Travel Kits

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Travel Kits

Post by KAV »

I am curious what people pack while traveling. I know there are smaller brushes with protective cases, toiletry bags and sample size products.
I watched Murder On the Orient Express last night and researched the modern train this morning. I have the redhead for companion, need $1500 and a travelling kit.
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I have a Burma brush stored in a CVS pill bottle I got for the asking. Current cream is HeadBlade (or whatever it's called, in a yellow bottle), so the brush gets no use at the moment; once the HeadBlade runs out, I'll probably go back to a tube of Proraso/Bigelow green. Cartridge razor for traveling right now.
Regards,
Mike
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Kav,

Here's what I travel with. I call it my Portable Shave Den:

And here's the bag that I put all of that gear into:

The bag was $28 shipped from Ebag's store on Ebay.
Cheers,

Craig
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

Let's see:

I travel w/ my Rooney 3/1 Badger in its provided travel tube, a puck of Prairie Creations Lime EO soap, a travel bottle of witch hazel, 7 O'Clock Yellow Blades, my 1949 Superspeed, and some cologne (currently Floris Santal).

I carry it all in a leather shaving kit ordered from North Star Leather, a vendor in South Carolina:

http://www.nstarleather.com/optimizer/product/675.html
John

All men, by nature, desire to know - Aristotle
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Two different travel kits if you will. When flying, it's as simple as possible -- one stick, small bottle of sandalwood skin food (which I replenish regularly) travel size Razor Relief, Semogue 1305 brush (in a pill bottle with holes drilled in the lid for ventilation), alum and a bic sensitive.

Of course I also carry the essentials - deodorant, toothpaste, floss, etc. All packed into my Heys OEM vinyl zip pouch which mounts nicely into my small 4-wheel rollerboard which always gets sky-checked or goes in the overhead if the plane is large enough (I often find myself on regional jets on short hops to Toronto, NY, etc.)

If traveling by land and especially if going for any length of time it's my C&E super badger, two sticks, one or two creams, usually my gold undated tech with a pack of feathers, rose and sandalwood skin food, witch hazel.

Everything packs nicely into my LL Bean Personal Organizer.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

-Simpson Major Super

-QED shave stick

-Usual razor of that week, packed in Merkur plastic case, or Dovo leather case if doesn't fit plastic case.

-Extra pack of blades

-Whatever sampler of an aftershave or balm have on hand. GFT Skin Food samples are perfect. Or, usual bottle of Clinique Post Shave Healer, bottle is small, plastic, travels well.

-EDT sample vials, or skip EDT depending on mood

-JD Hulme travel Dopp bag
Rob
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

i_shaved_something wrote:-Simpson Major Super

-QED shave stick

-Usual razor of that week, packed in Merkur plastic case, or Dovo leather case if doesn't fit plastic case.

-Extra pack of blades

-Whatever sampler of an aftershave or balm have on hand. GFT Skin Food samples are perfect. Or, usual bottle of Clinique Post Shave Healer, bottle is small, plastic, travels well.

What do you think of the Simpson Major Rob? I've always been curious about that model.
Cheers,

Craig
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

I always try to carry on (no checked bags) if at all possible. Here's what I take:

- Full size brush in a plastic brush tube (I don't bother with "travel" brushes)
- Soap in a wooden bowl (DR Harris Almond is a favorite for its consistent good performance and unobtrusive fragrance). I use two rubber bands to hold the lid on.
- Trac II razor
- Clinique Post Shave Healer (it's less than 3 ounces, so it's carry-on legal)
- Usually, I'll pack some Pen's English Fern in a small metal-encased atomizer
Lynn
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:
i_shaved_something wrote:-Simpson Major Super

-QED shave stick

-Extra pack of blades

What do you think of the Simpson Major Rob? I've always been curious about that model.
I think its a great brush, a great small knot that's effective, just big enough. I only use it to face lather. Great hair quaility and quality overall, never shed a hair, no QC issues, looks built to last forever.
Rob
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Where are you thinking of going KAV? How long are you looking to stay?

I myself use an old fashioned Dopp bag in the jumbo size. It's got two compartments - the bottom one holds my soap bar, shampoo and turnback brush. The upper part with it's familiar jaws and spacious interior holds all the other stuff - full size aftershave bottle, shaving soap in a wooden bowl, full size tubes of toothpaste and hair groom, full size comb, talc dispenser (old Yardley shave talc used as a body talc). There are two pouches in this upper compartment one is zipped and it contains any straight razors I use the other pouch has a cigar cutter, matches and cufflinks. Even with all this there's still room for more stuff! To boot it's all black leather!

