. Don't forget EJ razors and brushes are 'Made in England' too.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

I like the Meersalgen (seaweed) a lot. I don't think the EJ and Muehle have the talowate that Haslinger has. I will try the Honig. I do have the EJ Aloe Vera from a while back that I think isn't as good for me, but I do like the scent. I am thinking the Meersalgen and the Sea Buckthorn are quite different scents.
Ron
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

I remember some years ago I tried some Muhle Pinsel soaps from an older formulation, and they were impossible to get any lather from. The newer versions are excellent.
JEFF
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Flash G wrote:I thought Haslinger made the old soaps for EJ and Mühle, but the new ones (Sandalwood, Aloe Vera and Sea Buckthorn) are made by some one else. They have similar soap base to Trumper's and C&E and are very good. I guess they are all made by the same manufacturer. The Jagger soaps say "Made in England", as of course do Trumper's and C&E. I would imagine the Mühle soaps do, too.

I've never tried the Haslinger soaps.
Yes Eric,youre right about them.The new formulations are really good and theyre pretty similar than other made in Uk soaps like Trumpers or C&E Sienna and Nomad.
Araner

Post by Araner »

The one thing that I didn't care for with the Muhle soaps is that the pucks were very small in diameter. They just sort of rattle around in the bottom of the shave mug. They don't melt and I'm not into the grating thing.

Other than that, they performed well in the lather department.

Mike
MercV12

Post by MercV12 »

Love Haslinger! Good stuff.
Larry

The Ernest Borgnine of Slantological Shaving