Proraso Green

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
strohman

Proraso Green

Post by strohman »

I know this won't be news to most people, but I tried Proraso in the green tub today and absolutely loved it! I have used Bigelow, which is supposed to be Proraso under a different name. It's a decent cream with good menthol, but not the greatest lather.

Proraso in the green tub is excellent! The later whips up easily and the menthol is super cool! I picked this tub up in a bundle with a couple of other soaps, so this was a deal. What's even better, this is a pretty affordable soap/cream. (I'm not sure what to call it, but I treated it like a soap.)
This is a great product that I will be using on a regular basis for years to come!

After using Bigelow in the tube, my expectations weren't overly high, but actual Proraso has exceeded my expectations!
If you are new to wet shaving and haven't tried this yet, I highly recommend it. It's affordable and easy to use!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I was surprised at how much I liked Proraso. Didn't much care for the menthol but the shaves are first rate.
Regards,
Squire
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Because of the menthol's cooling effect it's nice to use it during the summer time. Too bad the red version is no longer available.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

I have always enjoyed the Proraso Green.

Got a quick question to tag along with this post...

Is Proraso Green, Bigelow, and Omega made by the same company? I have used all three and cannot tell much of a difference. They appear to have the same consistency.

Thanks,

Ed
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Unfortunately I don't share this love for the Proraso Green cream or soap. Oh, it has good, in fact, excellent lather, as well as a nice menthol effect, however:

1) The scent disturbs me.
2) The skincare for me is non-existant.

For these 2 reasons, I will not permit this stuff into my shave den again.
JEFF
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I wouldn't dismiss the Bigelow outright since it's available (at least it was) at Bath & Bodyworks in the mall. Even with the price of gasoline. it's cheaper than shipping. The shop girls there are always done to the nines, sure perks me up. :lol:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

LookingGlass wrote:I have always enjoyed the Proraso Green.

Got a quick question to tag along with this post...

Is Proraso Green, Bigelow, and Omega made by the same company? I have used all three and cannot tell much of a difference. They appear to have the same consistency.

Thanks,

Ed
Santa Maria La Novella,Proraso,Omega and C.O Bigelow are made by Ludovico Martelli.
Proraso green,Omega and Proraso Red had lanolin on their formulas at some point.Now Only SMN keeps lanolin on its formula making it the best of the creams made by Martelli IMHO.
drumana

Post by drumana »

I go through phases here and there where I use my Proraso (in the form of C.O. Bigelow). Like Squire, I get first rate shaves from it but in general am not a big fan of the scent and menthol content.
-Andrew-
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Like the shaves, like the effects of menthol (particularly in the warmer weather or after physical activity in any weather) and find that the scent has a somewhat refershing/awakening effect.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Very much enjoy the Proraso Green tub, although I overdosed on it when I was travelling back and forth between Winnipeg and Toronto for close to a year as it was my daily soap. I haven't used in over a year... kind of like eating nothing but KD or Ramen noodles everyday while in University!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
AxelH

Post by AxelH »

I also can't tell any difference between the Proraso green tub (it's consistency is the same as in the tube, IMO) and the tube. strohman: you should try the Ultra Sensitive! It's got a different, refreshing scent! Kind of like a melon, but not sickly sweet, with green tea and aloe I believe. Lathers well, leaves skin feeling good and smells refreshing. I believe it has slightly less menthol, but still feels good.
Lover of cold, hard steel.
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

AxelH wrote:I also can't tell any difference between the Proraso green tub (it's consistency is the same as in the tube, IMO) and the tube. strohman: you should try the Ultra Sensitive! It's got a different, refreshing scent! Kind of like a melon, but not sickly sweet, with green tea and aloe I believe. Lathers well, leaves skin feeling good and smells refreshing. I believe it has slightly less menthol, but still feels good.
The Proraso Aloe & Green Tea soap has a delightful scent, with such rich lather, and it is so soothing. I wouldn't call it a face-freezer, but it has enough menthol to be felt and enjoyed.
JEFF
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Post by Lord Ponsenberry Smyth »

Teiste wrote: Santa Maria La Novella,Proraso,Omega and C.O Bigelow are made by Ludovico Martelli.
Proraso green,Omega and Proraso Red had lanolin on their formulas at some point.Now Only SMN keeps lanolin on its formula making it the best of the creams made by Martelli IMHO.
Well said Teiste.
I think perhaps the more astute soap user might conclude that Prorasso is quite a good soap.... but not a "top shelf" soap like many other Italian and French soaps.
David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )
Advocate for the use of French and Italian soaps.

Post by JarmoP »

My remaining italian toothpaste goes with my Arko soap sliced bowl prep brush loading. It is past the 12 month opening, so I cannot tell how good it is only. It has the nice menthol cooling effect and sort of nice scent too.
Jarmo
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

The Proraso folks did a good job with their menthol. It's not a harsh menthol bomb like the Willliam's menthol shave cream I used this morning. Very pleasant to use if you like menthol but not an overdose.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

a-cut-above wrote:The Proraso folks did a good job with their menthol. It's not a harsh menthol bomb like the Willliam's menthol shave cream I used this morning. Very pleasant to use if you like menthol but not an overdose.
Yes they did--all the Proraso soaps and creams are very decently-mentholated, with the Green version of the soap bowl and tube having the most cooling. However, the part which makes me reject these 2 items are the lack of skincare (at least to me) and the lousy scent. The discontinued red tube which has wheat germ oil has a milder cooling sensation, but it smells very pleasant, and gives my skin which is very sensitive, a very comfortable feeling both during and after a shave. The Aloe & Green Tea soap of Proraso in the white bowl smells to me the nicest, and although I cannot really say I smell menthol in it, it has more of a cooling sensation than the red tube cream.
JEFF
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Too bad the green Proraso doesn't work for your skin. I like it better than some of the other harshly scented menthol products, some of which smell like someone spilled linament in a locker room. I never had the chance to try the red version before it was discontinued. Now I have to try the green based on Jeff's description.....and I swore I wouldn't buy anymore non-tallow soaps.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

a-cut-above wrote:Too bad the green Proraso doesn't work for your skin. I like it better than some of the other harshly scented menthol products, some of which smell like someone spilled linament in a locker room. I never had the chance to try the red version before it was discontinued. Now I have to try the green based on Jeff's description.....and I swore I wouldn't buy anymore non-tallow soaps.
Can you get the white bowl Proraso soap where you are? If not, I can fix you up with one! :wink:
JEFF
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm enjoying the COBigelow branded Proraso so well that I've not ventured to try any of the others, except for the SMN, and it was quite nice, but to my tastes, equal but not superior to the COB at $5 a tube (when on sale) $10 full retail, compared to $60 for an 8 ounce tub of SMN.
Last edited by brothers on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

crackstar wrote:..........Can you get the white bowl Proraso soap where you are? If not, I can fix you up with one! :wink:
Jeff,
No brick and mortar stores in the area but I will tack it on to my next order from one of the usual vendors......unless you have something other to consider. :wink: :wink:
Dave