Happy trails to you, KAV. Hope you find what you're looking for to take on your journey.

Chris
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

woodsrider wrote:I always try to carry on (no checked bags) if at all possible. ...
Yup --- waiting for luggage at the airport can be a challenging experience at times. I only check bags if I am going on an extended vacation.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I can fit most everything in a medium-small daypack, including a handful of razors, and though I'd like to use one of my old Dopp's, it's too bulky, so every item goes into gallon and sandwich-size plastic bags. Not glamorous enough for the Orient Express, but for Metro Link it works. I would like a tub of Fraser's cream; I'd fit it in, somehow.
Ron
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Flying:
(Mail DE blades ahead if I remember and not a hassle.)
Saville Row 3118 in pill bottle with holes
Shave stick in a pill bottle with holes (currently Speick; used up a Palmolive a while back)
Disposable Trac II clone or a BIC single blade disposable
Merkur Travel DE Razor in a little leather pouch (in case I mail blades ahead)
Small styptic pencil
3-4 small hotel shampoo bottles with after shaves for variety
Dopp kit with usual toothbrush/paste, deodorant, meds, Motrin, Tylenol, bandaids, small tube of antibiotic ointment, nail clipper, etc.
(The AS's, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. fit in the clear plastic bag for the inspection.)

Not flying:
Same as above adding Dorco 301ST blades (usually)

Craig: very nice, impressive.

John: the leather shave bags from North Star Leather are now officially on my want list.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
AZShaver

Post by AZShaver »

KAV, when I was a traveling man, I just used a VDH boar, my go to cologne, and VDH soap since it was convenient. I just shook the brush well, tossed it into the Dopp kit and hit the road.

Of course, such a mundane kit would not do justice to the Orient Express or the redhead, but wouldn't reduce the $1500 by much.
Jim
Kirasdad

Post by Kirasdad »

I was recently away on vacation for 10 days and here is what I took:

Razor: Gillette New (501 Special Travel Kit, see below)
Blades: Fresh box of Treet Black Beautys (1 use and I pitch them)
Brush: Semogue 1305 in a brush tube
Soap: TOBS Lavender puck
A/S: Floid Soave (in a travel bottle)

Peace,
Andrew

Those who danced were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Lynn, good show. I pack a Chubby 2 or even 3 on work/vacation and although never a fan of sticks in the past the DR Harris sticks are really growing on me. They don't 'look' like they work but after rubbing them on the face they explode with that same great lather.

Max
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:Kav,

Here's what I travel with. I call it my Portable Shave Den:

I was in Cincy last week and got three DFS's with my travel kit contained in a Totes (a Cincinnati Co.) dopp bag:

Slim Adjustable in a travel soap container with a 1-oz. tube of Pierre Cardin shave cream (to cushion the razor) and a 5-blade carton containing 2 Dorco ST-301's and a Crown blade.

Tubes of Body Shop Shave Cream and Razor Relief, <2008 formula.

My father's Surrey handle with a Synthetic 23mm knot from The Golden Nib in a plastic bag.

A few splashes of Dickinson's Witch Hazel are borrowed during the shave from my mother's stash.

A second Dopp bag contains the other basics: tooth brush, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, etc.

I've yet to make an air trip since starting DE shaving, but if/when that comes, I'm leaning toward a disposable, maybe a Bic Metal.
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Craig...I am totally impressed with the labeling. Made me reach for my P-Touch label maker.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

the Orient Express is on my life list. However, at present I am more likely to ride the rails with the ghosts of Woody Guthrie and Utah Jack Phillips :lol:
I was just curious if people do avail themselves of kit specific to travel with reduced wieght,size or durable containers.
function

Post by function »

KAV wrote: I was just curious if people do avail themselves of kit specific to travel with reduced wieght,size or durable containers.
If I am on short travels I have a very reduced kit:
The often mentioned Bic Sensitive, Stephans Stay Smooth in a 3oz travel tube(from some mega mart) and my homemade a/s consisting of Gin, Witch Hazel and Glycerin again in a 3oz bottle from a mega mart. I bring an edt in a sample vial when I have one. I could lose this it altogether and only be out $10 given depreciation of the basic bag I use.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.