Muhle R41 New Aggressive Head

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Looks vicious. I have an open comb R99 that will bite if not handled properly. The head looks similar but the R99 doesn't have the gap behind the teeth.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
strohman

Post by strohman »

I love the R41 razors, but I haven't used any of them. I think this is the 3rd version. I would love to hear some reviews from people who have used them.
SRD

Post by SRD »

strohman wrote:I love the R41 razors, but I haven't used any of them. I think this is the 3rd version. I would love to hear some reviews from people who have used them.
I have I guess the second generation. It is a VERY Mild OC. Not at all like the Gillette new.
Dave
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

The English Shaving Company is selling them at a nice (around $45) price plus 15 % discount on top. http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... /@c@bMuhle
Ron
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I wonder if Edwin Jagger will come out with a similar one.
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

I think the cap is the same and that TESC would only need the bottom piece of the head so I would think so. Maybe Muehle wants some product differentiation though.
Ron
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I think the number should have changed when the design changes. In Paul's shaving selling site there is still the older version. and you see the model number is same.
http://connaughtshaving.com/mur41.html

Bad policy I think from Muehle to add confusion
Jarmo
druphus

Post by druphus »

JarmoP wrote:I think the number should have changed when the design changes. In Paul's shaving selling site there is still the older version. and you see the model number is same.
http://connaughtshaving.com/mur41.html

Bad policy I think from Muehle to add confusion
Ditto - I have an older Muhle R-41 (which I don't consider particularly agressive - the guy who sold it to me did). The handle appears identical to the current model, but the head is obviously very different. It's hard to imagine how or why these would both be R-41s, when the business end of the razor is so different. Too bad muhle doesn't date-code its heads.
Regards,
Andy
franz

Post by franz »

I think the ambiguity of the model numbers is legendary on Mühle's part.

You really have no idea what anyone is recommending unless you study carefully. It only adds to the mystique. :lol:
Drubbing
Location: Western Australia-4 hrs flight from anywhere else...

Post by Drubbing »

I had the previous R41 and sold it on fairly quickly, as I did Merkur's open. I'm not sure how this would change much, the teeth just drop more noticeably after the blade edge.

I like aggressive razors and only use the 34C and Futur, but the R41 and 11C I tried were meh shavers. Being open they had a bitey feel to them, but had a very small margin of error for blade angle, and shaved really mild. Hopelessly mild for me, they simply wouldn't get close.

Also I found the muhles cheap feeling with their hollow handles and slippy grips.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that they are becoming more available, hopefully we'll see more guys posting reviews here. I like aggressive DE razors, and have no doubt I'll have one of these bad boys before too long. My plan is to use the head on a larger heavier handle I have.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's good to hear. Can't wait to get one.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
franz

Post by franz »

Drubbing wrote:I had the previous R41 and sold it on fairly quickly, as I did Merkur's open. I'm not sure how this would change much, the teeth just drop more noticeably after the blade edge.

I like aggressive razors and only use the 34C and Futur, but the R41 and 11C I tried were meh shavers. Being open they had a bitey feel to them, but had a very small margin of error for blade angle, and shaved really mild. Hopelessly mild for me, they simply wouldn't get close.

Also I found the muhles cheap feeling with their hollow handles and slippy grips.
Mate, the initial reviews I've read put this new head on par with the Joris and possibly exceeding the Fatip for aggressiveness. If only they sold the heads individually - I would say you could put one on a weightier Jagger handle and have a knockout razor for your preferences.

Me, I'll stick with the razors specially designed for comparative wimps and cowards as that's what my face tolerates best. :lol:
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

so why is this razor so much pricier that the old model? maybe the ej version will be priced lower if they come out with it
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

If this is more aggressive than a Merkur Slant, then I'll buy one.

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Love that slant :!:

Regards,
Alan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks to Jerry, I received my own Muhle Tooth Comb yesterday, and gave it a go this morning. It's more aggressive than a Slant. More aggressive than a Barbasol, and others. There is more blade exposure than any fixed head razor I've got. I know that because I compared them with blades loaded.

This tells me I've got to be mindful of the angle, and in some areas I had to go slow and pay attention to keeping the angle a little smaller when I detected the blade would probably like to take a bite once in a while. This one requires concentration on how the blade resting on the skin feels at all times. A moment of distraction while the razor's on the move could result in a nick or cut.

I received no cuts, nicks, or other incidents. This is definitely not for the beginner. The quality of the shave is superb. This one sings! I'll be happy to include it among my regularly used DEs, in rotation with the SRs.
Gary

Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

Will definitely be looking to purchase one of those......thought I was completely over my acquisitions but noooooooooo.........
Andy
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

I received mine in record time from bullgoose. The first shave with it was with the Derby blade in the Muhle razor box. It's now been 12 hours since the shave, and no discernible stubble yet. This rivals a good str8 shave. This razor is definitely not for those who haven't perfected their shave-fu. To call this an aggressive razor is an understatement. If you've got a heavy beard and good technique, this is your razor. I can't wait to see how it does with a Feather blade. Yeeeehaaaww!

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

I took the plunge and ordered it from the same place. Being in Montreal and backlog due to a recent postal strike and perhaps a little bit of Murphy's law I don't expect to get it in record time but I can't wait to try it either. I am glad to read it works well with Derbys as I have 400-500 of them here.
Andy