WOOD HANDLE SECRET

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
malocchio

WOOD HANDLE SECRET

Post by malocchio »

How do the old portuguese wet shavers keep those old wood handles so good looking on their shave brushes ?? it's been a secret for a long time,but now with the wonder of internet power,you can find the mystery out for yourself...I have known about this for awhile,from an old post on a portuguese shave forum....the secret is an antique product that has been around since the year I was born ! ENCERITE...a small can will last you a long ,long time,even if you have a dozen brushes with wood handles...you rub it on,let the brush sit for an hour,then rub it off.encerite cleans,shines,and protects the wood..this stuff is made to be used by hand,not machine....it is a very moist wax-cleaner and comes in several tints and sizes...I use the neutral,and it works great...

nathanb

Post by nathanb »

Thanks for the great tip! I have a Semogue Owners Club 2 band with a wood handle on the way and will want to keep it looking good. 8)
-Nathan
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

I guess you would have to have a wood handle that wasn't sealed with epoxy or something else; the wax wouldn't be able to be absorbed into the wood. Same problem with most wood furniture made since the 1960's; it has been sealed and none of the commercial furniture waxes or other "protection" solutions get to the wood. It just sits on top of the finish and gets wiped off.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
ScottB

Re: WOOD HANDLE SECRET

Post by ScottB »

malocchio wrote:How do the old portuguese wet shavers keep those old wood handles so good looking on their shave brushes ?? it's been a secret for a long time,but now with the wonder of internet power,you can find the mystery out for yourself...I have known about this for awhile,from an old post on a portuguese shave forum....the secret is an antique product that has been around since the year I was born ! ENCERITE...a small can will last you a long ,long time,even if you have a dozen brushes with wood handles...you rub it on,let the brush sit for an hour,then rub it off.encerite cleans,shines,and protects the wood..this stuff is made to be used by hand,not machine....it is a very moist wax-cleaner and comes in several tints and sizes...I use the neutral,and it works great...
I applied carnuba to the handle of my Semogue 1305 after I received it since the handle seems to be painted.
95%

Post by 95% »

I don't have any brushes with wooden handles (except a Semogue 1305, which, as Scott says, is painted.) But this product interests me as a preservative for my wooden soap bowls (Trumper, Taylor, Harris.) They don't appear to have a sealed finish and ought to benefit.
Porter
malocchio

finish

Post by malocchio »

yes ,most modern brushes will have something equal to a "lacquer" or varnishing...with time the coating wears off and encerite will restore the luster,sure you can always re-varnish,but encerite is good also...even with a fresh handle,the encerite will disolve and clean the lather residue off your handle,works really well..a lot of economy brushes,especially those from turkey such as some of the jaguars ,are unvarnished,or uncoated,encerite is perfect for these as well
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Renaissance wax also works very well on a variety of handles including wood and horn.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I can't translate the label but the art work suggests it's a paste floor wax so wouldn't a similar product like Butcher's achieve the same end?.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
malocchio

butchers

Post by malocchio »

I have never used the butchers boston polish,but I am sure there are many good waxes and polishes out there.the encerite is about 10 times softer than the old johnsons floor wax in the can,it really has a lot of wood moisturizers in it...